All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Gjerdrum - Louise H. Gjerdrum - Bjerke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

KristenHicks
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  20:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!! I am so incredibly excited! After years of hitting a wall, I finally have been able to locate my Grandmother's passage to America!!

She came via the Stavangerfjord, arriving at Port of New York (PoNY) on 15 July 1919. I knew our family name of Gjerdrum, however she was listed with the last name of Bjerke.

It appears that my Great-Grandmother Louise H (for Hans' daughter) Gjerdrum came to the US, via the Oscar II, 31 May 1910, approximately 2 months after giving birth to my Grandmother, "Else Bjerke". Louise's last name was misspelled on the manifest, as "GjerdruN". From assumption, it would seem that my Grandmother was left in Norway, under the care of her Grandfather (Louise's Dad) Hans, residing at Kløften Street. This information I have acquired through the original manifests from the ships.

9 years later, Louise then returned to Norway, as a US Citizen, married to a gentleman by the name of Theodor Wunch, (whose family was from Lanesboro, MN), bringing my Grandma back to America, moving her to Chicago to be exact, in 1919.

Upon Louise's original voyage to the US in 1910, she was going to be staying with "Uncle Martin Gjerdrum" (Hans' brother), of Lanesboro, Minnesota. Residing in the same town was the Wunsch family, and the rest seems to be history. The only passage I have found for Martin, (originally from Norway as well), was aboard the Stavangerfjord, arriving PoNY 7 Oct 1919, when he was already in possession of a US Passport.

I would like to know more about Hans Gjerdrum, as I believe he would be my Great-Great Grandfather, as well as the Bjerke family, making them the other side of my Great-Great's, via my Grandmother.

I have answered lifelong family questions FINALLY, but have replaced them, with dozens more. If anyone has any relevant information, that may assist me on this journey, please feel free to contact me! Here, I have e-mail, facebook, whatever you have, I would love to know about my lineage, a bit further back. Thank you so very much, in advance!

~Kristen Hicks

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  21:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louise Hansen Gjerdrum was from Gjerdrum municipality.

She was born on farm Gjerdrum April 11. 1886 and christened Anna Louise Hansdatter April 25 in Gjerdrum kirke from 1686.
Parents; "Gaardbruger" Farmer Hans Hansen b. 1857 and "Hustru" Wife Anne Marie Nilsdatter born 1860, see last record #3

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/01/2014 21:29:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  22:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family on Gjerdrum 1900.
Lovise 1886, occ; Housework and she had four younger siblings.
Erik Sørensen, occ. servant.
Hans parents Hans Hansen b. 1828 and Berte Maria Hansdatter, civil status for both "Føderaad" free supplies on the farm for the rest of their life.
Two lodgers, Martin and Magnus.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/01/2014 22:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  23:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gjerdrum 1910
A daugter Valborg born 1902.

Ida 1891 "Budeie" Milkmaid
Thora 1862, poor pauper from Oslo
Two lodgers, married couple Gudbrand and Berthe.

The birth records are stated for the whole family.
The scanned church books for Gjerdrum if you want to search on your own.
Exiting to be the first to find their bap. records and the mother Anna Marie Nilsdatters parents

"Fødte og døpte" = Born and baptized.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/01/2014 23:40:01
Go to Top of Page

KristenHicks
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  00:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre!!

You are AWESOME!! Thank you so much for your investigating! I am so excited!! We were always under the impression that my Grandma's name was "Elsa Mae". I cannot wait to dig into these files! Of course, with the help of Google Translate! :)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

Kristen

Edited by - KristenHicks on 18/01/2014 00:25:01
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  00:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The formats of the various types of Norwegian church records have been translated and put online -- if you know what a column was supposed to show it makes it much easier to understand them.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na20.html

The following link is to a very useful list of translated Norwegian words that are commonly encountered in records we use to track our family histories, including many common abbreviations that Good Translate just won't help with -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Go to Top of Page

KristenHicks
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  02:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Thank you Hopkins! I've tracked back to Hans Mikkelsen, but am exhausted. May call it a night amidst all of the "Hanses"... :)
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  11:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KristenHicks

Kåre!!

