All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ABOUT THE WEB SITE
 Suggetions and questions
 Christian Larsen Gjedrud (Gjietrud, Giettrud)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwssnell
Medium member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  23:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen this farm name written at least three different ways. My g. g. grandfather Christian Larsen was born May 17, 1835 and baptized in Faaberg Parish May 28. He married Anne Olsdatter Saeterbakken in Faaberg Parish in 1858 and they emigrated to America in 1871. A the time they were living on Nordhagen in Ringsaker.
I have records of him and his mother, but his father is simply listed on the birth record as Lars Bruget of Ringsaker. His mother was Marthe Olsdatter of Gjeitrud, and they were not married. On the parents names it says Erik and Marthe Geittrud, then Petter and Ann Gjorlien(?), Simen Holtlien(?).
Christian's obituary in Wisconsin in 1932 says that he was "the only son of Lars and Martha Larson." That information would have been given by his son or daughter as Anne died first. His death certificate gives his parents as Lars and Martha Gjedrud, information given by his son-in-law. The bottom line is: How do I find Lars Bruget?

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  00:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may or may not be of help. Christian and his family in the 1865 Census.

NHDC 1865
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  00:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this his confirmation record? #23.
Birthdate 20 May 1935.... father Lars Svendsen...??

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

dwssnell
Medium member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  01:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Yes, I did have the 1865 census record. I do believe that is his confirmation record on #23 but I can't really read the parent's names even though I ramped it up to 150%. Does it say Svendsen? It does look like Lars and Martha, so that is still Faaberg, but his birth records states that his father, Lars Bruget, is from Ringsaker so he was probably born there.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parents in the confirmation record is L Christiansen and Marta Olsdr.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
On the parents names it says Erik and Marthe Geittrud, then Petter and Ann Gjorlien(?), Simen Holtlien(?).
- these persons were witnesses at the baptism.

Since the parents were not married, finding the father will be a challenge.
Lars Bruget = Lars Christiansen, Bruget, Ringsager - age not known.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  11:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ringsaker 1801; there were 3 farms containing Bruget; Nordbruget (Northern Bruget)
Sĝndrebruget (Southern bruget) Midtbruget (Central bruget)

3 candidates for Lars Christensen born in Ringsaker;

- Lars b. Nov. 10. bap. Nov. 13. 1808. Parents; Christen Rasmussen and Maria Larsdatter Prĉstegaarden?

- Lars b. April 13. bap. April 23. 1809. Parents; Christen Hansen and Berte Larsdatter Wangen.
Obs; 3 of the godparents; Kari Jensdatter Nord Bruget, Rasmus Fredriksen Nord bruget, Fredrik Rasmussen Nord Bruget, link

- Lars b.. Nov. 25. bap. Nov. 26.1815. Parents; Christian Hansen and Ane Larsdatter Sĝrlien

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 01/12/2012 20:46:26
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  13:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly a sister Christine born in Oct 1837.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

dwssnell
Medium member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  07:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. That narrows it down. If his father was Lars Christiansen then his father must have been Christian and my g. g. grandfather was named after his grandfather. I will look at those Bruget farms in the bygdebok. My Christian and Anne Saeterbakken had a daughter Maria who died in Norway before they emigrated in 1871. They also had a son Ole who emigrated with them and died in Wisconsin at age 18.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  10:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maria was born in Faaberg April 18 1864, #91.

Ole was born in Ringsaker Aug 21 1869, #124.

Family moving out from Ringsaker, #48-51.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/12/2012 10:28:12
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to be a connection to Nordbruget and Christian Hansen Bergseng or Berthe Larsdatter Vangen/Wangen.

When they married June 12. 1808 Rasmus Fredriksen Nordbruget was one of two bestmen, see 1. page 6. line from top here

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 02/12/2012 23:04:15
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  23:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worth a try.
Another name for Vangen/Wangen was Brugvangen, origin a farm under Bruget N. and the schooldistrict was Sylliċsen and Bruget.
Lars Christensen born 1809 on Vangen /Brugvangen under Bruget married Eli Vernsdatter from Ringsaker Oct. 23. 1835.
A son Kristian b. Sept. 1836 and a dau Eline on farm Brugvangen in 1865

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 02/12/2012 23:50:00
Go to Top of Page

dwssnell
Medium member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. Still not absolutely sure about Lars, except that Christian Larson's confirmation record states that his father was Lars Christensen. I know he was baptized in Faaberg, and that record I gives his father as Lars Bruget of Ringsaker. I know his mother was Marthe Olsdatter of GJedrud (Geitrud) in Ringsaker. And I know that he lived on Nordhagen at the time of the family's immigration in 1871. I have been working on this off and on for 20 years, and I may never know for sure. I am so grateful for everyone that answered.
Go to Top of Page

dwssnell
Medium member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2016 :  05:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those of you who thought that my Lars Christensen was the one from Brugvangen/Vangen/Wangen are correct. I got in touch with the genealogist in Brottum who helped write the latest bygdeboker and he agrees with that theory also. Thank you so much! That means that he was the father of my g. g. grandfather Christian Larsen, who was illegitimate, in 1835 with Marthe Gjedrud, then married Eli Vernsdatter that same year and had a legitimate son named Kristian in 1836. Quite a guy!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article