All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 ancestors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  21:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information on my father-in-laws family. He emigrated from Norway in either 1924 or 1926. His name was Conrad Wasdal although he changed his name to Hansen after he was in Canada. He was from Stavanger Norway. I am also looking for infromation on my mother-in-laws family who emigrated earlier to the U SA and then to Canada. Their last name was AAserud. I do not know where in Norway they emigrated from but do believe they were married on the boat over to the United States.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year was Conrad born?
What given names in the family of Aaseruds that emigrated from Norway? when did they emigrate? do you have any years for their births?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this one from The National Archives of Canada Immigration Records (1925-1935):

Surname: Vasdal
Given name: Sourad Martin
Sex: M
Nationality: Nor
Date of arrival: 1926/09/11 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec
Ship: MONTROSE , Canadian Pacific
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Volume: 1926 volume 17
Page: 159
Microfilm reel: T-14726

The ship S/S Montrose's route was Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal.

What's your "proof" of that Conrad was from Stavanger? Normally, a name like Vasdal would come from a farm name, and there is no farm called Vasdal in the whole Rogaland county.

Here is a possibility from Nesna in Nordland county, census-1900.
His name is listed as Konrat Edvartsen, born 16-jul-1900 on the Vasdal farm in Nesna, Nordland. Far from Stavanger though! Konrat's father is Edvart Hanssen, so that could be where the Hansen name comes from...

Konrad Martin Edvardsen Vasdal (same person as in census-1900 above) from Nesna emigrated to Canada on 26-Aug-1926...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 04/10/2005 00:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  23:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conrad's birthdate was June 16, 1900. I'm not sure why we thought he was from Stavanger. The Aaserud 's first names were Ole and Lena and I do not know her maiden name. I would really like to find any family members who are still in Norway .(of either Conrad or the Aaseruds).
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  00:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no doubt that it's this Konrad Martin Edvardsen Vasdal you are looking for!
He is from Nesna in Nordland, census-1900 lists his birthday as July 16, 1900.
Emigrated from Trondheim on 26-Aug-1926, arrived in Quebec on 11-Sep-1926.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  12:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. Now we just need to learn more about the Aaseruds who came to Canada in1910 but were in the USA before that.
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  14:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked in the history book for the Craigmyle Delia area and found out that Ole Aaserud was born in 1878 and Lena in 1883 near Stavanger, Norway . They were married in 1905 and emigrated to Churches Ferry, North Dakota in 1907. In 1908 Ole travelled to the Craigmyle area in Canada and filed on a homestead. In 1909 the family moved to the Craigmyle area. At that time they had two sons Olaf and Berger. Hopefully this will lead to more information on possible family members in the United States.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  15:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Churches Ferry, North Dakota would appear to be on the country border between Benson and Ramsey counties of North Dakota.
1920 US census index shows one household with name Aaserud in that area - a Christian O. Asserud, 30 yrs old born Norway, immigrated 1905. But I don't believe that he came from any area near Stavanger in Norway. He is from Østre Toten, Oppland, Norway.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=0528&kenr=006&bnr=0005&lnr=00
He left Norway from Oslo/Kristiania on or about 9 June 1905 and stated his intended destination as North Dakota -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=256589&sokefelt=skjul
This is no way proves that Christian is at all related to your Ole Aaserud - you'll have to find Canadian or US records to prove or disprove that assumption.

Perhaps you should search for information in that general area of North Dakota.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ndbenso2/
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ndbenson/
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ndramsey/ramsey.htm
http://www.cyndislist.com/nd.htm

About 134 persons listed with Aaserud surname in WorldConnect project online -
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2005 :  17:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out that Ole and Lena are listed inthe Ellis Island database as Aasero and their destination is listed as brother-in-law Edward Storhaug. Perhaps this will lead to some further information. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  22:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in finding out some information on Churches Ferry North Dakota and in particular about the Norweigan settlement there. This would seem to be the spot where Ole and Lena Aaserud emigrated to so perhaps we would still have some relatives there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article