You are AWESOME!! Thank you so much for your investigating! I am so excited!! We were always under the impression that my Grandma's name was "Elsa Mae". I cannot wait to dig into these files! Of course, with the help of Google Translate! :)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

Kristen

You are welcome.
Genealogy is fun, exiting and even exhausting
With Louise`s 4 siblings you must have a large family in Norway.

If any of them emigrated your G.Grandmother would have known about it.

Your Hans Hansen born 1857 had a brother Martin born 1862.

If you want some help, do not be afraid to ask.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

KristenHicks
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  16:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036392130087

Good morning guys!

This is the only trail of a child named Else, being born in that area in April 1910. #4, is the record in question. If indeed Lovise, had delivered an illegitimate child back then, would it have made sense for her to have given the baby her own mother's last name? Lovise's Mom, was Anne Maria Nilsen. This child is known as Else Nilsen, and the birthdate matches up, April 1910. Lovise shows in the Census on her father's farm, during the same Census, with no child having been/being born. What would have been the "protocol" for young, unwed mothers back then? We know that when Lovise went to America the first time May 1910, she went to visit Uncle Martin, "to seek a better life"...

Looking at the list of Household members, is it me, or do they all appear to be children?? Was/could this have been an orphanage? A hospital?

Also, where does the last name of Bjerke come into play, as when my Grandmother traveled to America in 1919, she was "Else Bjerke". Sorry for so many questions...

This roller coaster of "Figure out your Norwegian Roots-101", is really picking up steam!

http://www.mchlibrary.info/history/chbu/21341.PDF

Found this, trying to decipher the legal garb now.

Thank you again! ~Kristen

Edited by - KristenHicks on 18/01/2014 16:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think perhaps it is a orphanage for children born out of wedloc??
Else was born in Oslo. Occ. described as Patient for all children??
Residential status; "mt" an abrr. for "midlertidig" temporary
Her mother was unmarried maid.

If she is the right Else is diff. to know, Elses father was Nils (unknown lastname)
Louises fathers had a sister Maren Birgitte b. 1854, she married Martin Olsen Ekeberg in 1874 and they settled down in Oslo.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2014 17:22:55
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  18:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KristenHicks

Upon Louise's original voyage to the US in 1910, she was going to be staying with "Uncle Martin Gjerdrum" (Hans' brother), of Lanesboro, Minnesota. Residing in the same town was the Wunsch family, and the rest seems to be history. The only passage I have found for Martin, (originally from Norway as well), was aboard the Stavangerfjord, arriving PoNY 7 Oct 1919, when he was already in possession of a US Passport.

~Kristen Hicks

Do you know if Martin was married ?
Martin Hansen 26 (born 1862) and wife Hanna H.(Sandum) from Gjerdrum em. 1889 to Blue Earth (Minnesota?) link

Martin Hansen Gjerdrum b. 1862 em. to America 1889, see right page #7

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2014 19:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  00:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I close my pc I came across this photo taken in Christiania (Oslo) of Martin Hansen Gjerdrum link

A namesake or Louises uncle?
If it is Martin Gjerdrum is was probably taken 1889 when he em.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

KristenHicks
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  12:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre

Sorry so long in geting back. Had company over yesterday, and was also finally able to transmit as much info as I have gathered to my cousin in Chicago, as my brother and I are both in Florida... To tell you the truth, I am still quite overwhelmed at what we have found, thus far.

I have not yet begun to research the family members of Lovise, as now I am trying to specifically figure out what happened to my Grandmother between 1910-1919. We know she was at the Pilestrædet 32 during the 1910 Census, immediately after birth, as Else Nilsen. Then the next we know, she is aboard the Stavangerfjord in 1919, as Else Bjerke. Our minds are just boggled here...

Up early this morning, preparing food for my Father-in-Law's Birthday Celebration, so I won't be on much today either. However I wanted to tell you, that your assistance is absolutely priceless to my family and I, and we are truly grateful to you.

