All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 SS Florence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

halfwitt
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  15:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here's what I know...

Peder Davidsen and his wife Karen emigrated from Norway in about 1867. I know this from obituaries. They had 7 children all born after 1867. I do not know if they were married when the emigrated. There is a Karen and Peder Davidsen that emigrated on the ship Florence in May of 1867 for Liverpool. Their ages are both correct for "my" Davidsen's. I assume, if these are my ancestors, the took another ship from England to the US or Canada. I know they settled in Minnesota and I don't think they ever lived anywhere else. The Emigrants register shows their destination as Lansing. Is there another Lansing besides Michigan? Also, there are two children that accompanied them. I cannot find any information on these children in the US. I am thinking perhaps they died en route. I am trying to ascertain if these are indeed my Davidsens. I find no other Peder or Peter Davidsen the right age in Norway let alone one married to a person with the right name and age. Any ideas on typical migration routes would be great. Any information on how I can track them from Liverpool would be much appreciated. Thank you all!

Randall P. Witt

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2001 :  10:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the registers an find the Name of the agent was A. Sharpe by his representative in Trondheim Mr. Chr. Henriksen. They were authorized to represent the Allan Line, (Steamship via England to ports in America and inland to the final destination) which leads me to suggest that you look for an Allan Line arrival at Quebec, as that was at the time the most common route.

However, the Allan Line had the following routes in 1867:
Glasgow - Boston - New York
Glasgow - Philadelphia
Glasgow - Portland - New York
Glasgow - St Johns - Quebec - Montreal
Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article