All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Tosten Olson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  18:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to find the family of Tosten (Torstein) Olson Ingstadkleiv that according to his obituary was born 9 Nov, 1841 at Stordalen, Norway. I have info that his parent's names were Ole and Gulag? Nothing more. You have been of great help for me in finding info on his wife's family. She was Mali, born 27 Jul 1839, daughter of Torger Olsen Osteras. Another family from our town who are family of Anders (Andrew) Lium born 13 July 1869 at Stjordal, Norway, have an obituary stating that John and Anders Lium (sons of Gunder, #788 in 1865 census of 1712 Hegre sogn) were nephews of Tosten Olson. We cannot figure out the relationship. Tosten's daughter married Anders Lium and their son claimed there were first cousins marrying at some point in this family. I know this was common.....Just questioning how? I've searched and searched the census. Thanks again for your help.
Carol

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  18:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your posting is rather confusing, it needs to be broken down into individual requests. More information on Tosten would certainly help, when did he emigrate, where did he settle, what name did he go by in North America, etc.

Anyway, Stjørdal is a district in Nord-Trondelag and Hegra is one of the parishes and Ingstad is a farm in Hegra. The Hegra church records for 1841 are not available online but they can be rented at a local family history center:

click here

Note the division of clerical districts in 1849. Recommend you rent both microfilms. You could then verify all your family information as well as other family members. They are not hard to read.

You need to track each person's ancestry to figure out the relationships. The nephews could have been foster children, or a close family friend and the term was used to avoid explaining situations, they could be many reasons for it, not just being a blood relative. It is estimated, at any one time, that 20% of people are not the biological child of who is states in the legal record. We all know people who have been raised/fostered/adopted by other family members.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 01/03/2007 18:29:20
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this one from the1865 census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=28&filnamn=f61712&gardpostnr=46&sokefelt=skjul

The patronymic name for the head of household should be noted, Gunderson.

Jo Ann is right - you don't have to wait for those records to be posted online - use a LDS Family History Center.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out..., you said from the Downloading Digitalarkivet topic that you knew about the 1865 census, also shown by Hopkins here.
Ole Gunderssøn & Gaulaa Pedersdatter living on the same farm are thus most likely his parents.
Torstein's brother Otte Olssøn is also living there.

Gunder Olsen on the Flaksjø farm are thus most likely also a brother of Torstein, ie. a son of Ole Gunderssøn & Gaulaa Pedersdatter.
In this way, Gunder sons John and Anders would be Torsteins nephews.

Gunder b. ca 1821
Otte b. ca 1840
Torstein b. 1841

Gunder are 20 years older than Otte & Torstein, but Ole & Gaulaa are born in the 1790's, so I would say it's very possible. Naming their first child Gunder is also very likely, since Ole's father was named Gunder.

All of this can be verified by checking the original church records for Hegra parish.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  20:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to everyone. I hate to be such a bother to everyone but this family has really been a puzzle. Thanks so much! I am truly of Norwegian descent. 7 of my 8 grandparents have ancestors from Norway. It makes for lots of research and I don't live near a Family Living Center. Thanks again!
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carol!

You state that you do not live near a Family Living Center. I asume that this is where church records are located.

Just wanted to remind you of the option online:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_fylke=17&idx_kilde=Alle&idx_periode=&idx_textsearch=&js=j

Press "English" and any directions will be in english.

(Press "Clear" for first page on website)

As I stated in
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3145

This is not a complete listing. ( It is scheduled that all the churchrecords for Norway will be online during 2007)

Although the churchrecords themselves not are translated, and are in Norwegian, you have to try and figure out what it says.

Maybe someone can translate for you here:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=debattforuma-eng.htm&spraak=e

( in the Users' Forum) Read the guidelines!

Berta
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article