All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 *Johan’s genealogical study #3*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2022 :  17:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are 16 children born in Buskerud in 1784 +/- 10 to a father named Elias. None with a name near to Karen Lovise.

Edited by - AntonH on 13/10/2022 17:20:02
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2022 :  17:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This annual has a reference to Nils Pedersen Stubberud:
Tittel
Eikerminne : tidsskrift utgitt av Eiker historielag. 1957 Vol. 3
Serietittel
Eikerminne
Publisert
xx:Historielaget, 1957

But the accessibility is this:
Tilgjengelig etter bestemte vilkår
which Google Translate says means:
Available under certain conditions

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2022 :  00:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonH

I can also find the baptism record for Peder in the Ancestry.com data base, but I do not find any other children for Niels and Astri in the 1782 to 1792 time frame

Peder Nilsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Peder Nilsen
Baptism Date: 01 Jan 1790
Baptism Place: Norderhov,Buskerud,Norway
Father:
Niels Pedersen
Mother:
Astri Bertelsdr
FHL Film Number: 124052

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/3244369:60092

Well, I guess I'm too lazy to live! Thanks for finding.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2022 :  00:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay trying something different in the 1801 census. Karen might be transformed from Karine:

This one might have a "family disfunction"
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058488000088

Here is a 16 year old Karen Eliasdtr in 1801 and father is Elias Nielsen:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:8YMW-CCMM

Here is a 17 year old Karen Eliasdtr in 1801:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:8YMW-R1W2

Here is a 15 year old Karen Eliasdtr a foster child in 1801:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:8YMN-YKPZ

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/10/2022 01:06:48
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2022 :  21:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it a little odd that all of the four girls with father named Elias lived in Nordland. Any rational reason for that?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2022 :  22:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truth is stranger than fiction...

But here are all the Karen Eiliasdatters of every age (since the Digitalarkivet search engine can't limit by time for some reason right now.) at the Digitalarkivet:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/persons/advanced?from=&to=&jt%5B%5D=13&firstname=karen&lastname=eliasd*&birth_year_from=&birth_year_to=&birth_date=&birth_place=&domicile=&position=&event_year_from=&event_year_to=&event_date=&related_first_name=&related_last_name=&related_birth_year=

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2022 :  22:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
(since the Digitalarkivet search engine can't limit by time for some reason right now.) at the Digitalarkivet:

It has been like that for some time. Makes looking for someone who lets say emigrated in 1903 a real pain since you get all the emigrations no matter what year for that person.

Good list but very heavily wighted to Nordland

If we believe the death record and she was born around 1784, then only four of the women fit. Three from Nordland and one from Troms.

Edited by - AntonH on 14/10/2022 22:45:46
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2022 :  03:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope that it will be fixable.

I did look through Kongsberg's births/baptisms of 1784 and I noticed that there were very many fathers listed as being from other districts, but it looks like that practice of identifying "furiners" didn't continue into the 18teens and 20s.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2022 :  03:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
(since the Digitalarkivet search engine can't limit by time for some reason right now.) at the Digitalarkivet:

It has been like that for some time. Makes looking for someone who lets say emigrated in 1903 a real pain since you get all the emigrations no matter what year for that person.

Good list but very heavily wighted to Nordland

If we believe the death record and she was born around 1784, then only four of the women fit. Three from Nordland and one from Troms.

The hard part would be to get her to Kongsberg, though. Maybe she was from Sweden or Denmark?

Edited by - jkmarler on 15/10/2022 03:57:51
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2022 :  00:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, seems that many males made the journey to Kongsberg for mining work, but seems less likely that an unmarried woman would travel very far in the 1700's. Isn't there an old saying that a Norwegian woman was married within 50 km of her home.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2022 :  11:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another old saying, you know you're in a small town if everybody is your friend after you've been there a week but you're still the "newcomer" when you've lived there 50 years....
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2022 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well in this discussion of the family in Slekt og Data it does appear that Niels Hansen Øhrn (Øren) was born about 1735 in Årdal (Lærdal), Sogn og Fjordane. Father appears to be a Hans Henrichsen Øren of Sogn og Fjordane.

https://slektogdata.no/slektsforum/viewtopic.php?t=78918

Knut Bryn was a contributor to this discussion at Slektsforum in 2009. In 2010 he wrote a dissertation on recruitment for Årdal copper works.. Copper mining at Årdal was discontinued in 1734, whereupon most of the workers relocated to Kongsberg. Twenty years later there was new activity for some years, but in the end 17 new workers left Årdal for Kongsberg. (Page 71 of the dissertation.) The dissertation mentions some workers with the Øren surname, but I haven't been following this discussion closely enough to determine how relevant they are. (For the past week or more I have ended up at Plesk every time I tried to access this site.)

Edited by - ToreL on 18/10/2022 23:07:28
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2022 :  22:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes; seems to be some struggles with Plesk,, which seems to be some kind of web hosting site.

I think that the postings on Slekt og Data have me convinced that Niels Olsen Øhrn was born about 1789 in Årdal,, Sogn og Fjordane and moved at some point in time to Kongsberg for work in the mines there. So the assumption is that he met a Karen Lovisa Eliasdatter there and married her. But no evidence has been found as to who this girl is and where she was born.

Edited by - AntonH on 18/10/2022 22:10:15
Go to Top of Page

johanAronsen63

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2023 :  07:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it says that Niels Olsen Øhrn (b. 1789) was a "malermester," it means that he's a master painter, right? If so, then what did that job consist of in the 18th and 19th centuries. It looks strange that in those times one would pick such an occupation, as it doesn't seem to pay much even today. Also, if he was a painter is there any chance that his art is still circulating around somewhere, maybe still in Kongsberg?

Edited by - johanAronsen63 on 13/02/2023 01:00:24
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2023 :  02:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johanAronsen63

When it says that Niels Olsen Øhrn (b. 1789) was a "malermester," it means that he's a master painter, right? If so, then what did that job consist of in the 18th and 19th centuries. It looks strange that in those times one would pick such an occupation, as it doesn't seem to pay much even today. Also, if he was a painter is there any chance that his art is still circulating around somewhere, maybe still in Kongsberg?

Malestermester, or as you say in german Malermeister is in most cases not a canvas painter, but more one who paints walls, rooms, houses, etc. The Malermeister that I have met, typically only paints rooms. So I doubt there is any art involved here unless malermester was understood differently in the 18th and 19th centuries. I also would translate it more as an experienced painter.

The Malermeister is the painter-master. He is very good at painting, so he got the Meisterbrief, a certificate for tradesmen. It is pretty important to have one in Germany, if you want to have success with your job or even own a workshop.

A "Maler" can either be a house painter or an artist painter.

A "Malermeister" is always a house painter, never an artist.

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 13/02/2023 02:35:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article