All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for ship Great Grandmother came over on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

TLarson

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  00:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for the ship that my great granmother came over on. Her name was Martha Ensrud when she came and I believe she came in about 1903 or shortly after.
I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me!
Thanks!

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  01:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No record of her on the ellisisland.org database. You should find her first in the online emigration records on Digitalarkivet:

Emigration Records

If you know the area in Norway she came from, you can narrow down your search. Her name could have been different, Marthe/Marti and she could have been using her patronomymic name.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  03:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard to make an identification without knowing Martha Enrud's age and martial status when she emigrated from Norway.

In the database of emigrants leaving from the port of Oslo/Kristiania there is a Martha P. Ensrud leaving on or about 9 Nov 1904 -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=148625&sokefelt=skjul

Does she match your Martha?

The family living on one of the Ensrud farms in Gran district of Oppland, Norway in the 1900 census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00534&gardpostnr=63&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  14:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marthe Pedersen Enserud (21) from "Graw", arriving Ellis Island on Nov 26, 1904, sailing from Liverpool Nov 16, 1904, with the ship SS Baltic (2) from White Star Line. Maiden voyage Liverpool - New York on June 29,1904.

"Graw" is misspelling for Gran, Oppland.

She is going to cousin Hans Fredriksen in Watson, Minnesota.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/03/2006 14:41:49
Go to Top of Page

TLarson

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  16:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ensrud farm could very well be my great-grandmothers farm because she had a brother named Anders and a sister named Marie, but I really have no idea as to what her parents names were, I do however have a picture of her sister Marie standing by a gravestone with the name Ingeborg Ensrud on it, this could possibly be her mother. I know she was born in 1884 in Gran. When she came she was not married and I'm not sure if she went to South Dakota or Minnesota first. So the Martha leaving in 1904 could very possibly be the correct Martha because I'm actually not sure as to whether she came in 1903 or 1904.
Thanks for this help, if the other info I've added brings up any ideas to find anything else I would greatly appreciate the help!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  17:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I don't think there's any doubt that this is the correct Marthe/Martha.

Here is her christening record. She is born 05-Sep-1883, christened 18-Nov-1883.

Parents are Peder Olsen (b.1837) & Karen Olsdatter (b.1847)
Godmother Marte Fredriksdatter could be her cousin, a possible sister to cousin Hans Fredriksen in Watson, Minnesota.

This Ingeborg Hansdatter Ensrud looks to be the Ingeborg you're talking about, but I can't see any immediate relation to Marthe, except for the fact that they are neighbours and living on the same Ensrud farm...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/03/2006 17:55:47
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  18:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is alot of info on this site about the White Star Line and also an article about the maiden voyage of the Baltic:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_shiplist.asp?co=white
Go to Top of Page

TLarson

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  23:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite sure that this is probably my great-grandmother, but the only doubt i have is because the gravemarker by her grave says that she was born in 1884 and the records I have say that she was born on Sept. 5, 1884. Otherwise it looks very promising that it is my great-grandmother. I'll have to ask my grandmother about this also, even though she doesn't know that much about her mothers life in Norway. I also know that my great-grandmothers mother's maiden name was Melaas and I do see that name on the christening record.
Thanks for all your help so far, this is just great!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  09:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Godfather (and farmer) Hans Olsen from Melaas farm i Lunner parish (Jevnaker, Oppland) is probably Marthe's uncle (Karin Olsdatter's brother)

Karen Olsdatter, christening: 07 FEB 1847, Jevnaker, Oppland, Norway
Parents: Ole Hansen & Marte Olsdatter Click here

Hans Olsen, christening: 19 FEB 1837, Jevnaker, Oppland, Norway
Parents: Ole Hansen & Marthe Olsdatter Click here

So Marthe looks to be named after her grandmother.
Here they are in census 1865 on the Melaas farm in Jevnaker. Ole Hansen is a widower.
Karen have a sister named Ingeborg, born ca 1842. Could she be the one on the gravestone? She would be Marie and Marthe's aunt...

