All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Nils Andersen Aasberget
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  13:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find out which ship my great-grandfather sailed on to the USA. He was born 11 Mar 1836 and is registered as moving to the USA on 18 Apr 1854. His family lived at Stokkset farm in Furnes, Hedmark, until they were forced to sell it, after which they lived at Aasberget. Nils can be found at this link.
Nils Andersen Aasberget
According to family legend, he entered the US through the Gulf of Mexico (New Orleans?). I have not been able to find him on any ships' lists I have found. Perhaps someone can help?
Nils eventually became Nels A. Nelson and settled at Lansing, Alamakee County, Iowa.
Thanks for any help!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  21:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might try the Galveston records too... I've heard that there might be some online through a Texas based site - but I don't have a URL.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  23:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cyndi's List have a link to the Galveston records

Jan
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  14:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a good many years since I posted this query. I check the records for arrivals in New Orleans and Glaveston at intervals, but I have not found my great-grandfather Nils Andersen Aasberget. I am wondering if there is anything available now that I should check. I am also a bit surprised that there seems to be so little research on Norwegian immigrants who came in through the Gulf of Mexico. It seems that a good many traveled this route. After looking at new sources available here in Hedmark, I have a theory that the family may have started using the surname Nilsen as early as the 1840s. During this period, they were moving around a lot, so that they did not have a farm name as a stable address. The ministers always recorded the relevant farm name in the church records, but the family may have adopted the patronymic of Nils's father, Anders Nilsen (Stokkset) after living at several farms. But of course, looking for the right "Nils Nilsen" with various spelling variations is a challenge!
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  14:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone else is looking for immigrants through the Gulf of Mexico, here is the link to the Galveston database http://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/maritime-heritage/galveston-immigration-database
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  18:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This message is on the Galveston site has this information. In spite of your family tradition maybe you need to look elsewhere?

"In all, the names of more than 130,000 passengers from the period 1846-1948 have been entered. The database lists only those who first disembarked in Texas. Many immigrants came through New York or one of the other East Coast ports and trans-shipped to Texas. Family legend may hand down a Texas port of entry, while immigration records reflect an Eastern port.
Are the records complete? An unknown percentage of the records are missing; there are very few entries between 1871 and 1894."

You may want to compose a list of all the people leaving from Nils' parish at the same time as he, to see where they ended up and maybe there is a journey story saved amongst those people's family which may narrow where you need to look.
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2017 :  21:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this information. It is true that the family legend may not be correct. But I have also been looking at passenger lists for the appropriate months in 1854 for many years, without finding Nils. The first person in the family to emigrate was Nils's first cousin and subsequently his brother-in-law, Jens Hansen Store Faraasen from Veldre in Ringsaker. He is recorded in the church record for Ringsaker Church on 1 November 1852, and he is listed as a crew member of a ship. https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8843/42920/9 Jens returned to Norway and married Nils's sister, Maria Andersdotter, on 18 March 1853, and they left for the US and were recorded in the church record 9 April 1853, numbers 47 and 48 https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8843/42920/11 In this record there are 61 others who are listed as emigrants heading to America with dates 6-19 April. These people may have departed on the same ship, but I have not found any passenger lists. Jens and Maria went to Rock Prairie, Wisconsin, then on to Iowa, where they settled in Center Township, Allamakee County.
I do not know the name of the ship where Jens was a crew member, but perhaps it was a ship that sailed to New Orleans? November is an unusual time to emigrate from Norway, since most people left in the spring, as did Jens and Maria in 1853 and Nils in 1854. Perhaps Jens made the travel arrangements for Nils? I have found no other likely companions from Furnes, where Nils was living when he emigrated. But there are very many listed in Veldre/Ringsaker on 18 April 1854, so these may have been his traveling companions. But again, there are no passenger lists available to check.
Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  13:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick follow-up to my old post on immigration from Norway via New Orleans, and then up the Mississippi to Iowa. I finally found a reference to a person who apparently used this route in George T. Flom, A History of Norwegian to the United States (1909, p.368). "Several, however, came from Norway by way of New Orleans and the Mississippi, as did Gilbert C. Lyse in 1851." http://www.gutenberg.org/files/46681/46681-h/46681-h.htm Even though this route is said to be common, I have almost never seen references to its being used. Is anyone researching immigrant voyages that followed this route? Does anyone know how common it was?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  16:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your person of interest is probably not an easy find but here is some information as a start..

I wonder if you have seen this emigration record

Link

This information would seem to indicate that he went to Canada.

Edited by - AntonH on 04/03/2019 16:19:11
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  17:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I have seen this record, but I have not looked at it for some time. The family myth must be just that - a myth. Going through Canada was the usual route at this time, even though I know he was ultimately headed for Wisconsin or Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  23:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the record for Nils Andersen Aasberget leaving the parish of Vang.

All of the people leaving Vang at the same general time frame as Nils are listed as traveling to Quebec.

Example Jens Mikkelsen Strammerud

Link

I also noticed a very complete Family Tree on Ancestry.com for your family. In it is mentioned that the sister of Niels and her husband and others travelled to Wisconsin in 1853. The conclusion of the tree owner is that they traveled through Canada.

Here is the emigration record for the husband Jens Hansen Farrasen.

Link

And the following conclusions from the Tree for Maria Andersdatter Nelson (Stokset).

"Anna Marie Andersdatter Nilson Hanson arrived in Quebec with family and took transport to Montreal, going south along Lake Champlain to the Erie Canal. Going west they arrived in Janesville, Wisconsin about August 1853 where her first child was born."

It would seem logical that her brother would follow the same path a year later.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/03/2019 02:30:45
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  12:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for these links as well! Where did you find the information from the Tree for Maria Andersdatter Nelson? Can you please give me this information as well? I agree this would be the logical route to follow.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  16:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quote comes from a Family Tree on Ancestry.com owned by a Mike Walsh. Here is a link if you are a Ancestry subscriber you will be able to see it.

Link
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  20:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I do have access to Ancestry. Mike does a lot on the family, and it is largely reliable information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article