All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Ship Foretten 1850 - Favoriten??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carl
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  02:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the following account of my ancestors voyage from Norway to America. Was there a ship named Foretten?? Could it have been the Favoriten on the Ships List? Is there an existing passenger list for the 1850 voyage of the Favoriten? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Carl

From: MEMORIAL RECORD OF THE COUNTIES OF FARIBAULT, MARTIN, WATOWAN AND JACKSON, MINNESOTA, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago. 1895 Pages684-686

"The parents, with four of their children emigrated to America in 1850, sailing from Scotland to New York, where they arrived after a voyage of forty-four days on board the Norwegian vessel, Foretten, a three mast ship. During the trip they encountered a severe storm which carried away the middle top-mast. On reaching the United States they continued their journey by way of Hudson river to Albany, where they boarded a canal boat for Buffalo. They passed through the city of Rochester, New York, on the 4th of July, and, knowing nothing of the celebrations of our national independence day, the travelers were badly frightened by the cannonading and firing of musketry, thinking their lives endangered. On reaching Buffalo they boarded a steamer for Milwaukee, and from that place went by team to a farm near Lisbon, Wisconsin."

RØLDAL BYGDEBØK by Knut Dalen, (1960) Knut og Alma Dalen, Røldal Kommune, Norway

1. Mikkel Knutson Lono b. 1793 d. 1850 deed to farm: 1804
(son of: Knut Mikkelson Lono & Kari Larsdtr. Århus, from Suldal.)
Married: in 1814 to Marta Andersdtr. Hegerland.
(daughter of Anders Asmundson Hegerland & Ingebjorg Mikkelsdtr. Lono)
Both to U.S.A. 1850. Mikkel died of cholera 1850.
She [Marta] married again to the widower, Johan Hallvorson Vindløs, Mo in Telemark.
Children:
a. Knut Mikkelsen Lono b. 1822 deed to farm: 1848
Married: 1848 to Kari Eriksdtr. Roalkvam b. 1822
To U.S.A. 1850
b. Anders Mikkelsen b. 1825 to U.S.A. 1849
c. Ola Mikkelsen b. 1828 d. 1850 to U.S.A. 1849
d. Kari Mikkelsen b. 1830 to U.S.A. 1850

Ola and Anders may be the two the Ebenezer 1849 list.

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  22:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

My first thought would be that this was most likely the Favoriten mastered by Capt. J. C. Westergaard departing from Stavanger May 16, and arriving at New York June 26. I do not know of any passenger list, so you should check with NARA for a list. If there is any surviving list from this voyage it should most likely be found on Roll # 89 and be listed between number 500-600 on that roll. Microfilm ID: M237, Record Group: RG036, Title: "Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897."

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

betsy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ancestor was Henrik Henrickson and he was the captain of the Favoriten in 1852. I have a portrait of the ship is you would be interested in seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  13:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Betsy

It would be very interesting to se the picture. Would you considder uploading it to out image gallery to be shared with others?

See: Sailing ships

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

betsy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  02:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Borge,

I attempted to reply but I think I did it wrong. I just uploaded a photo of the Favoriten-1851. Hard to take the picture as it is covered in glass. The original picture was given to me out of my grandmother's estate. She was given it many years ago from relatives in Stavenger. There is a whole story with it if I can find it. Will post if I do. Hope I uploaded it correctly

Betsy Pasquinelli - Chicago, IL
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  10:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks betsy, the picture was uploaded successfully. In order to avoid inappropriate pictures being uploaded all images has to be approved before they are displayed, thats why you did not see it in the gallery right away. It is a lovely picture! What I am wondering about is the name of the captain is not the same on the 1851 painting (Hendriksen), as on the 1850 passenger list (Westergaard), this can indicate that the ship had a new captain or it could be another ship by the same name. We will have to keep an eye open concerning this.

Favoriten 1851 picture

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

betsy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  16:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borge,

I did spell my ancestors name wrong. It is Hendricksen. I will try to find the story that was with the painting and post it Should I post it here??

Betsy
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  17:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if you could post it here

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  18:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The A. Ingemann register of Norwegian shipping fleet 1852 shows the captain of Favoriten to be H. Henriksen. It looks like the Captains on Favoriten to be Westergaard (1849,1850), Diriks (1850,1851) and Henriksen (1852).

The painting is showing the ship flying a flag marked W. Is the text/number underneath 200 to match the register (letter W for Stavanger and number 200)?

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  20:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is a match! - W 200

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

betsy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  15:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have the story as it was given to me. It appears that this ship was referred to by many names. In my written account it has 3, The Favorettin, Favorite and Favorettia. According to the story, when my ancestor Henrik Henrikson captained the ship, it was a merchant vessel from Stavanger to South America, importing sugar, coffee and sage and returning with lumber and canned fish. It states that the ship was exceptionally beautiful and sturdy. On the last trip (when I do not know), Captain Henrikson died of Yellow Fever and was buried in Rio de Janeiro. The Favoritten returned after a years absence with only 3 of the crew members left to tell the story. There was a big celebration upon the return with Mrs. Henrikson rushing to the warf to learn from one of the surviving crew members, a cabin boy named Falk, that her husband had died. Falk later became a captain of a passenger sailing ship between Stavanger and Inbeck, Canada.(do not know the name) Falk later brought Captain Henrikson's daughter Henrika and 2 friends to Canada free of charge. That's the last I know about the Favoritten. I have a whole lineage line of the Henriksons if anyone would be interested.
Go to Top of Page

betsy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think these are all the same ships?? The passenger ship and the merchant vessel??
Go to Top of Page

Herbert M Blair
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I stumbled across this web site when I found the ship's name in a letter my Grandmother Dagney Henriken (Blair) sent me in 1968 from a Mrs. Jennie Erickson aka "Tilly". Long story why I'm just reading it now. Dagney was Henrik Henriksen's granddaughter and she was my grandmother. So Betsy and I are related.

Edited by - Herbert M Blair on 12/02/2009 23:29:54
Go to Top of Page

Herbert M Blair
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  17:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borge,
Do you have any additional information on the ship after 1852?
Go to Top of Page

HerbBlair
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2017 :  00:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at your initial post you describe the ship as "Foretten, a three mast ship," . The Favoriten was a two masted brig very adequately documented on other data sources. You might check this site:https://www.sjohistorie.no/en/skip?page=0&query=Foretten%201850

Herb Blair
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2017 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange name on a ship, Forretten, means Appetizer

Favoritten means Favorite.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article