All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Simon's Family Tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  02:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Family in the 1920 Census

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01073776005616
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  04:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dylankylesimon

Hey Jackie! I apologize for being so late, my week has been crazy busy! I like the way you go about your research; a lot of information. However, while I am trying to follow the path, I must ask if you would agree that there are too many Ole's to possibly track down the right one, the grandfather to my Peter Evensen Simon from Marigaard?

Because it certainly looks to me that way, and I don't want to waste your time

No, I think its solvable.

But don't rely on the database you show on prior page with the DNA--it goes completely awry on the Ole Bjornsen and Marie Olsdatter couple and its hard to see where else wrong it may go because of that.

How big was your DNA in common with the people in the datagase?

And here is Ole Evensen Nymoen's dodsfallprotokol bottom of the page:
Lunder lensmannskontor, SAKO/A-619/H/Ha/L0001: Dødsanmeldelsesprotokoll, 1863-1922, s. 14-15
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk10081301045011

There is something unusual about this entry the mentioning of a date in 1860....Someone should look at it. And it was already posted prior explaining about the transfer of the farm to younger son Peder. Never mind me.

Edited by - jkmarler on 23/10/2022 05:50:17
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  05:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:
Originally posted by dylankylesimon

Hey Jackie! I apologize for being so late, my week has been crazy busy! I like the way you go about your research; a lot of information. However, while I am trying to follow the path, I must ask if you would agree that there are too many Ole's to possibly track down the right one, the grandfather to my Peter Evensen Simon from Marigaard?

Because it certainly looks to me that way, and I don't want to waste your time

No, I think its solvable.

But don't rely on the database you show on prior page with the DNA--it goes completely awry on the Ole Bjornsen and Marie Olsdatter couple and its hard to see where else wrong it may go because of that.

How big was your DNA in common with the people in the datagase?

And here is Ole Evensen Nymoen's dodsfallprotokol bottom of the page:
Lunder lensmannskontor, SAKO/A-619/H/Ha/L0001: Dødsanmeldelsesprotokoll, 1863-1922, s. 14-15
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk10081301045011

There is something unusual about this entry the mentioning of a date in 1860....Someone should look at it.

I did not match with them, my granduncle Simon did, 34 people (including 4 family members over here). I would in theory DNA match with them, but by the time it gets to me, there is no cM left. I have found 5th cousins before, but never 6th cousins, so I am not surprised.

Out of 30 people, the next highest are Eileen Iverson 72 cM, Sarah Long 50 cM and Charlotte Burtness at 47cM, but all of them have basically no trees, one has 11 people. But that one isn't even developed either.

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 23/10/2022 05:44:16
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  05:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burtness is probably a Halling family and I have access to a surname study that she is most likely in. I'll check it, otherwise there appears to be a Charlotte Burtness b about 1903 and a Doris Charlotte born about 1911,

Plus there is a relative attending named Charlotte Burtness mentioned in this obit:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-67F7-TL4?i=585&cc=2281907&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQVRM-LHFP

Edited by - jkmarler on 23/10/2022 06:45:43
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  06:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Burtness is probably a Halling family and I have access to a surname study that she is most likely in. I'll check it, otherwise there appears to be a Charlotte Burtness b about 1903 and a Doris Charlotte born about 1911,

Father listed as Orvald Burtness 1921 (His Father Oscar Burtness and Mother Tonetta), Mother as Dorothy Valgren 1921 (Father George Valgren and Mary). George Mother is listed as Margaret (Valgren)
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  06:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JOHN "JACK" WILLIAM BURTNESS Age 68, passed away on September 26, 2016 in Victorville, California. He was born on December 16, 1947 in Grand Forks, North Dakota to Orvald and Dorothy (Valgren) Burtness. Jack and his family moved to California where he graduated from Corona High School in 1967. After high school, Jack joined the Navy, serving on the Bennington and the Constellation during his two tours in Vietnam. He eventually went to work for Fleetwood Enterprises as a Production Engineer. He was on the road most of his career building manufactured housing plants across the U.S. retiring in 2008. Jack married Sandra in 1980 in Upland, California. They were happily married for 36 years. Jack was a lifetime member of the VFW and, in his retirement, enjoyed being a member of the Apple Valley Gun Club. Jack loved dune buggying at Glamis, going out on his boat, fishing, woodworking, and traveling all over the world with his wife. Jack is survived by his wife Sandra; daughter Jennifer Burtness; step-son Jeff (Teri) Dooley; sisters Linda Lemcke, Char (Mark) Morton, Janey (Tony) Gress, Mae Burtness; brothers Butch (Pam) Burtness, Brad (Brianne) Burtness; grandchildren Brandon (Mandy) Dooley, Jeremy Dooley, Alyssa Dooley; his numerous nieces and nephews and other relatives. He is also survived by his mother, Dorothy. A committal service with military honors, will be held at Riverside National Cemetery Monday, October 10th at 12:30 P.M. Staging Area 3.

