All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Blomshield and history
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

srav44
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  16:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I were going through some old family items we just received. Inside were letters from John Blomshield to Particia Marx (my husband¡¦s mother, maiden name Macon born in 1934) He signed them "your great uncle" He was living in the Philippines at the time. We also have found original sketches that he drew and old original negatives from some portraits he did. My husband was young when his mother died but he remembers her telling him that his great great uncle John was a famous artist and publisher who lived in New York. We found articles where he was in WWI and the traveled the world as an artist. He sketched and signed Earnest Hemingway¡¦s jacket to his book and was famous for doing a self portrait in the early 1900's. We would like to find if possible the letters my husband¡¦s mother (Patricia Marx ( maiden name Macon) wrote to her great uncle John Blomshield. We would like to also find out how he is related to us and his heritage. Any information would be helpful. Thanks ƒº

Stephanie Marx

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  16:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can learn a lot about John Blomshield the artist on Google. Also he appears in this earlier thread on this site. It is ten pages long and covers a lot of subjects as well as some information about John Blomshield. Page 4 might be the most informative.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5386&SearchTerms=bloomshield

Edited by - AntonH on 23/10/2013 17:43:06
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  17:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of information on John W Blomshield on Ancestry.com if you have a subscripton to the service. Here is an example with some perhaps useful dates.

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
Name: John W Blomshield
Birth Date: 31 May 1895
Birth Place: Bay City, Michigan
Passport Issue Date: 4 Feb 1922
Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
Residence: C/o Morgan Harjes Paris,
Father Name: John Mansen Blomshield
Father's Birth Location: Norway
Father's Residence: Deceased
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  17:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The topic is quite long, so just to summarize:

The artist John Wesley Blomshield was born 31 May 1895 in Bay City, Michigan. He died in New York in June 1952.
Parents: Johannes Hansen Skjellerudsveen ("John Blomshield") and wife Otilia J.
Census-1900
Census-1940

His father Johannes Hansen Skjellerudsveen, born 20 Dec 1856 at Skjellerudsveen nordre farm in Fåberg, Oppland, Norway.
Emigration to America on 06 Nov 1880: Johannes Hans. Blomskjold, Clerk, 23 y.o.
Johannes Blomskjold, Arrival Date (New York): 01 Dec 1880.
Marriage (1) 01 Oct 1884 i Bay City, Bay, Michigan, USA, to Wilhelmina M. Carlson, born 1863 in Sweden.
Marriage (2) 1893 with Otilia J, born Apr 1872 in Michigan, USA.

John Blomshield's signature can be seen above "Ernest Hemingway".

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/10/2013 19:03:08
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  18:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely image!

srav44, do you know the names and identifying information of Patricia's parents? Her four grandparents? If not these will have to be found before your connection can be found.

1900 US census
West Bay City 3, Bay, Michigan
John Bloomshield, 42, b Dec 1857 Norway, to USA 1882, married 7 years
Otilia J Bloomshield 28
Almer H J Bloomshield 14
Agnes L Bloomshield 11
Minnie Bloomshield 8
Carl Bloomshield 6
Wesley Bloomshield 5 <---------------------------John Wesley Bloomshield the artist

Below, this is probably the family in 1910, indexed in a census record gone wild. No children are shown as born after John Wesley:

1910 (as transcribed on Ancestry.com)
Bay county, Michigan
John H Bloomfield 51
Metottia Bloomfield 38
Agnes L Bloomfield 21
William M Bloomfield 18 [Wilhelmine/Minnie?]
Carrol S Bloomfield 16
John W Bloomfield 14

If John is literally a great-uncle to Patricia Macon, then one of his siblings is a grandparent to Patricia.

Edited by - JaneC on 23/10/2013 22:13:53
Go to Top of Page

srav44
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  18:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will check with him tonight when I get home. This may explain the photo we found from 1900 and one from 1918 of three men and four ladies that we did not recognize. One did look like great uncle John but we did not know who the others were. They were probably his parents and siblings. ( I will scan and post what I have tomorrow). We also have a photo of a woman standing in front of John's House in New York and a photo in his livingroom with his self portrait hanging on the wall. Patricia’s mother told her they visited him there. The only reason I know this is because my husband remembers his mother telling him stories as a kid. He remembers them every time we go through old photos and gets amazed at how much he remembers from when he was a kid.. I will get the photos tonight and hopefully we can help my husband connect the dots of his heritage. This would be so great!

