All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 I need records to find Lars Anton Anderson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2004 :  05:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you help me find records concerning my greatgrandfather: Lars Anton Anderson? On his tombstone it states he was born in 1831 in Norway, and died in Nebraska 1908, but the court house does not have a death certificate. He married Osty Hansen in Norway and emmigrated to the US in 1860 and she born 1836,died in Nebraska in 1907. I have their ship trunk that says "Manhattan Kansas Nord. Amerika" on it. So they made to Kansas, later Clay Center, Kansas and then Hyannis, Nebraska. I know they had a son Lewis Anderson (my grandfathter)b. 9/27/1873 in Clay Center, KS.

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2004 :  06:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi The 1900 census has Lars born 1823 and Osty born 1829 immigrated in 1872. Osty had 8 childrien 6 living. They have been married 50 years. There is also a son, Hans J, born 1856 in Norway living with them.
On the Ancestry message board Click Here there is a reference to a sister Matilda who is listed as born in Oslo Jan 1863
This is probably the family in the 1880 census Click Here Osty a nickname for Marit?? and was Lewis' middlename Anton?
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2004 :  06:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found them in the emigrants from Kristiana Click Here Osty is Aaste and they are from Tjødling.
One of the other members here should be able to find them in the census, time for me to get off the computer now
Carla
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2004 :  23:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Lars Anderson and Aaste and his father in the 1865 census of Tjølling (which, as Larvik, lies in Vestfold):

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60725&variabel=0&postnr=1404&fulle=true&spraak=e

Unfortunately there's 3 Anders Nielsen's aged 9, 10, 11 in the 1801 cencus. It could be any of them, as none of them are living at Østby. On the other hand there's no Østby in the 1801 cencus, so maybe it's none of them - if Østby was in another parrish at the time???

I'm afraid you'll need help from someone with better local knowledge to get further back...

Good luck

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2004 :  02:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They arrived in New York Harbor on July 1, 1872 from Bergen.
Lars Anderson, seaman -49, Aaste-42, Hans-16, Andreas-7, Martin-4, Othilia-4.
From Norway, destination America.

The ship was Steamer St. Olaf, there is info on this site about this ship. They would have been processed for immigration into this country at Castle Garden (Clinton) at the tip of Battery Park. From there, directly to trains to take them to their final destination in America. Their passage to their final destination in America was have all been arranged in Norway by the shipping line.
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2004 :  19:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne,

Where did you find your info? from a passenger list?
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2008 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a ton. It's been a while since I've been here. Lars' father (Anders Nilsen) 1790-1872, would be the 11 year old. In 1801, I think he lived on a farm called "Tenvik"

Originally posted by askeroi[/i]

Here's Lars Anderson and Aaste and his father in the 1865 census of Tjølling (which, as Larvik, lies in Vestfold):

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60725&variabel=0&postnr=1404&fulle=true&spraak=e

Unfortunately there's 3 Anders Nielsen's aged 9, 10, 11 in the 1801 cencus. It could be any of them, as none of them are living at Østby. On the other hand there's no Østby in the 1801 cencus, so maybe it's none of them - if Østby was in another parrish at the time???

I'm afraid you'll need help from someone with better local knowledge to get further back...

Good luck
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2008 :  21:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your spellings are somehow skewed again. The closest spelling in that area in 1801 was Tinvig -- and you have to think 'sounds-like'.
The 1801 Norwegian census is available for your searching on the Digitalarkivet website.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2008 :  22:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will find the baptismal record for Anders as the third from the top here
he was baptized Nov 14 1790 his parents were living at Tinvig.
Anders father Niels Andersen was baptized Sept 29 1754, see middle of the page here
His father was Anders Olsen Hem (the farm) and his mother was Anne Larsdatter.
Anders mother Helvig Maria was baptized June 1 1760, see second from the bottom left hand page here
her father was Hans Eriksen, Kierringvigen and her mother was Maren Halvorsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/02/2008 23:07:48
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I don't how you can read these things! Can you find the Tinvik farm near Tjodling?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  18:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean on a map or as a census record 1801?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
map
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  20:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try this one - it is simple.
Map

Einar
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Anne Sadler

They arrived in New York Harbor on July 1, 1872 from Bergen.
Lars Anderson, seaman -49, Aaste-42, Hans-16, Andreas-7, Martin-4, Othilia-4.
From Norway, destination America.

The ship was Steamer St. Olaf, there is info on this site about this ship. They would have been processed for immigration into this country at Castle Garden (Clinton) at the tip of Battery Park. From there, directly to trains to take them to their final destination in America. Their passage to their final destination in America was have all been arranged in Norway by the shipping line.

Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  17:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne,

I just realized that Amalie Larsdatter (b. 1853) was not on this list. I do know she made it to the US, but will help me find her emmigration path? I'm always amazed how you find these things, so thanks a ton! I trying to find some living relatives in Norway as well, any hints?
Go to Top of Page

anderspine

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  22:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will anyone help with the previous post?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article