All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Crowe Family Genealogy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam Jobe
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  19:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for information on my Great, Great Grandfather Sir John Rice Crowe, Consul General from Britian to Norway. He died in 1877 in Kristiana, Norway and is buried in Vr Frelsers Gravlund, Oslo, Norway.
My Great Grandfather, Gabriel Sigfried Crowe was born 20 Jul 1836, Kafjord, Alma, Finnmark and I don't have any information on his life in Norway and how or when he came to America. My research starts with his first marriage, 01 Dec 1874 in Adamsville, McNairy County, Tennessee, USA . I am very interested in filling in gaps between his birth 1836 and the begining of my research with his first marriage of 1874. I would appreciate any help you could share.
Thank You

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  22:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Widower John Rice Crowe was in Christiania (Oslo) in 1865, see 33337
His son Gabriel Sigfried Crowe was not living with his father and siblings.
Search for baptismal records for Gabriel Siegfried, Gunilda and Septimus in Alta gave no hits.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/01/2009 22:42:33
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  00:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census 1880 for District 10, Mc Nairy county, Tennessee

Gabriel Sigfried Crowe is listed as G. Crow (36)
Wife Sarah Ann Mills is not listed, but their son Evan Otis Siegfried Crowe born February 17, 1880 is there.
Martha F. Crow (4) and Arthur J. R. Mills (2) could also be their children.
Gabriel Sigfried lives with his parents-in-law.

Children of Sir John Rice Crowe & wife Malene Marie Waad according to a topic on rootsweb.com:
William Crowe, born 02 Oct 1822 in Hammerfest, Finmark, died 5. november 1822, Fuglenes, Hammerfest, Finnmark
Elisabeth Crowe born 17 Mar 1824 in Fuglenes, Hammerfest, Finnmark, died 28. april 1824, Hammerfest, Finnmark
Elisabeth Waad Crowe born 20 May 1825 in Great Britain, died before 1875. Elisabeth married Georg Charles Owen
Malene Marie Crowe born 07 Dec 1826 in Great Britain, died before 1875. Malene married James Mortimer Carrey
Sigfrid Crowe born 06 Jul 1828 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died 10 Jul 1828, Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark
Anna Cecilie Crowe born 29 May 1829 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died 05 Jul 1914, Oslo. Anna married Halvor Arntzen Schou.
Henry Woodfall Crowe born 29 Apr 1831 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died 07 Nov 1865 in Oslo/Kristiania. Henry married Selma Augusta Krook.
Gunilda Crowe born 12 Oct 1832 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died 04 Feb 1914 in Roslin, Shortlands, Great Britain. Gunilda married Austen West
Charles Stuart Crowe born 09 May 1834 in Talvik, Finnmark, died 02 Sep 1893 i Fort Francis, Ontario, Canada. Charles married Maria Roi King.
Sigfrid Gabriel Crowe born 20 Jul 1836 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark.
Francis Crowe born 24 Feb 1838 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died 01 Feb 1840 i Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark.
Francis Crowe born 27 Sep 1840 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark, died after 1881 in Great Britain. Francis married Margaret Anne Brahma in Wales.
Septimus Crowe born 29 Jun 1842 in Kåfjord, Alta, Finnmark. Septimus married Georgina Bidder.

JRC's first marriage was with Cathrine Eleonora Stone, and he probably married her again after Malene's death in 1843.
His children with Cathrine was:
John Thomas Crowe born 17 Jul 1815 in London, Great Britain, bapt 28 Apr 1816 in Saint Mary, Lambeth, London, Great Britain, died before 1875.
Sarah Elizabeth Crowe bapt 16 Apr 1819 in London, Great Britain.
Maria Constantia Crowe born 29 Jul 1821 in London, Great Britain, died after 1877. Maria married Sanderson

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  07:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baptismal record for "uægte" (born out of wedlock) William Crove, born Oct 2 1822 in Hammerfest states that the father was married man and merchant from England, the mother was merchants daughter.
Elisabeth born March 17 1824 was also born out of wedlock.
Sigfrid born 1828 died before the baptism was confirmed in church.
The baptismal record for Sigfrid Gabriel is #20 born July 2 1836, baptized at home which was confirmed in church May 14 1837.
Malene Marie Waad was born Dec 7 1802, see baptismal record #1
her parents were cooper Niels Waad and Gunel Knudsdatter.
Malene Crowe died Nov 13 1843, see #32

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/01/2009 09:27:48
Go to Top of Page

Sam Jobe
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  17:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Thanks to eibache and jwiborg for helping with this information. It was a shock to learn of the two illegitimate children. I am also searching for a book called "Travels through Norway, Sweden and Finmark to the North Cape
in the summer of 1820" by A. de Capell Brook, MAA. published in London in 1823 Printed for Redwell and Martin, Bond Street 1823. I don't know of any book dealers in Norway that might have this for sale.
Thanks again for all your help,
Sam
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  21:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That book is VERY expensive but it is available at several Scandinavian "used book stores"
http://www.antikvariat.net/search.cgi?post

I ran a quick search for the word "Capell" and found the book quite easily.

A search of WorldCat databases also indicates that this book is in the holdings of over 20 libraries in the US -- and in the holdings of well over 40 libraries worldwide. You might check with your local lending library to see if any can obtain the book by Inter-Library Loan.

Edited by - Hopkins on 07/01/2009 22:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Mahon
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was suprised to find out this information about the Crowe family
I have some information on Charles Stuart Crowe, who came to Canada to work for the HBC
When he married Maria King
Their daughter Christina Maria is my great Grandmother
Christina married Dan Mosher a prospector
Their son Edward F Mosher is my Grandpa
We are Metis through Maria King
her parents were James King and Sophia Garton from Moose Factory
that is as far as i have got.
Brenda Mahon
Go to Top of Page

Sam Jobe
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  18:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brenda,
I have alot of Crowe information to share. Please contact me
at SamsRoots@Bellsouth.net
Thanks,
Sam Jobe
Go to Top of Page

Kathy Clark
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  02:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brenda I saw your post regarding the Crowe family. I am related to Sophie Garton and James King and am first nations status. I noticed you said you are metis. Would love to talk. I am heading to Moose Factory in the next couple of weeks leaving for north Ontario Saturday please contact me. Kathy Clark

Kathy Clark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article