Stephanie Marx
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  19:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patricia Macon b 1934 should be findable in the 1940 census.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  19:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1940

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/10/2013 21:23:52
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  21:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 siblings to John Wesley BLOMSHIELD (1895-1952):
BLOMSHIELD, Elmer H. J. b: 16 MAY 1886 in West Bay City, Bay County, MI d: 19 DEC 1942. Spouse: Edna Mae Winnie. Son: Vernon James Blomshield (26 DEC 1908 - JAN 1984), Bay City, Bay, MI.
BLOMSHIELD, Agnes Lydia b: 21 SEP 1888 in West Bay City, Bay County, MI. Spouse: Carl P. Wagner (1878-1954). Daughter: Geraldine Wagner b: 22 SEP 1913 in Chicago, Cook, IL
BLOMSHIELD, Wilhelmina Mathilda b: Dec 1891. Spouse: John G Rylander. Son: John G. Rylander Jr, died Santa Barbara, CA. Census-1940.
BLOMSHIELD, Carl Spureeon b: 16 SEP 1893 in West Bay City, Bay County, MI. Spouse: Mary Welsh. Marriage: Lawton, OK. Son: John Bryant Blomshield (1920-1984)

Geraldine Wagner was married to John Lance Macon... She died died 20 March 1972 in Pinellas.
John & Geraldine must be Patricia's parents. See also this.

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/10/2013 21:49:47
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bravo!

Geraldine Blomshield Wagner, daughter of
Agnes Lydia Blomshield and
Carl Petrus Wagner
[Cook County Births, indexed on Ancestry.com]

1940 census in Chicago at 3317 Palmer Street
John is born about 1907 in Alabama, Geraldine born about 1914 in Illinois; kids Patricia age 4 and Sheila one month old. Apparently there was a brother Lance b abt 1944 (moved to Seattle ca 2006) and Sheila lived in Alabama ca 2006 (per poster on link below). The poster states he has photos of Agnes and family - and this may help in the identification of the photos you've received:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.michigan.counties.iosco/65.3.1/mb.ashx

On the Wagner side, the other poster (Richard Wagner) listed his address as Estherville, Iowa and was seeking descendants of Geraldine.

Edited by - JaneC on 23/10/2013 22:20:24
Go to Top of Page

srav44
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  22:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so excited!! Thats her!!!
My husband has an aunt Shelia and an Uncle Lance. So this means that:
John Wesley Blomsheild is my husbands Great Great Uncle,
Agnes Lydia is his my husbands Great Great Grandmother, and;
Geraldine Wagner Macon is his grandmother,

Now all I have to do is re-read everything in these post from John Blomsheild and go backwards to find out how it ALL started.....

I told my husband next I am researching my family line we had a funny name of Blodgot(?) or something like that before coming here and changing it to Bloodgood.

Thank you all for all of your help! Its crazy how we can learn so much from the internet now days. I will also get in touch with Mr. Wagner to give him what information I have.

Stephanie Marx
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  22:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by srav44

This may explain the photo we found (...) from 1918 of three men and four ladies that we did not recognize.

If it is the Blomshield family, it should be 4 men and 3 ladies, at this age:

John                (62)
Otilia J.           (46)
Elmer H. J.         (32)
Agnes Lydia         (30)
Wilhelmina Mathilda (27)
Carl Spureeon       (25)
John Wesley         (23)
Go to Top of Page

srav44
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  23:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Three ladies and four men and the youngest woman looks alot younger than any of these ages listed above, however she may just have really good genes. lol There is also a baby in one of the photos. I will post the pictures and a copy of the letter tomorrow after I scan them in and hopefully I can fill in a blank space, in someone photo albumn, the way you all have helped me fill in the empty spaces for my husband about his family. I just sent him a text JOKINGLY saying " I now know where your bloodline comes from and we need to talk because this is just not working for me....lol He responded "WOW, Just amazing! I can not wait to talk about it tonight when you get home." He is very happy. THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Stephanie Marx
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  23:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the Blomshield children had their own families by 1918, so maybe some of them are pictured?
E.g. Agnes' daughter Geraldine Wagner Macon would be 5 y.o.
Wihelmina had a daughter June, 1 y.o.
Elmer had a son Vernon, 10 y.o.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/10/2013 23:46:34
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  23:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful - so fun!

Agnes's brother Elmer was Hjalmar Luther Blomshield. The middle name Luther found in his WWI registration. From Wyandotte, Wayne County, Michigan, Death Index, 1820-1965 (indexed on Ancestry.com) he is Hjalmar L Blomshield born 16 May 1886, died 19 Dec 1942. Both he and his father belonged to Masonic Lodges per descendant (see link). Hjalmar/Elmer lived in Trenton, Wayne, Michigan (per US census). http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.organizations.masonic/119/mb.ashx

Descendant of Hjalmar says John (the father) was a "civil engineer by trade. Lived in Bay City mid 1880s, then moved to Lansing. Was an engineer for the state."
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.michigan.unknown/4911/mb.ashx

Obituaries
TAWAS HERALD: May 1914
Iosco County Michigan
Blomshield, John H - Legal 05/01/1914 P2c6
- back in an edit to say John Hansen Blomshield b 1855 still living, need to see original to know what this is

A bit re John Wesley here:
http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/container/viewer/Blackburn-Harrison-Blum-Gallery--203388

A son with middle name Luther and a son with middle name Wesley - two religious leaders

Edited by - JaneC on 24/10/2013 01:16:33
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  23:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Wonderful - so fun!

Agnes's brother Elmer was Hjalmar Luther Blomshield.

His name must have been Elmer Hjalmar Luther Blomshield.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article