All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Nord Stjernen 1872
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carla Tennefoss Respess
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2001 :  21:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have searched and cannot locate a picture of this vessel. Does anyone have any ideas on how a picture can be obtained?

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2001 :  18:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sources have you tried?

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Nord Stjernen
Does anyone else have family records that mention that, during a storm, the mast broke on the Nord Stjernen's 1872 voyage to Quebec and that it was "lost at sea for 2 weeks"? The reason I'm asking is that, if true, it would have been a quick trip (4/25 to 5/28 with 2 weeks lost,) but it would make better sense using my family records saying they left Norway 4/8. However, I assume the ship's data on departure is accurate.

Passengers 172 through 179 were from Hemsedal (in Hallingdal). #176 is Gunvor, not Gunder, and is a female. The mother, #175, is Anna Mekkelsdatter. # 177 was known as Ole O. and # 173 was Ole S. With minor discrepancy in the father's age the rest of the info is accurate.

Two other sons of John and Anna left Norway earlier; Mikkel on April 6, 1871 and the oldest son, Svein/Sveinn/Swen left in 1859 or 1861. [He traveled with Torstein & Ingebørg (Olsdatter Alstveit) Halvorson & 3 of their children. Records in Hemsedal say Swen left in 1859, but "Hemsedals Slekthistorie 1693-1975" says the Halvorson family left in 1861). I have not checked ship records for Mikkel or Swen.

If anyone is interested, we have rather extensive records for this family both before and after 1872.
Go to Top of Page

Paula0509
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2005 :  22:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also looking for a photo of this ship. I'm also curious to know how much it cost, per passenger? Does anyone have that information? or know where I would be able to get it?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2005 :  02:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can write to:

Norsk Sjøfartmuseum
Bygdøynesveien 37
0286 Oslo
NORWAY

I recently ordered two pictures from them and the cost is quite reasonable.

If you do obtain a picture, it would be nice if you would share it with this site.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  22:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those possibly interested. I found this:

The bark DORETTE was built by Hermann Friedrich Ulrichs, in Vegesack/Fähr, for the firm of Carl Pokrantz & Co., Bremen, and launched on 3 November 1855.

In 1870 the DORETTE was sold to a Norwegian. She received the name NORDSTJERNEN and operated for H. Chr. Gron out of London. In 1880 the bark was finally acquired from L.G.S. Larsen out of Hauan (Sandefjord).

Not until 1904 was the NORDSTJERNEN (formerly DORETTE), after 48 years running time, condemned in Lisbon and sold for scrap

source: This is from Peter-Michael Pawlik, _Von der Weser in die Welt; Die Geschichte der Segelschiffe von Weser und Lesum und ihrer Bauwerften 1770 bis 1893_, Schriften des Deutschen Schiffahrtsmuseums, Bd. 33 (Hamburg: Kabel, c1993), pp. 279-280.

as found on this website: http://www.ncweb.com/~jem630/effland.html

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  04:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you want me to check for "passage stories" for your family from Hemsedal in the Hallinglag of America's publication Hallingen
let me know what surname the family members adopted over here.

I see that Mikkel Johnson Rundtop of Blooming Prairie, Minn gave $5 to "Folkegaven" earmarked for Hemsedal, is this the sone you wrote of?

Anyway, let me know. Sorry to intrude on the original requestors mission.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article