All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Hemmestveit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asudbo
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2002 :  17:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information about Torjus Hemmestveit, his brother
Halvor Hemmestveit, and his sister Aasne Hemmestveit. In particular I am interested in information about Aasne. She was born in Morgedal, Norway in 1865, and died in 1921. I believe she married a person by the name of Ramstad and settled in Ada Minnesota, and I would like to know if she had children, who they were and if anyone of them are still alive. Torjus, Halvor, and Aasne came over to Minnesota around 1880-1895, together with Mikkel Hemmestveit and Birgit Hemmestveit, another brother and sister. Birgit also remained in Minnesota, but Mikkel went back to Norway. I have tried hard to find anyone of them on passenger lists but have not succeeded. Perhaps they did not use the Hemmestveit name in the US?

Asle Sudboe

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  20:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Asle, If you go to the Digitalarkivet (link is below) and search on emigrants from Oslo, you will find Aasne, Anne, and a couple of other Hemmestveit's. I searched using Last Name contains Hemmes which will pickup any names spelled wrong or starting with another name.

There is a Aasne Ramstad listed in Polk County in the Minnesota Death Cerificates database http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm
Ada Minnesota is in Norman County but my guess is this is the Aasne you are looking for.(Polk county is located next to Norman county) You can order copies of the death certificate on line and it could give you more information.

This is a site that has lot of information on Norman County and you might find someone to contact. http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnnorman/index.htm

or you might try contacting someone listed on this site.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnnorman/NCGenSoc.html

My best guess is that the brothers probably went by the name Tveit or Tvedt in America or used their patronymic name.
Good Luck
Carla
Go to Top of Page

scott
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2002 :  06:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI MAY NAME SCOTT HEMMESTVEDT WE CHANGED THE I TO D?????MY GREAT-UNCLES NAME WAS TORJUS HEMMESTVEIT HE REST IN GOODRIDGE MINNESOTA USA MAYBE I CAN HELP. HEMMESTVEDT_SCOTT@HOTMAIL.COM

Go to Top of Page

sshmn
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2002 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI, My grandmother was Aasne Hemmestvedt (thats how I've always seen it spelled til now)I was unaware of the spelling change. On her marriage licence application it's spelled Hemestveit. She married Peder (Per) Ramstad Ap 22,1896. She died in the Crookston,Mn.(Polk County) hospital,Ap7,1921. She is buried in the Ada Cemetary. She had 6 children, all deceased now, but has many grandchilren. I've started doing research on the rest of the family recently, so don't have a lot of info on the others. Are you related? There are Hemmestvedt's in several areas of Minnesota and elsewhere so not all of them changed it

Go to Top of Page

jjensen
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  04:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My maternal Grandfater and Great Grandfather were both named Torjus Hemmestveit. Mikkel was by Great Grandfather's brother. They changed the spelling to Hemmestvedt upon immigration. Mikkel did not return to Norway permanently, as he is buried in an unmarked grave in Red Wing, Minnesota--if we are referring to the same Mikkel. He was a ski-jumping record holder as was his brother Torjus.

There are numerous relatives of the Hemmestvedts in the Ada area--Strand is their last name, they make be more familiar with the other Hemmestveits you mention as I believe they are descended from them. The only Hemmestvedts, by name, that I know of are my one (single) first-cousin, named after Mikkel, who lives near Goodridge, MN where both Torjus's are buried. They are buried in the cemetary at Telemarken Church that the latter Torjus helped construct.

The three most "connected" areas of Minnesota to the Hemmestvedt family I am related to are Norman County (Ada), Pennington County (Goodridge area), and the Red Wing, Minnesota area as these are where they first settled.

The other Hemmestvedt family in Minnesota that I know of live in the Minneapolis area I believe. They used live in/near Pennington County. My cousin Scott replied to this posting earlier it would appear. His father is the son of the latter Torjus Hemmestvedt.

There are relatively few descendents of Torjus and Mikkel still alive in the U.S. I visited Mikkel's family in Norway about 30 years ago and they were all bachelor farmers, as were many of their descendents in the U.S.

Most of this information is from memory; I do have a copy of the Hemmestvedt family history as it relates to Torjus Hemmestvedt, that my mother wrote. She was the daughter of the latter Torjus.

There are considerable Hemmestveit historical pieces at Holmenkolen ski jump near Oslo, Norway. There is information in ski jumping publications and websites that refer to the early days of the sport. A Google search will reveal a surprising amount of information now--it used to return nothing. I got seven pages using "Hemmestveit" as a search term today.

Go to Top of Page

asudbo
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2003 :  19:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the information! It has helped greatly! And sorry about very late reply!
Best regards
Asle Sudbĝ
Go to Top of Page

asudbo
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2003 :  19:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sshmn
In response to sshmn: Thanks for the information! My paternal grandmother was the sister of the second wife of Mikkel Hemmestveit, who actually returned to Norway and bought a farm in Morgedal, Telemark, where he originally came from. His first wife died giving birth to a baby that was stillborn. His second wife was my great-aunt Tone (born Donstad), also from Morgedal. They had four children: Torjus, Olav, Birgit, and Anne. They have all passed away now, Birgit was the last living peron in Norway bearing the famous and proud name of Hemmestveit. Birgit Hemmestveit passed away on August 9, 2002.

