All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Weggeland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skipper
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2004 :  18:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for Weggeland family. Names I have for the family are Seaman, (father) b. unk., Norway, d. abt. 1889, New York. Wife's name Martha, no other information on her. Son Elias S., b. abt. 1860, Norway, d. March 1899, New York., wife Marie Henriksen, b. 30/5/1858 Holt, Aust-Agder, Norway, d. 29/6/1933 Phildelphia, PA. Elias and Marie emigrated to the US in 1881 with their daughter Martha, b. abt. 1881, Norway. They lived in the Cleveland area from 1882 until about 1892. Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2004 :  20:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if his name was Simon not Seaman? In Vest Agder in the 1865 census see this family living on a farm called Veggeland.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f61036&variabel=0&postnr=1053&fulle=true&spraak=n
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2004 :  00:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is the right family in the 1865 census. The family is mentioned in Fjotland bygdebok (farm history book) page 58-60 and 77-78. The mother Gurine Marthea Eriksdatter is mentioned in Sør-Audnedal bygdebok page 503.
On Veggeland the family goes 7 generations back to Sigmund Oddson Veggeland (1623-1692)

Simon Asbjørnsen Veggeland (1819-1885) was son of Asbjørn Samuelsen Veggeland (1792-1884), 8 yrs. in 1801: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f11034&variabel=0&postnr=2238&fulle=true&spraak=e

Gurine Marthea Eriksdatter, b. 1826, was daughter of Erik Olsen Steinsland (1793-1839) from Sør-Audnedal parish http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f11029&variabel=0&postnr=1349&fulle=true&spraak=e

Elias Simonsen Veggeland as emigrant in 1881. He has married in Dyvåg (Holt)
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=KRISTUT&variabel=0&postnr=2616&fulle=true&spraak=e

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2004 :  02:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They arrived at the Port of New York on August 31, 1881 aboard the Thingvalla which left from Copenhagen and Norway.

Elias Simonsen, 21, Marie, 20, Infant, 3 months.

NARA microfilm #440, list #1066.

According to the information on this site, this would have been the Thingvalla of the Thingvalla Line. There is much information and pictures of the ship on Norway Heritage.
Go to Top of Page

Skipper
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2004 :  16:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't thank you enough for all the help. I have been working on this brick wall for about three years. This is so exciting. Thank you, Thank you. I
I hope that I can be as helpful to someone else. Sandy
Go to Top of Page

LolaBella
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2006 :  20:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's not too late to post on this thread and get some help. I am also looking for Weggeland family names, the father (Samuel Aanensen Veggeland) of Asbjiorn Samuelsen is my ancestor as well. I was wondering how to search in earlier farm books, or to find out exactly who the parents are of these individuals so I can trace them farther back.
Hasto: How did you find those seven generations back to Sigmund Oddson Veggeland (1623-1692) and where can I find that information?
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2006 :  13:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look for bygdebøker (rural chronicles - usually contain regional history information, farm histories and/or genealogy of the families that lived on each farm) for the particular areas in Norway where your family lived. Early parish church records are also very frequently used to verify bygdebøker information and to add more detail to our family history research. For the areas which have had bygdebøker written about their history or which are being written now - we are usually very lucky.
Online library catalog information indicates the existence of more than one? book for the Fjotland area - "Fjotland", 2 volumes by Johan Jerstad; "Fjotland: lesebok", by Johan Jerstad. I found a note that there is also a book entitled "Sør-Audnedal: Bygdebok", 2 volumes by Nils P. Vigeland.
You can study an excellent group of articles about ways to obtain and how to use Norwegian bygdebøker in this collection -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

The FIRST online library catalog that I check for information about Norwegian bygdebøker for any given area - is to do a 'Place search' in the LDS Family History Library catalog online at http://www.familysearch.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article