All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Norwegians in Kansas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leslievaughn

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  06:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Norwegian ancestors came from Talvik Norway in 1869 and I find them in the 1875 census of Grant, Lincoln Co., Kansas. In 1880 they are in Orange, Lincoln Co., Kansas. In 1885 they had moved to Blue, Pottowatomie, Kansas. By 1895 they were in Stanfold, Barron Co, Wisconsin.

Question? What would have taken them to Kansas? I imagine free land had a lot to do with it, but I wonder if there was a Norwegian population in Kansas. I have not heard much about that. It seems that Minnesota and Wisconsin were the places that most Norwegians headed. Why Kansas?

Those that were in Kansas were Lars Andersen and his wife Julia Aas. Lars anglized his name to Lewis and Julia's last name became Oas. Her parents, Lorents Oas/Aas and Louisa Ivarsdatter came from Norway with them and was in Kansas with them and then moved to Wisconsin with them.

Thanks

Leslie Vaughn

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  12:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Kansas was not a large settlement area for Norwegian emigrants. There were probably small communities that contained groups of Norwegians but you'd have to research into the history of any such community yourself.

WHY is a question impossible to answer. If the persons who made those choices didn't leave you any documentation of WHY they made certain choices then you might never know that. Research, research, research -- you might find clues in your work.
Go to Top of Page

BenteNyheim
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  13:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know when they were born and perhaps their parent¨s names? I

Bente Nyheim
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  15:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first Norwegian settlers in Kansas was Charles Christiansen from Østre Toten, Nels Ladd from Sogndal and Mathias Johnson from Biri. They came from Dane Co, Wis, and settled in Fall River, Eureka, Greenwood County, KS in the summer of 1857. Today's South Salem township.

Their claims embraced 160 acres of land. After making some improvements, they were compelled by the scarcity of provisions, to return to the settlements farther east for the winter. Nels Ladd went to Wisconsin and, on returning in the springs, was accompanied by a number of other home seekers, among them were O.E. Ladd and the Amond Erickson. Upon arriving they found their cabins occupied, their claims having all been jumped in their absence. The recovery of them caused these young men much trouble and anxiety. They were finally restored to them, however, by all parties making concessions.

I can't find any history about early Norwegian settlement in Lincoln county, but there are histories about Norwegians in Atchison, Brown & Doniphan, Republic, Cloud & Jewell, Phillips, Clark, Clay, Gove and Jefferson counties.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

leslievaughn

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  02:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help. I did not think that Kansas and Norwegians seemed to have much commonality so I am glad that Hopkins has verified that. Thanks to Jan Peter for the Kansas history lesson. Very informative.

I have recently found the parents of these settlers and am having a great deal of success on this website in another forum on the area from which they came (Talvik). Lars Andersen's parents names were Anders Larsen and Grete Martina Pedersdatter from Talvik. I don't think either of them left Norway. As earlier stated, Anna's parents were Laurents Aas and Lovisa Ivarsdatter who were married in Talvik, but were born in other areas of Norway.

Knowing why they came is not super important to me. But I thought if there were a Norwegian settlement with Norwegian records in the counties where they lived in Kansas that perhaps I could find siblings who MIGHT have come with Lars and Anna.

Thanks again for all your information

Leslie Vaughn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article