All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Church Record Translation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  20:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the Baptismal Record for my ancestor, but I'm unable to translate and make out the names associated with the record. If anyone can help me, that would be wonderful!!

The record is located at:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?show=59&uid=15996&urnread_imagesize=full&hode=nei&ls=1

or at:
http://trees.ancestry.com/objects/b/1/a/b1a817e7-119f-4199-94ad-60b05e2ff63b-0.jpg

entry #69

It's the godparents section that I can't make out at all.

Thank you!

Edited by - nascentday on 01/10/2019 05:56:05

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  21:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Translations of the parish record formats are online -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na22.html
The entire article is worth your time to study -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

Copy either the permanent page link on the line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] or the permanent image link "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] given. The permanent page link will bring the user to the exact same web page location, with source information displayed and with all the choices for viewing at ratios from 20 to 150%. The permanent image will display only a jpg image file with greatly more limited zoom capabilities.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  21:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read that article, actually. It was very helpful. (It's why I know that the godparents section is what I don't understand.)

Thanks for the information on locating the original image link. You can find the original image at:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070108660024.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  22:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Meredith,

I checked out the link you listed, but there isn't a line #69, that I can see. If you could go back and check to make sure you've got the right link, that would be great.

If for some reason, you're having problems with the link. List the name, year, county, parish and parents names, if possible. That way if we can't see the link, we can look it up and someone should be able to translate it for you.

Good luck, Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 26/07/2007 22:51:30
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  23:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PERMANENT page link -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9571&idx_id=9571&uid=ny&idx_side=-59
Source: Vest-Agder fylke, Kristiansand, Klokkerbok nr. B 10 (1843-1850), Fødte og døpte 1845, side 58.

The same child's baptism in the ministerial book rather than klokker copy -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=899&idx_id=899&uid=ny&idx_side=-61
see record #76
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  23:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked again. The permanent link is: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9571&idx_id=9571&uid=ny&idx_side=-59
The image link is: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070607340154.jpg

Thanks for finding the baptism in the ministerial book too! That's great!!

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  23:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This wasn´t easy to read, but I think the godparents goes like this:

Thone Andersdatter, John Jensen (his profession in front of his name is hard to read), Pige(Maid) Hege Margarethe Olsdr, Oluf Larsen, Zmd??(hard to understand):Ole Tobias Knutsen, Fanejunker Johannes Jacobsen

Fanejunker was the higest ranked sergeant in the army in Norway until 1927, it was a title of honour after serving as a sergeanf for 5 years.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/07/2007 00:00:46
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  00:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Thank you SO much. I really do appreciate this. Today has been a big day for my Norwegian ancestry. :-D

May the blessings be returned to you.

Edited by - nascentday on 01/10/2019 05:55:42
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  00:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. One more question: are you able to tell what the profession of Jens Jorgen is? THANK YOU!!
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  00:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the professions are "Rebslager" and "Smed", "Ropemaker" and "Blacksmith"

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  00:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  10:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some small changes: I believe the second godfather reads "Reebslager Jon Jonsens enke" - Ropemaker Jon Jonsens widow, the third one is "Pige Inger Margarethe Olsdtr.", the fourth one reads Tmd. Osul Larsen - meaning "Tømermand" - carpenter, Osul cannot be found in the 1865 census, maybe he was dead, the fifth one reads Tmd. Ole Tobias Knudsen, and finally "Fanejunker Johannes Jacobsen"
Jens Jørgens title reads "Hegler" - I am not sure what the english word would be, but if you search for Rachel Knudsd. in the 1865 census it will be confirmed in Norwegian - even though Jens Jørgen there has the family name Lange - I do not know why - do you? (The census has a remark - it is signed by Jens J O Lange - the same Jens Jørgen Olsen?)

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  11:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Just some small changes: I believe the second godfather reads "Reebslager Jon Jonsens enke" - Ropemaker Jon Jonsens widow, the third one is "Pige Inger Margarethe Olsdtr.", the fourth one reads Tmd. Osul Larsen - meaning "Tømermand" - carpenter, Osul cannot be found in the 1865 census, maybe he was dead, the fifth one reads Tmd. Ole Tobias Knudsen, and finally "Fanejunker Johannes Jacobsen"
Jens Jørgens title reads "Hegler" - I am not sure what the english word would be, but if you search for Rachel Knudsd. in the 1865 census it will be confirmed in Norwegian - even though Jens Jørgen there has the family name Lange - I do not know why - do you? (The census has a remark - it is signed by Jens J O Lange - the same Jens Jørgen Olsen?)

I agree, it looks like "Tmd" rather then "Smed"

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

nascentday
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  17:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the re-translation.

I'm still stuck on this Helger thing. The norwegian literal translation is "holiday" or "weekend," which obviously doesn't translate into a profession. Apparently, in Germany it refers to "farm," although there are plenty of other Norwegian words to clarify what kind of farmer an individual is, so it seems odd that they would use a German term to explain his occupation. It is also a common first name. Hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2007 :  01:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much help perhaps, but
Hegler is mentioned in a recently published research assignment about an industriel spinning factory "Enigheten" and the industrial production in Norway which started more than 200 years ago.

It´s total 141 pages, but at least Hegler is located in this document, in a sentence like this.......møller og hegler kan brukes som en indikator på.........miller and hegler can be used to indicate/show.....
http://enigheten.laiv.org/Enigheten_hovedoppgave.pdf

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2007 :  09:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work Kåre, if we assume that "hegler" is the oldfashion way for the word "hekler" and Jens Jørgen was a craftsman - the witnesses are - then probably he worked in a weaving mill with the task of threading the crochet needles of the weaving machines - maybe.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article