All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Sivertsen, Snedkerlien, Norstegaard, Johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lowellsdotter
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  22:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the great grandaughter of Fredrick Sivertsen from Guisko, Sonmore Norway. Fred changed his name to Fred Severson in America. Fred married Lena Lien (she is the daugher of Thorstien Rasmussen also known as Thorstein Snedkerlien later as Tom Lien in America). My other great grandparents are Simen Sjugurdson Norstegaard from Dovre, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland, Norway. Simon changed his name to Simon Gordon when arriving in America. Simon married Josephine Johnson. All of my great grandparents settled in Dovray, Minnesota. I know that there are living relatives, as my great grandparents came from large families, and only a small few came to America. I am desperately searching for my living relatives in Norway.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  01:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm adding this info, so that people don't search in vain...

A lot of info is given abou Fred there. Coming from the Kleppestøl farm in Herøy, M&R, emigrated 1896, and was home on a visit in 1911. Parents Sevrin Sevrinsen Kleppestøl & Henna Finsdtr. link

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  02:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The farm Kleppestøl is also called just Støl or Stølen (Støylen), and was a small holding under the main farm Kleppe in Herøy, Møre & Romsdal. The farm is located on the island Gurskøy.
The owner of "Stølen" farm in 1950 was Olav Støylen.

The island is very small, and if you find someone with the name Støylen or Stølen living there today, chances are quite big that they are relatives of you...

And the Norwegian White Pages shows that there are some Støylen living on Gurskøy today...!

One of them, Oddvin, is also listed as a contactperson for a company called "Olav Støylen Møbelfabrikk" on Gurskøy, i.e. "Olav Støylen furniture factory".

So it looks like the Kleppestøl farm has been changed into a furniture factory... Møre & Romsdal county are famous for having a lot of (small) furniture factories, and history shows that a lot of them have been disused over the past years. So whether this one is still active, I'm not sure. It looks to be in business, but you'll never know...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/11/2006 03:42:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  03:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a confirmation on his birthdate, and a proof that Severin & Henna are his parents:

Fredrik Elias Severinsen
Birth: 14 OCT 1873
Christening: 26 DEC 1873, Leikanger, More Og Romsdal, Norway
Parents: Severin Severinsen & Henna Finsdr
link

Jan Peter

ps: I saw that you had Oct 14, 1874 in Guisko, Sonmore, Norway here
It should be corrected to Oct 14, 1873 on Gurskøy, Sunnmøre, Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  03:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the original churchrecord, proving that he is born in 1873, and NOT 1874. He is listed as #15.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/11/2006 03:41:35
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  03:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olav Støylen, born 31-Aug-1908, dead 10-Oct-2000 link

Olav, christened 19-Oct-1908 in Leikanger church, Herøy parish
Parents: Sigvald Severinsen and wife Tora(?) Hansdtr, residence Kleppestøl. link

So furniture maker Olav Støylen's father was Fredriks younger brother Sigvald, born 1877!
Thus; Olav Støylen and your grandmother Agnes where cousins!

Oddvin (Oddvin Ronald), the current "owner" of "Olav Støylen Møbelfabrikk" is in his 50's, so I would guess he must be Olav's son, making him a second cousin to your mother.

His phonenumber and address can be found in the Norwegian White Pages link above... Odd-Robert and Winnie listed there would most likely be his children with wife Vigdis. Btw; Odd-Robert is 30 yo on Wednesday 15th, maybe you should greet him from his third-cousin in the US...?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/11/2006 12:15:25
Go to Top of Page

Lowellsdotter
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  01:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,

How do I possibly Thank YOU????????? This absouletly warms the very depths of my heart to know that I now have something to follow up on, a living relative! I am eternally GRATEFUL!!!

Janelle
Go to Top of Page

Lowellsdotter
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  21:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made contact with my family that has taken the name of Stoylen. I have spoke with them on Skype and on the teli. They live in Alesund, Norway. I know that I also have relatives in Canada as well. I find it very interesting that they took on the Farm name and did not keep the Siversten name. I have not made contact with any relatives from the Norstegard/Norstegaard farm. Their names were Sjugurdson. This is the family that I would like to knwo the most about. This is the part of the family that I know nothing about!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article