The distance between Mel廛 farm in Lunner and Ensrud farm in Gran is only 6 km (4 miles).
Lunner was earlier a part of Jevnaker, but is since 1906 an own muncipality and parish.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/03/2006 09:51:09
Go to Top of Page

TLarson

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  16:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently found out that there were seven children in my great-granmother's family when i thought there were only three. apparently there were three boys who died young and there was another sister who apparently came to America before my great-grandmother (Martha Ensrud), I believe she died in America, but where she went I don't know. I was wondering if it would be possible to find this other sister in any of the old Norway censuses. I don't know what her name was but I thought maybe she could be found on the family list of the farm where my great-grandmother lived before she came to America. I don't know if finding this information is possilble, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Tim Larson

Edited by - TLarson on 14/03/2006 16:37:18
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  18:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the databases "christened in Gran 1875-1899"

Ole, born 1875, parents Peder Olsen Ensrud & girl Karen Olsdtr Ensrud. Her (Karen) first illegitimate child, his second illegitimate child. Peder also have a child with one Marthe Johannesdatter Brokerud from Jevnaker.

Anders, christened 23-jul-1876. Legitimate child, so Peder & Karen must have married 1875-1876.

Ole, born 13-jan-1881, christened 27-feb-1881

Marte, born 05-sep-1883, christened 18-nov-1883

Anne Marie, born 24-jun-1885, christened 08-nov-1885

Ingeborg, born 28-feb-1889, christened 14-apr-1889

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

TLarson

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  06:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that information, but I'm a little bit confused. Are Ole, Anders, Ole, Marte, Anne Marie, and Ingeborg the only children that Peder and Karen had besides the child Peder had with this Marthe Johannesdatter Broderud? Does the Karen Olsdtr Ensrud refer to Peder's wife Karen? And can any information be found about this Marthe Johannesdatter Brokerud? One more question, Is there any way to find the marriage record information for Peder and Karen? Thank you so much for your help!
- Tim Larson
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  09:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm not saying that this 6 children are the only children Peder & Karen had, but they are the only ones christened in Gran parish between 1875-1907, as far as I could see, at least...

The databases are available for online search for free at Digitalarkivet

And since the parents lived at Ensrud farm in 1875 when their first child Ole was born, and still lived there in 1900, it doesn't make sence to christen their child at any other church.

Anders, Marthe & (Anne) Marie lives with their father in census-1900. Ole b.1875 probably died young, since they got a new Ole in 1881. This Ole could also have died young, at least I've not found him in census-1900 for Gran parish. People didn't move much those days, but he could of course have emigrated to the US... Ingeborg born 1889 is not in the census either, but she is a bit too young to have emigrated before 1900 alone...

Yes, Karen Olsdtr Ensrud refers to Peder's wife. She probably lived on the same farm at that time, maybe as a servant or something??? As said earlier, I believe Karen Olsdatter is the same as the girl christened in the neighbouring parish Jevnaker on 07 FEB 1847. Ole b. 1875 is their first child together. As stated in the christening record, it's her first illegitimate child. Marriage records for Gran parish are not available online, but you can view them at a local LDS center.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/03/2006 10:08:30
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  09:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is most likely the girl Peder had his first child with;

Marte Johanesdatter from the farm "Brokerud af Morka" in Jevnaker, Oppland, born ca 1850.
Parents are Johanes Gulbrandsen born ca 1823 and Goro Gulbrandsdatter born ca 1820.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  11:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
you said you had a picture of Marthe's sister Marie standing by a gravestone with the name Ingeborg Ensrud on it.
This Ingeborg could very well be their younger sister, born 28-feb-1889!

Could the picture be taken at the funeral? By determining Marie's age at the picture, it could give a hint of when Ingeborg died. Marie is 4 years older than Ingeborg. Is the picture taken in Norway?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/03/2006 11:15:35
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  11:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They married in Oslo!

Names fit, both ages fit, his father fit, her father fit...

Marriage: 31 DEC 1875 Trefoldighet Menighet, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Peder Olsen, birth 1837, father Ole Halvorsen
Karen Olsdatter, birth 1847, father Ole Hansen
Link

Since they both had illegitimate childs, it could very well be that the local priest in Gran denied to marry them! The distance from the Ensrud farm to the Trefoldighet church in the centre of Oslo is 70 km. Today it will take you 1hr by car, in those days probably 3-4 hrs by horse and wagon...

PEDER OLSEN
Christening: 21 APR 1837 Gran, Oppland, Norway
Parents: OLE HALVORSEN & ANNE LARSDR Link

Census-1865 with Peder, his sister Randi, and their mother widow Anne Larsdatter: Link

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article