I do plan on digging back into the archives within the next couple of days, as I'm ready to begin writing down as much of this information as we have so far, according to names and birthdates. The picture of Martin, is AMAZING. What a handsome fellow!! The rush of emotions, through this whole journey is just, truly indescribable.

Again, on behalf of my brother, my cousin, and myself, thank you so, so much. You have all been so helpful, and wonderful to us.

~Our Best Regards, Kristen

Edited by - KristenHicks on 19/01/2014 12:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  23:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin Hansen Gjerdrum looks like a handsome fellow.
When you have sorted all the information and if you want more I have the whole family-line on Gjerdrum (in Norwegian) back to Tosten Jonsen and Aagot Hansdatter both born ca 1666.

-Else Nilsen was 4. mth when the census was done Dec. 1, born ca August 1.

Em. from Oslo July 1919: Else Bjerke born April 1. 1910. Residence; Østre Aker (Oslo) on Stavangerfjord to New York.
Purpose of the travel; to her parents, link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/01/2014 23:58:23
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2014 :  05:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Else.

Births/Baptisms - Ministerialbok for Kråkstad prestegjeld, Ski sokn 1893-1917 (0212P)
Else born 01.04.1910 [= 01 April 1910]
baptized 22.04
illegitimate
Father: unmarried Fabrikarb. Kristian Olafsen Bjercke born 1890, residence Bøhn st.
Mother: u. Gaardmandsdat. Lovise Hansen Gjerdrum born 1886, residence Gjerdrum
Dåpsmeldar: Josefine Bjerke
Fadder/baptismal sponsors:
kone Josefine Bjerke, kone Julie Heiestad, sergeant Martin Heiestad, sergeant Kristian Pedersen
there's a note on the far right; I'm not sure what it is saying
#7:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060911030544.jpg

A man Kristian Bjerke, single, occupation fabr.arb. and born 1891, emigrates May 1910, destination Canada

1910 Norway census
Residence: Søli (av Veiby), Kråkstad herred, Akershus
Josefine Bjerke born 29.01.1860 in Kra. , widow, pensionist
Solveig Bjerke born 22.10.1895
Harriet Bjerke born 16.12.1896
Hans Bjerke born 06.09.1901
Rakel Bjerke born 19.06.1903
Åsta Bjerke - foster daughter born 07.12.1908
Else Bjerke - foster daughter born 01.04.1909
Nils Aronsen born Sweden
Hanna Aronsen

1900 Norway Census
Tøiengaden 27, Kristiania kjøpstad
Hans Henrik Fr. Bjerke b 1864 in Onsø, politioverkonstabel
Josefine Bjerke b 1860 Kristiania
Hjørdis Bjerke b 1891 Kristiania
Solveig Bjerke b 1895 Kristiania
Harriet Bjerke b 1896 Kristiania

Don't know how this foster family is connected, but the father Hans could be Hans Henrik Fredriksen son of Fredrik Anton Jensen and Louise Olsdatter and living in Onsøy prestegjeld in 1865.

More about the 1919 Ellis Island immigration record that was mentioned above. The website transcribes the name as Else Bjerks (though original says Bjerke). She's age 9, traveling with Louise Wunsch, noted as mother/daughter. Last permanent residence: Kløften St. Name and address of nearest relative in country whence alien came: Grandfather: Hans Gjerdrum...Kløften St. Else's place of birth: Kristiania

Edited by - JaneC on 20/01/2014 15:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2014 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exellent finding Jane

Unmarried Factory worker Kristian Olafsen Bjerke.
Last chapter; Both parenst "1ste lejemål" 1. child born out of wedloc. Reported by Josefine Bjerke.
I believe Josefine Bjerke, retired widow in 1910, is father Kristian Olafsen Bjerkes mother, Elses grandmother.

Baptized in Kråkstad church from 1150

Kløfta st, Kløfta railroad-station link

Fathers recidence when Else was bapized, Bøhn/Bøn stasjon link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/01/2014 15:40:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article