All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Swedish Emigration through Trondheim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

calicocat
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2005 :  00:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Grandfather born Nils Jonsson, Nov. 27, 1877 in Jamtland, Sweden emigrated to Canada. A few years ago I was registered on this forum and someone told me that he had left through Trondheim in November 1903 registered as Nils Johnsson and was an unmarried sawmill worker from Sweden at that time. I am doing my Swedish family tree and since I can't seem to access the searchable database that Norway has for emigrants, I would like to be able to get a copy of his exit permit, or at least a copy of the page that shows on which date he left Trondheim and on which ship he left (I think it was the Tasso II). I would also like to verify how Swedish emigrants at this time travelled to Trondheim, how far away it was for him to get there from Sweden, and how long his journey would have taken him to get to Halifax, Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2005 :  04:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digitalarkivet website has databases for quite a number of Norwegian ports.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar

This looks like the man you describe -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60542&gardpostnr=321&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

calicocat
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2005 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your response, however I am unable to read the links that you gave me since I don't read or speak Norwegian. I live in Canada. Is there any way that you can translate this information for me? Sorry to be such a bother.

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2005 :  20:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These records are not narratives, they only have a few basic words to be able understand them. If you want to research Norwegian records, you are going to have to learn a few words, this is a good dictionary:

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Go to Top of Page

calicocat
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2005 :  00:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the information. I will study the information and it should help me in my research.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2006 :  04:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by calicocat

My Grandfather born Nils Jonsson, Nov. 27, 1877 in Jamtland, Sweden emigrated to Canada. A few years ago I was registered on this forum and someone told me that he had left through Trondheim in November 1903 registered as Nils Johnsson and was an unmarried sawmill worker from Sweden at that time. I am doing my Swedish family tree and since I can't seem to access the searchable database that Norway has for emigrants, I would like to be able to get a copy of his exit permit, or at least a copy of the page that shows on which date he left Trondheim and on which ship he left (I think it was the Tasso II). I would also like to verify how Swedish emigrants at this time travelled to Trondheim, how far away it was for him to get there from Sweden, and how long his journey would have taken him to get to Halifax, Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2006 :  04:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Audrey
I am looking for the dahl family out of red dear alberta..circa 1930-40...I know it is a long shot but one has to start somewhere..
Thank you

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article