All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Seljord Bygdebok, Telemark, Tov Andersson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2007 :  00:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone do a lookup for me? In my family tree of ancestors from Seljord and Bĝ according to the information someone sent me from the Seljord Bygdeboks, there is a Tov Andersson who got a piece of the Toe (To or Tou) farm in 1811 and and in 1826 he got the rest. He died in 1850 and his widow emigrated the year after. What is the name of the widow, is it shown in the Bygdebok?. They supposedly had 3 children, Edel (born 1816?) married to Gunnar Jĝrgenson, Gunhild married to Kjetil Eivindson, Kivle, and Ċste (born 1821?) married to Gudmund Egilson, Manheim.

My problem is that the only information I can find on a Gunhild Tovsdr married to Kjetle Eivindsen from Kivle is for a Gunhild born to Tov Andersen and Aslaug Oystensdr. This Gunhild was born in 1734. So the time frame is not even right.

The information I have found on the first Tov only lists Edel and Aste as his children and he is married to Egeliev Steinersdr.

My contact in Norway has returned the books to the library and no longer has access to them to verify the information he sent to me. And since these church books are not yet online, I have not been able to verify the above information to any degree.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Roberta

Edited by - Roberta on 24/01/2007 09:32:20

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2007 :  12:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digitalarkivet, scanned churchbook Seljord 1831-1849, Confirm record Nov. 3. 1833 p.171, nr 20. Gunnild Tovsdatter Fjĝstuft, age 15, farm Toe in Sillejord/Seljord: Parents: Tov Andersen and Angel Stenersdatter(The name of the farm is hard to understand). Probably Ĉgilif Stenersdatter 1801 sencus, nr 601, age 13, cotters farm under Nordgard. Only three Stenesdatter mentioned on 1801 sencus, all sisters.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2007 :  13:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scanned church book 1850-1865, Migration records (utflyttede-emigrerte), Seljord 1851, p 475, June 18 and 19, persons nr 100-120 (all sisters, Edel, Aste and Gunnild with families), nr 113 Egelif Stenersdatter To, age 63. Dest. Amerika. Sorry, but I have no acess to Seljord Bygdebok at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  02:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Here is a link to Ĉgilif Stenersdatter that Kċre found in the 1801 census Click Here and This is probably Tov in the 1801 census Click Here # 273 Tow Andresen living on the Toe farm.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  19:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the information. It was what I needed to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. I find the Seljord book is very hard to follow because it does not have as many dates in it as it should. And what was misleading me was that a submittal to the LDS website had the wrong Gunhild associated with Kittil. The emigration information laid out the whole family along with the widow and confirms what her name was. I don't really need the Seljord book information any more, but it would be interesting to see what it did say, if anything. All those similar names in families can lead you astray (at least 3 Tov Andersens on the Toe farm and two that had children by the name of Gunhild).

I have now found the marriages of all three sisters and the births of most of the children before the scanned church book website went down for maintenance last night.

As usual, I love this forum - someone always seems to be able to come up with answers or suggestions that are A-OK!!!

Thanks again for helping me negotiate this maze. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  20:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Seljord" books by Tov Flatin, et. al. available on microfilm at your nearest LDS Family History Center. You might also try to get them by Inter-Library loan through your local public library.
The parish church records are also available on LDS microfilm - you don't have to wait for all to be available in the online scanned collection.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  10:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don´t already know you will find them on brig Vesta in this fora, dep. port Langesund in Telemark, July 5. 1851, arr. N.Y. Sep. 2, passenger list nr 43(Kittel Evnsen age 37) - 44-45-46-47-48-49- 50 (Elise Stenersdatter age 63) - 63 (Gunder Jorgensen Toe age 35) -64-65-66-67-68-69- 117 (Gulmund Igelsen age 41) 118 (Oste age 30) - 119-120121-122 and123. Total 21 members of the same family, exact according the migration records 1851 from Seljord. The names are spelled different than in the church records and 1801 sencus, the clerk spelled what he ment was right which was normal.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  19:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I forgot the link: http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=2015
Go to Top of Page

cflaat
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2013 :  17:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roberta - I know I'm a bit late to this thread (six years :-) ) but I'm descended from Gunhild Tovsdatter and Kittel Evensen. I have some information about their activities in the USA, and recently visited Kittel Evensen's grave at East Walle church near Grand Forks, ND - many of the family members are buried there. This site doesn't seem to want to let me e-mail you (just registered) but would love to exchange information about these old-timers, as I haven't yet dug very deep on the Norwegian side. Have you published your family tree results anywhere yet?

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  00:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, I don't plan to put any of my information on the internet anywhere. Many of the living members of my family would never have shared info if they thought it was going to be public knowledge. I am always willing to work with family members researching their branches of the tree, tho. I hope the info that I sent you separately is helpful and more will be coming!!!

Roberta
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article