All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Searching for Wicklem from Oerland, Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  18:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for some relatives on my father's side. My great grandfather had a brother, Theodore Iversen Wicklem, born 22.06.1855. He went to America in August 1881. In the ship manifest it is stated that he had "Eau Claire, Wisconsin" as his destination.

Theodore Wicklem can be found in Eau Claire (in Eau Claire County) in Wisconsin in 1885 (marriage), in 1889, 1890, 1891, 1892, 1893, and in the 1900 and 1910 Census. From these last two findings, I have been able to find out som more about his family, including the names of some(?) of his children.

According to the 1910 cencus, there where 5 children living at that point. 4 of them listed in 1910, the one not mentioned in 1910 is probably "Elline" listed in 1900.

I am now looking for decendants of this man Theodore and his wife, "Gunda"(?) (hard to read the census) and their children Eline (?) born1890, George b.1894, Stella b.1896, Helen and Edna (b.1906) Wicklem.

I have found out in "Minnesota Death Index" that George died in 1973 in St.Paul. Since he can be found in St. Paul in the 1930 census, I guess he spent most of his life there.

As you can see, the second generation where mostly girls, so I have had some difficulties finding their names after marriage. I have found the name "Lymburner Hayward", probably 4th generation, and I have found the name "Quine", which can be assosiated with the daughter Stella, and it can be located to Portland Oregon. I have also found a man "Ralph Quine" who died in Oregon in 1935, with "Spouses name: Stella". My family's note on adresses lists one adress in Oregon with the name "Stella Quine". The note is from the 1930s!

Is there anyone out there with any information about this family?

Aasmund Solem
Aasveien 24
7715 Steinkjer
Norway
+47 90 60 35 51 (cell phone)

Aasmund S.

Edited by - muinn on 07/12/2004 16:41:12

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  22:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
your people can be found in the list of Emigrants from Trondheim 1867-1930:

23 JUN 1880 Ole J. Viklem Dagarbeider 24 Ørlandet Blair Wisc Inman Dampskib Tasso
25 AUG 1881 Theodor I. Viklem Arbeidsm 26 Ørlandet Eau Claire Wisc Allan Dampskib Tasso
24 SEP 1890 Anton Ludvig Augustinus Viklem ug Arb 24 Ørlandet New York Guion Domino
04 MAR 1900 Anton Edvard Johans. Viklem ug Arb 1885 Ørlandet Milan, Minn Stjerne Salmo
21 MAY 1927 Bernt Gunerius Viklem ug Fisker 1872 U.S.A U.S.A Star via Bergen

Jan
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  16:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I have now changed my question according to the new information. I now know the ship's name, and the time he went.

Aasmund

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  21:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi In the Minnesota death index there is a Paul F. Lymburner born 10/10/1913, out of state with mother's maiden name of Wicklem Click Here
In the social security index it says his SS number was issued in Wisconsin so may be a connection.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  22:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1910 census Wisconsin EAU CLAIRE county there is a S M Lymbuner married to Eleanor 20 yr old married 2 years. born Wisconsin parents Norwegian.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  02:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I found them in the 1930 census in Sawyer county Wiscounsin with sons Paul, born 1914 Dean and Brice both born 1920. There is a town and township named Hayward in Sawyer county so that is probably where the reference to Lymburner Hayward comes from
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a search at Searchbug Click Here for Lymburner in Wisconsin and a Brice comes up listed in Hayward Wisconsin. It gives his address if you wanted to try and contact him.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much! I hav been sitting in my office writing a letter to Mr. Lymburner, and I have translated a register of the family to english. I'll try to contact him, by sending him a letter and some translated papers on the family history for X-mass!

Aasmund

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  02:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you have luck in contacting him
There is an obituary listing for Gunda Wicklem Click Here although I'm not sure how you would get a copy. If you click on Obituary Index on the page it will take you to a page with some contact information.
Also if you click on the Genealogy Home link there is a link to a Brides and Grooms index. Theodore and Gunda and Eleanor are listed under Wiklem.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  17:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to say that I found out that the one I was about to contact died in 2002. The family history is as follows:

Theodor Iversen was born in Oerlandet, Norway June 22 1855. He went to America August 25 1881 from Trondheim. He settled in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and was married there to Gunda, maybe with the maiden name Halvorsen. She was also born in Norway, probably in 1865. They were married in Eau Claire December 5 1885. They had 8 children, 5 of them living in 1910. I don’t know when Theodore died, but I know that Gunda died Feb 25 1948 in Eau Claire.

The Lymburner branch:
Their oldest daughter Eleanore, born 1890, was married to Samuel Lymburner, born about 1885. They first lived in Eau Claire, and then moved to Hayward, Sawyer county, Wisconsin. They had 3 sons that we know of:

Paul F. Lymburner b. Jan 1914, d. April 13 1994 in Hennepin, Minnesota
Bryce O. Lymburner b.Aug 24 1919, d. Jan 18 2002 in Hayward, Sawyer, Wisconsin
Dean R Lymburner b. Aug 24 1919, d. Dec 26 1992 in Cuyahoga, Ohio

George
The oldest son George, born March 24 1894, was registered in St. Paul in the 1930 census, and died Jan 28 1973 in St. Paul. I guess he lived there mot of his life then.

The daughter Stella, born June 21 1896, was married ”Quine”, and lived in Oregon. The death of Raph Quine in 1935 in Douglas county might be a clue. He is registered with the wife’s name ”Stella”.

Edna and Helen I don’t know much about.

Aasmund

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2004 :  13:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The son George Wicklem was registered in St Paul in the 1930 census, and he died there in 1973. I found a phone number for Robert G Wicklem in St Paul. I called him last night, and BINGO!! He was the son of George, and the grandson of Theodore!! He was the only child of George.

So, I made contact with my American relatives then.

Thanks to all of you helping me!

Aasmund

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

kqdgap
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  06:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am Theodore Wicklem's great grandson. My grandmother was Stella Wicklem, who married Ralph Quine. They had two daughters, one of whom was my mother, Patricia. I would like to correspond with Aasmund so we can exchange family details. Just today I sent a letter by mail, but email would be so much quicker. Aasmund, can we exchange email addreses so we can exchange family information? I have always wanted to make contact with my Norwegian relatives.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  04:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin At the top of the posting by Aasmund there are several icons (these appear at the top of each person's posting) if you click on the envelope you should be able to send him an email.
Good Luck
Carla
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2005 :  10:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I recently recieved a letter from Kevin. I will contact him. I will be able to give him lots of information on his Norwegian heritage, and I guess he will be able to update me on my American relatives. As well as the Wicklem I made contact with before (mentioned above) I will also be able to provide Kevin with photographs of his great great grandmother, wich he probably not have.

Åsmund

Aasmund S.

Edited by - muinn on 19/08/2005 11:14:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article