All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Syver Larsen was from where? and went where?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2021 :  15:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask for your help but I've spent considerable time with this particular problem and don't seem to be making much headway by myself. I'll lay out the vital documents I've already uncovered and give you links while explaining the problems I'm having. I'd appreciate your advice and suggestions. My hope is to someday be find earlier documentation for Syver Larsen.

1. Hans Syversen was born out of wedlock 17 Dec 1819 in Gran, Oppland, Norway to bachelor Syver Larsen and maiden 21 yr old Anne Erichsdatter. That record says Syver Larsen comes from Land Prestegjeld, Oppland. I am unable to decipher all of what is written in the far right hand column but that seems to be repeated for other illegimate births also.
Gran prestekontor, Ministerialbok nr. 9, 1815-1824, s. 98-99; record #11 at the bottom of the left hand page; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603850442
Gran prestekontor, Klokkerbok nr. 1, 1815-1824, s. 98-99; record #11 at the bottom of the left hand page; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603850140
I'm NOT concerned with Anne Erichsdatter - I've been able to track her life and her ancestors to my current satisfaction. I'm also NOT concerned with the witnesses/sponsors to the child's baptism. Syver Larsen is of some great concern. I have been unable to locate Syver/Siver Larsen/Larssen in Land Prestegjeld or later in Hadeland - at this current time I'm exploring other nearby districts in southern Oppland... There is no notation of Syver being a soldier which had come to mind but I've had to set aside.

2. Hans Syversen is confirmed 28 Sept 1834 in Gran, Oppland.
Gran prestekontor, Ministerialbok nr. 10, 1824-1842, s. 534-535; record #36; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603860278
This record appears to list his father as Syver Hansen?? (Time for me to panic? No, but it was discouraging to first find.)

3. Hans Syversen marries Karen Amundsdatter in Jevnaker, Oppland 30 Dec 1849. They had a daughter out of wedlock 15 Feb 1848 in Jevnaker and that daughter died 13 August 1850 on Hovelsrudeie in Jevnaker. The marriage record lists his father again as Syver Larsen. Karen Amundsdtr dies 5 Nov 1852 in Jevnaker.
Jevnaker prestekontor, Ministerialbok nr. 6, 1837-1857, s. 196; record #34; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070205640028

4. Hans Syversen marries Anne Halvorsdtr 24 Jan 1854 in Jevnaker, Oppland. The record lists his father again as Syver Larsen.
Jevnaker prestekontor, Ministerialbok nr. 6, 1837-1857, s. 209; record #14; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070205640040
Hans and Anne have 6 children together in Jevnaker. Halvor 26 Aug 1854; Ole Christian 5 Aug 1857; Rolf 7 Dec 1860; Anne Sofie 28 Apr 1864; Karen Oline 28 Sept 1867; and a short lived unnamed male child born 21 Dec 1871. None of those children's records give any indication of Hans father's name or origin.

5. Hans Syversen dies 30 Jan 1873 on Vestern in Jevnaker, Oppland.
Jevnaker prestekontor, Ministerialbok nr. 7, 1858-1876, s. 260; record #8; https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070205640433

The child Rolf Hansen was my great-grandfather, he lived a long life in the US, having many children. His mother and one of sisters lived in the same midwestern US county and I know everything important that happened to them. But Rolf's paternal grandfather, Syver Larsen, remains my haunting mystery. I'm very willing to work and try my darndest but I'm short on new ideas.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2021 :  01:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The note on the baptism says Hans is the first indiscretion of each parent.

So 4 out of 5 records state the father is Syver Larsen and one out of 5 states Syver Hansen. 80% chance its Syver Larsen, right?

Studying the confirmation record, it looks like the clerk got a little confused and started the patronymic first and then had to squeeze the Syver in. Maybe he asked Anne or Hans and they didn't immediately remember and said Hans, or his finger slipped looking it up the books and he took the name from someone else's entry on the baptism page. I could see either of those situations happening pretty easily.

To me Syver Hansen is the outlier and least likely proposition.

Which records did you look for Syver Larsen in Gran?
inflyttedes
utflyttedes
deaths
marriages
and since its hard to leave it at just one
every other illegitimate birth in Gran

So which Land records did you look into for Syver Larsen? Most likely he will be in the 1801 census. Generally, Norwegian women are more discriminating and don't mess around with wet-behind-the-ears partners. So expand the age category as well, since the men seldom give up the pursuit even in their "dotage."

I think Land has a set of bygdebøker. Perhaps someone on the forum has access and can look up every Syver Larsen (thinking the books are online and searchable.)

Edited by - jkmarler on 19/09/2021 01:54:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2021 :  02:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Ho Ho!
The 1801 census for Land has no Syver Larsen but does have 5 Syver Hansen.
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/persons/advanced?from=&to=&jt%5B%5D=13&m%5B%5D=0538&m%5B%5D=0536&firstname=syver&lastname=&birth_year_from=&birth_year_to=&birth_date=&birth_place=&domicile=&position=&event_year_from=&event_year_to=&event_date=&related_first_name=&related_last_name=&related_birth_year=&sort=rel
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2021 :  02:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all of the parishes in Oppland in the 1801 census there are 13 Syver Larsen:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/persons/advanced?from=&to=&jt%5B%5D=13&c%5B%5D=05&firstname=siver&lastname=larsen&birth_year_from=&birth_year_to=&birth_date=&birth_place=&domicile=&position=&event_year_from=&event_year_to=&event_date=&related_first_name=&related_last_name=&related_birth_year=&sort=rel
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2021 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been through Gran and all Hadeland church records of inflyttedes, utflyttedes, deaths, and marriages repeatedly. I don't recall studying children's births in the years around 1819 but I can take the time and gladly do that to see if the same father appears.
I've gone through the 1801 census for all areas close to Gran, Hadeland, Land and even those just neighboring southern Oppland. But 18 years is quite a time gap when you don't have any more info about a man and I'm left with just some names to investigate.

I've struggled through the justisdiction's court records thinking perhaps Syver Larsen was possibly punished for something and I think I'll go through those again just in case my eyes were tired that day.

The probate index for the area is organized by farm name and I've looked for a likely Syver Larsen there but haven't found one YET?? That is an ongoing project...

The bygdeboks for Land I have available on microfilm at a nearby LDS Family History Center but they are not well organized (in my opinion) and not very useable. When the Center reopens after the local Covid scare I can go through that microfilm again.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2021 :  15:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the utflyttes from Land, I don't find any Syver Larsen but there is a Syver Hansen ?Hougrud? age 20 leaving in 1817 to Biri #3:

SAH, Land prestekontor, Parish register (official) no. 7, 1814-1830, p. 286
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603880707

I see him checking into Biri #2 in 1817 but not leaving Biri from 1817 to 1828
SAH, Biri prestekontor, H/Ha/Haa/L0003: Parish register (official) no. 3, 1814-1828, p. 311
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603690112

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  03:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie - I thank you for your efforts. Syver is a true challenge. I've gotten access to the Land books for a short time and I'm going to carefully
look for any more little clues. While I have that access I will also look into the Syver Hansens who could possibily be of interest.
If I find any success I'm sure you will hear me hollering and dancing from all distances... good luck is contagious and should always be shared!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  16:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep up posted. There is a weird possibility that a person might be both Syver and Hans as what happens a lot with the name Carl Johan, in which the children can be known as Carlson or Johanson or Carljohanson. Lykke til.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article