Asle Sudboe

HI, My grandmother was Aasne Hemmestvedt (thats how I've always seen it spelled til now)I was unaware of the spelling change. On her marriage licence application it's spelled Hemestveit. She married Peder (Per) Ramstad Ap 22,1896. She died in the Crookston,Mn.(Polk County) hospital,Ap7,1921. She is buried in the Ada Cemetary. She had 6 children, all deceased now, but has many grandchilren. I've started doing research on the rest of the family recently, so don't have a lot of info on the others. Are you related? There are Hemmestvedt's in several areas of Minnesota and elsewhere so not all of them changed it

Go to Top of Page

asudbo
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2003 :  19:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The relative of yours that is living in Goodridge is presumably Michael Truman Hemmestvedt. Your Greta Grandfather Torjus and his brother Mikkel Hemmestveit left Morgedal in Telemark in the 1880's for Red Wing. Apparently he must have had a son named Torjus as well, your maternal grandfather. You may be interested in knowing that the above Mikkel Hemmestveit actually returned to Norway and bought a farm in Morgedal, the village he originally left. He had been married in the US but his first wife died in the US while giving birth to a baby. Mikkel then returned to Norway and married the sister of my paternal grandmother, his second wifes name was Tone (born Donstad). Tone and Mikkel had four children, namely Olav, Torjus, Anne, and Birgit, all umarried and living on the farm that Mikkel bought. They must be the ones you met about 30 years ago. Birgit was the last survivor, and the last person in Norway bearing the name Hemmestveit. She passed away on August 9, 2002.

Asle Sudboe

quote:
Originally posted by jjensen

My maternal Grandfater and Great Grandfather were both named Torjus Hemmestveit. Mikkel was by Great Grandfather's brother. They changed the spelling to Hemmestvedt upon immigration. Mikkel did not return to Norway permanently, as he is buried in an unmarked grave in Red Wing, Minnesota--if we are referring to the same Mikkel. He was a ski-jumping record holder as was his brother Torjus.

There are numerous relatives of the Hemmestvedts in the Ada area--Strand is their last name, they make be more familiar with the other Hemmestveits you mention as I believe they are descended from them. The only Hemmestvedts, by name, that I know of are my one (single) first-cousin, named after Mikkel, who lives near Goodridge, MN where both Torjus's are buried. They are buried in the cemetary at Telemarken Church that the latter Torjus helped construct.

The three most "connected" areas of Minnesota to the Hemmestvedt family I am related to are Norman County (Ada), Pennington County (Goodridge area), and the Red Wing, Minnesota area as these are where they first settled.

The other Hemmestvedt family in Minnesota that I know of live in the Minneapolis area I believe. They used live in/near Pennington County. My cousin Scott replied to this posting earlier it would appear. His father is the son of the latter Torjus Hemmestvedt.

There are relatively few descendents of Torjus and Mikkel still alive in the U.S. I visited Mikkel's family in Norway about 30 years ago and they were all bachelor farmers, as were many of their descendents in the U.S.

Most of this information is from memory; I do have a copy of the Hemmestvedt family history as it relates to Torjus Hemmestvedt, that my mother wrote. She was the daughter of the latter Torjus.

There are considerable Hemmestveit historical pieces at Holmenkolen ski jump near Oslo, Norway. There is information in ski jumping publications and websites that refer to the early days of the sport. A Google search will reveal a surprising amount of information now--it used to return nothing. I got seven pages using "Hemmestveit" as a search term today.

Go to Top of Page

sassenach
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  03:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am doing some research for a cousin of mine. Her grandmother's name was Helen Knutson Hemmestvedt, born in Harmony MN on Oct 30 1860. She married Louis Gulbran Humble (date u/k) and she died 1942 in Bracken Sask Canada.

The only other additional information that I have is that she may have had a sister Carrie Hemmestvedt and possibly another sister known only as "Aunt Bell".

I appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide.

Thanks,

Colleen Lill
Canada

quote:
Originally posted by jjensen

Go to Top of Page

Ruth Strand
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  06:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have quite a bit of information on the Strand connection to the Hemmestveits. Am just now working to improve the Hemmestveits part of our family tree. If anyone is interested they can email me at blue28elf@yahoo.com

Ruth Strand
Go to Top of Page

sandy gross
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  19:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, My maiden name is Sobczak, my great grandfather was Torjus Hemmestvedt. My grandmother was Myrtle Thompson of Goodridge, MN, daughter of Torjus. I live in St. Paul and have 5 brothers that live in MN. Many of my brothers were ski jumpers, like Torjus. email if you'd like anymore information. My grandmother and her brothers and as far as I know Torjus and my great grandma are buried in Goodridge, MN.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  18:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As intersted in ski jumping and Nordic skiing the name Hemmestveit sounded familiar.
Both brothers Mikkel and Torjus Hemmestveit will always be a part of the Norwegian skiing history.
Torjus and Mikkel recieved in 1928 Holmenkollen medal

They represented Morgedal Ski-Club in Norway and Aurora Ski-Club in USA.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 31/10/2009 18:28:59
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the red cection from this Morgedal site you can read that the Hemmestveit brothers Torjus and Mikkel Hemmestveit started the worlds first ski school on Oslo (1881)

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 01/11/2009 10:53:25
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  11:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Information in Norwegian from Brunkeberg church tells both Torjus and Mikkel Hemmestveit and the South pole explorer and member of the Amundsen team who were first on the South pole 1911, Olav Bjċland, are buried in the cemetery of Brunkeberg

See also this information from Telelaget of America down by the image.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 01/11/2009 11:20:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article