All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Obtaining Place of Birth from Parish Record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  04:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to determine just where Johannes Gullackson was born. His birth record is the last record on the left side of this page (if I do this correctly):

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/11558/47873/83

This shows at the top of the record:
SAB, Lavik Sokneprestembete, Parish register (official) no. A 1, 1809-1822, p. 208-209

So, it appears he was born in Lavik County. Does this record specify where? Is there anything else of significance that can be gleaned from this record? (Parents Gullack Johannesson and Cicilia Aslachsdtr both born in Fitje?)

An entry on page 809 of the Bygdabok for Vik I Sogn III indicates (if Google translated correctly) that he was born in Ortnevik (Sogn og Fjordane OR Vestland--I've seen it both ways).

Page 16 of Ættebok for Kyrkjebø lists Johannes under Fitje (also Vestland County), but I don't think that is indicative of a place of birth.

Oldtimers on here may remember my search for Betsy Johnson back in 2013. I eventually discovered--after LOTS of help from the folks here--through a close DNA match with my mother that Betsy was really Britha Johannesdtr--daughter of Johannes Gullackson. She changed her name when she immigrated to the United States.

Thank you for any insight you can offer. It is much appreciated.

NancyB

NancyB

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
797 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  13:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parish book entry indicates that his parents were living at Fitje at the time of the baptism, so that is probably also the place of birth. One of the witnesses was living at Tune, which is one of the neighboring farms of Fitje. On this map you can see "Fitjane" and "Tunane" close to each other, with Ortnevik in the middle. Added: The map is interactive, so you may zoom out to see where in Norway it is. Another map I have has "Fitje" and "Tune" written on the same locations, so these are just different versions of the names.

Lavik was the name of the parish were he was baptised. As was often the case, they crossed the Fjord on their way to church. "Sogn og Fjordane" and "Vestland" are both correct. Ortnevik, Lavik, Fitje etc. belonged to Sogn og Fjordane county until last year, but is now merged with Hordaland in the new county of Vestland

Edited by - ToreL on 31/03/2020 21:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  13:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fitje was also the name of a farm in Lavik, Sogn og Fjordane. Wouldn't that be the simpliest assumption?

My notes indicate that Lavik was earlier part of Gulen (Evindvik), Sogn og Fjordane.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
797 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  14:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Fitje was also the name of a farm in Lavik, Sogn og Fjordane. Wouldn't that be the simpliest assumption?

My notes indicate that Lavik was earlier part of Gulen (Evindvik), Sogn og Fjordane.

Lavik parish also included the local parishes of Bø and Kyrkjebø, and the parish book with the given entry also covered these subparishes. Kyrkjebø is almost right across the fjord from Ortnevik/Fitje, just a little further out, and from what I can determine, Ortnevik did indeed belong to Kyrkjebø subparish. The fact that Ortnevik is mentioned in a secondary source, and that a witness was living at Tune, are also worth noting.

Edited by - ToreL on 02/04/2020 18:42:10
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johannes Gullackson was likely born here (click image to enlarge):

It seems the properties are an airbnb today. Postal address: Ortnevik 64, 5962 Bjordal

Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  05:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to all who responded. The maps are very interesting. t amazes me that people would cross the sound to get to church!

NancyB

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
797 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  14:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NancyB

. t amazes me that people would cross the sound to get to church!

NancyB

Boat was the primary means of travel, it has been said that the sea connected rather than separated.

Edited by - ToreL on 02/04/2020 18:43:07
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  17:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NancyB

Thank you to all who responded. The maps are very interesting. t amazes me that people would cross the sound to get to church!

NancyB

For centuries, people on the south side of the Sognefjord had to make the journey over to the north side to Kyrkjebø for worship and other ecclesiastical acts, like baptism, confirmation, marriage and burials.
In the late 1800s, the villagers began to raise money for their own church.
The church of Ortnevik was consecrated in 1925, and is located next to the Fitje farm. Rowing for several hours every Sunday was then replaced with a 1 minute walk...

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/04/2020 18:01:55
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, jwiborg, and what a beautiful photo of the Ortenik church. Thank you for sharing that and the history of the church. Since Johannes was born in 1821, I suppose his family would have gone to the church at Kyrkjebø, although they must have moved to Vik before his confirmation. That record lists Vigoren as his place of residence.

Would August 5, 1821 from the first record I referenced be a christening date rather than a birth date? I've seen some church records that show both dates in one record, but this one has only one date. It's not that important; I'm just curious.

Nancy

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  05:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My reading of this record is that the single date is the baptismal date. Also there is a note that the mother was reintroduced to the congregation the same day.

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/04/2020 17:45:14
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  17:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The title of the page reads "Börnebaab = Drenger", which translates to Baptism - Boys. Right page is Baptism - Girls,
So dates are baptism dates.
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  21:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you jkmarker and jwiborg for clarification on the date.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article