All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Dead end Tomas Jonsen Stokmo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  19:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran into a dead end with Tomas Jonsen Stokmo born Feb 17 1848 Stokkmoen Ostre, Selbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway died March 5 1928 Klaebu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway.
He married about 1873 Sigrid Ingebrigtsdtr Ostby born June 18 1854 died Oct 14 1944 at Klæbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway of Ostby, Tydal, Sor-Trondelag, Norway.

Their son was Julius Tomasen Tanemsmo born Tanemsmoen, Klæbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway 24 Dec 1880, died in Minnesota, USA and was married to Karen Bronstad?

Can anyone find the parents of Tomas Jonsen Stockmo...thank you.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  19:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one in the 1865 census seems to be the one.
Here he is in the 1875 census.
His baptismal record, see #48 shows that he was born Febr 14 1849 at the Stokke farm.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 08/03/2010 19:52:45
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  19:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#48, born 14-Feb-1849, Thomas

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  20:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thank you
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  07:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas father John Johnsen (Jon Jonsen) was born Oct 30 1810, see last record on right page.
His parents were Jon Olsen, Kylløe and Ingebor Jonsdatter (Thomas grandmother, Ingeborg Johnsdatter in the 1865 census).
Thomas mother Ingeborg Tomasdatter (Ingebor Thomesdatter) was born Febr 7 1811, see top record on right page. Her parents were Thomes Haldorsen, Stubbe and Anne Jonsdatter.
(Note that witnesses at Thomas baptism was coming from Kylløe and Stubbe)
Thomas parents were married Nov 23 1835, see #25.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/03/2010 07:52:07
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  08:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so good! I was trying to find more but wasn't having much luck. I just don't understand how to find anything in those records. Thank you so much for continuing it.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Information to get you started searching in the other databases of the Digitarkivet -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  16:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This link for translating old Norwegian words is very helpful.

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  18:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon Olsen Kylloe and Ingeborg Jonsdatter Sandvig were married Oct 21 1810, see first couple on right page.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  20:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! I don't know how you can find or read that eibache but thank you so much for doing the work for me. Thanks Hopkins for all the information too.....I'm working on it but not getting too far.
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  02:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell my what is says down this page by the name Karen? Is it Karen Bronstad born 1881 Klæbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway? Does it say who her parents are? Thanks
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=gigant&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=7&uid=176388&js=j
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  07:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your link did not work, but I assume that #4 is the Karen you want info about.
Karen was born May 28 1881 and baptized July 24. She was born out of wedlock, the mother was Martha Hansdatter, Tømmesvold (born 1852) and the father was widower John Guttormsen, Bromstad (born 1855).
It looks like the godfathers Ole Hansen and Lara Hansdatter, both from Tømmervold could be the mothers brother and sister.
In the 1900 census her parents were married living with two children, Ole and Gunerius.
Karen was then working as a servant on the farm Forsæth.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/03/2010 07:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it! Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it and I'm sorry to be such a pest.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It looks like the godfathers Ole Hansen and Lara Hansdatter, both from Tømmervold could be the mothers brother and sister.
- I don't know if you checked this, but the census 1865 confirms the guess. It also shows you Marthas parents and her fathers mother, Gjertrud Gundersdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Jedi92851

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't yet gotten to it...it takes me much longer. Thank you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article