All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Bergensfjord Passenger List 1930
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LSnider
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2022 :  20:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone locate and send me a link to the passenger list for the Bergensfjord? The specific one I am looking for is the sailing from: New York to Bergen in 1930, which departed New York on 16 May, and arrived Bergen, 25 May. Ancestry has no departure list for that day, despite numerous searches, and other online shipping sites have also had nothing I can find. Perhaps, a real genius can obtain both the departure & arrival lists; sadly, I am not that genius! I know, too, not everything IS available. Thank you for your assistance; it is greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Leah Snider

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  01:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norway didn't require ships to lodge passenger lists, likely why you can't find them.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  21:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bergens Aftenblad, Monday 26. May 1930

Bergensfjord from USA with 600 passengers.
Including Brooklyn's biggest man weighing 385 lbs.

A lively afternoon at the Skoltegrund pier.
Bergensfjord had encountered fog off the coast, so the ship did not dock here until 3 PM yesterday. A whole lot of people had turned up and a band was standing on the balcony playing patriotic songs.

The sun was high in the summer sky and the mood was just as high both on board and on land. One amusing invention of the Norwegian-American-Line (N.A.L.) was that national costumes had been procured for the entire female staff. Head teacher Olav Hoprekstad welcomed the long-distance travelers home in national language. This time Bergensfjord had 79 passengers in the cabin, 260 in tourist class and 263 on 3rd class, - a total of 602 passengers.
Of cargo, there were 1332 tons, of which 355 tons were destined for Bergen. Of mail, there were 204 sacks.
Among the passengers we noted Mrs. Prime Minister Lykke, chief physicians Dahlstrøm and Widerø, engineer Bull Øvrevik and Miss Franciska Berg.
Arthur F. Jones, Director of the N.A.L. in the United States were also with the ship.
He stated that a large amount of American tourists can be expected to Norway this year, despite bad times in the States.
As a curiosity, it can be mentioned that Brooklyn's biggest man accompanied Bergensfjord this time.
He weighs no less than 385 pounds and "served as the most excellent ballast on the trip over the duck pond" says one of his fellow passengers.

Bergensfjord at Skoltegrund pier, Bergen, 1926

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/01/2022 06:15:43
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  23:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more names from the passenger list in question.
I doubt you will find a complete passenger list for this direction (USA to Norway), but these names could be used when searching ancestry.com, familysearch.org etc, for a list.

Hans Bull, Bergen
dr. Sigurd Dahlstrøm, Oslo
Mrs Ivar Lykke, Oslo
Leif Sigmonn, Stavanger
dr. Sofus Widerøe and wife, Oslo
Miss Franciska Berg
Mrs Elisa Bockman
C. Hagemann
H.W. Hansen w/fam.
Miss Ellen Darre Jenssen
Henry Atterburry Smith and wife
John Thorsen
Mrs Backe, Oslo
Arthur Jones with wife and son, Kristiansand

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/01/2022 06:14:52
Go to Top of Page

LSnider
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  01:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter & Jackie ---
Thank you both for your responses. I thought there might be no "official" passenger list available, but one always hopes. Jan Peter, I appreciate the newspaper clippings & the translations, too. More information & a better picture of an event provides so much more meaning. I never even thought of your suggestion about using the other names you found to do some searching, but I will try it. New ideas from more seasoned researchers has helped me more than once, recently. I really welcome the suggestions.

Leah Snider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article