All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Didrick magnus Hendrik Wohlert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Graeme Duckett
Starting member

New Zealand
13 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  20:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi from New Zealand.Im researching an old sailor who lived on the beach north of my home .He was a norwegian from Bergen and was born in 27 nov 1870 at Kirskorken. He was Didrick Magnus Hendrik Wohlert. His father was Magnus Ernst Kristian Fredrik Wohlert and mother Martine Margrethe (nee Hansen?)He also had a sister called Kristine. I believe Didrick was a ships carpenter,and went to sea as a boy. I would dearly love help to find any shipping records of this man. He evidently fell from a mast at sea and broke both of his legs.They were set in wooden splints and healed crookedly hence his very awkward walk.Any help would be gratefully recieved. Being a new comer to this, its a vast medium for me to absorb and try and work through. Regards Graeme Duckett.New Zealand

GMD

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  20:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#148, Didrik Magnus Hendrik
Parents: Gardener Magnus Ernst Christian Fredrik Wohlert (32) & Martine Margrethe, nee Borgen (42 ½)
Source information: Bergen county, Korskirken, Parish register (official) nr. B 5 (1866-1871), Birth and baptism records men 1870, page 107.

His father is a widower in Fredrikstad, Østfold, census 1900. He is born in Holstein, Germany, a county close to the Danish border.

Census 1875 for Bergen, Hordaland:
Mangnus Wohlert, born 1839 Holstein
Marthine Wohlert, born 1827, Aarstad parish, Aarstad
Sophie Christine Malene Wohlert, born 1869m Bergen
Didrich Heinrich Mangnus Wohlert, born 1870, Bergen

Census 1885 for Bergen, Hordaland:
Martine Wohlert, born 1827, Bergen (Supported by the husband who resides in Oslo)
Kristine Wohlert, born 1869, Bergen (Supported by the father who resides in Oslo)
Didrik Wohlert, born 1870, Bergen (Supported by the father who resides in Oslo)

Children of Bernt Andreas Nilsen b. 1867 & Kristine Sofie Wohlert b. 1869:
Anton Bernhard, born 21 JUN 1891, Korskirken, Bergen, Hordaland.
Albert Johan Eriksen, born 19 OCT 1893, Korskirken, Bergen, Hordaland.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 22/10/2008 20:38:43
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  22:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The marriage record for Magnus and Martine is #8
Magnus father was Væner Caspar Detlef Wohlert, Martine Margrethe Hansen was a widow and her father was Johannes Johannesen Borge. She was born June 16 1827, see #5 her mother was Malene Knudsdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Graeme Duckett
Starting member

New Zealand
13 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  06:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You people are amazing,thanks so much.Where would i be likely to draw informastion on Didrick joining the navy.Was the military or navy compulsary?I would like to know at what age he went to sea,and hopefully find out how he come to be here in New Zealand.Is he likely to have worked on sailing ships from Bergen to hamburg and there to america,australia etc?If he was a seaman will there be a registration?im very exited,regards Graeme

GMD
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  20:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around 1890, when Didrik Magnus would have joined the military, it was compulsory for all men.

The compulsory service as we know it today is actually a result of the French revolution (1789–1799).
Earlier (prior to the Constitution of Norway in 1814), it was only the farmers who did military service in Norway, and to a limited extent.

The Norwegian law about military service from 1816 was limited to men from the countryside (ie. townsmen was omitted), and was selective through lottery. Until 1876, it was also allowed to pay someone else to serve instead of you.

So you could say, since he was a townsman from the city Bergen (second biggest in Norway), that he could have been exempted from the military service, but since his father was a gardener (and thus probably not from a noble family), I think Didrik must have done his duty and served in the army...

I can't find him in the Norwegian 1900-census, so chances are high that he left Norway in the 1890's.
I would guess he must have joined the army between 1889 and 1892.

Census-1891 for Bergen:
Martine Wohlerts., born 1827 in Bergen
Berent Nils., born 1867 in Aalesund. Clerk at grocery
Sofie Nils., born 1869 in Bergen
Martine is listed as a widow, but that must be wrong.

Bernt Andreas Nilsen born in Aalesund 27 Feb 1867 & Kristine Sofie Malene Wohlert born in Bergen 22 Mar 1869, married Nov 16 1890 in Korskirken, Bergen.
Martine Margrete Wohlert nee. Borge, born 1826 in Bergen, died in Bergen on 19 MAR 1895.
Gardener Magnus Wollert, born 1839 in Schlesvig Holstein, Germany, died in Bergen on 04 Jan 1902.
The division of inheritance after Martine and Magnus' death should be available at The National Archives in Bergen. That should tell about the inheritors, and where they were living.

The Military lottery draw for Bergen 1860-1890 is actually available online, but I couldn't find Didrik there...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 24/10/2008 00:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Graeme Duckett
Starting member

New Zealand
13 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  06:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much jan.So by military do you mean navy?Was there a choice of navy or military service?Didrick was by all accounts a ships carpenter.Would he have to have been a sailor for some years before he took on a carpentry apprenticeship on board ship?He told several elderly residents i know here,that he fell from the mast of a sailing ship and broke both of his legs,and they were put in wooden splints at sea,and his legs healed crookedly.Also it states that his father lived in oslo and supported his mother and sister.Does this mean he had separated from his wife and was liable financially?Thank you so much for your help on this,you people are fantastic,regards Graeme

GMD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article