Family tree at familysearch.org:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/2ZS7-74Q

Back in the 1500s in the tree is the "Gulsvik" connection: Clemet Jonsen Oppegaard who was in Norderhov, here is a quoted source for that:

"Where The Record Is Found (Citation)
Hallingslekter by Botolv Baklien page 171 #1806 and #1807

Describe The Record (Notes)
Hallingslekter page 171 #1806 and #1807 Jon Helgeson Gulsvik and Åse Pålsdatter

Jon Helgeson Gulsvik, Flå, død føre 22 August 1591. Jon åtte ½-delen av det opphavlege Gulsvik-godset, namleg det som i dag kallast nordre Gulsvik og Narumsgarden Gulsvik. Borna heldt eit “søskenskifte” etter Jon 8 January 1592. Det offisielle skiftet var 7 June 1593, det vart teke oppatt 10 May 1609. “John Gulswiig” bet. året 1560-61 8 skinn, 4 album og 1 sau i skatt av eigedomane sine. Jon var kyrkjeverje i Flå. Han var også lagrettemann. Jon åtte også garden Halkjennrud i Norderhov. Jon vart andre gongen gift med:

Åse Pålsdatter død ca 1595. Etternamnet er førebels ukjent. Segna seier at Åse var ætling av grev Clemet og frevinne Beju (Bella) på Devegge i Nes. Dermed skulle Åse også vore ætling av dei nordiske og britiske kongehusa gjennom MacLeod-klanen på Dunvegan i Skottland. Dette er ikkje prova. Rett nok døypte ho 2. Sonen Clemet, men Klemet-namnet finst også på fleire gardar på Modum denne tida. Etter at Jon døydde fekk Åse bet. bygningsskatt av Gulsvik i 1594. Åse er ofte nemnd i diploma frå Gulsvik på slutten av 1500-talet, m.a. hadde ho tvistesak med stedsonen Guttorm (anenr. 1546 framanfor) vedkomande åsætesretten til Oppegarden i Norderhov. Born til Jon og Åse:
a) Helge født ca 1570. Han kjøpte Buøen i Flå 1616. Stor etterslekt. Attåt Buøyne åtte han partar i Gulsvik, Gandrud og Kvie i Flå og i By i Sigdal. Helge var gift med Åse Øysteinsdatter Hilde, Flå, ho er også skreven Astrid.

b) Klemet (Clemet). Han kom til Oppegård i Norderhov, og har m.a. stor etterslekt i Oppheims-grenda i Torpo.

c) Birgit gift med Harald Øysteinson Hilde, Flå, død føre 1628. Dei åtte 1 pund og 4 settong i Helde, 1 såld i Sevre og 2 settong i Oppegård i Norderhov.

d) Barbro gift med lagrettemann Knut Knutson Trøstheim født Voll i Flå. 1624 åtte dei 6 settong i Trøstheim, Flå, og 1 ½ fjerding i Skuterud på Modum.

e) Ingrid født ca 1570, gift til Sata/Nos/Reinton. Sjå anenr. 903 og 1961 framanfor.

f) Sigrid gift med lagrettemann Olav Øysteinson Heie født Hilde i Flå. Dei åtte Heie frå ca 1607 og skatta av Heie endå i 1649. Sonen, lagrettemann Øystein Olavson skatta av Heie i 1661 og framover. 5 born er nemnde i 1691.

1st kona og 1st barnekullet til Jon Helgeson Gulsvik: Sjå anenr. 3093 bakanfor."
---

My own ancestor here is the daughter Ingrid. Is this too far back to make it into the DNA?

Edited by - jkmarler on 23/10/2022 13:58:22
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2022 :  16:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, With the Autosomal DNA Test from Ancestry, for sure not, but that's why I spend $500 on my Big Y-700 DNA test, in theory, as long as both DNA tests trace the male direct line, there should be a good match. However, my Ancestry Tree doesn't really trace well into Norway. While I matched through my 3rd great-grandmother Mathea Fredriksdatter Simon's brother and half-brother to people, I have yet to establish the same for Peter Evensen Simon.

That's essentially my goal. I am fairly certain, about 99%, that we tracked the right Peter Simon, in particular, because the DNA from my granduncle shows DNA from the Telemark-Buskerud Border, however, the issue is that while Peter appeared from this region, Fredrik's line also traces to that region. So with that DNA goes almost out of the window. It would probably be possible if there was an Even Olsen (Peter's Father) descendant who had a well-established tree, but I have not come across anything, that's why I am trying first to trace a descendant through Engebret Evensen or Christian Evensen, to at least confirm that we have the right Peter, or Even.

Imagine all along, we spend all this time, but the Peter that I have isn't even the right one. Then one error in my tree caused us to not find further descendant, because we been looking at it all wrong.

However, how would I even find them, if it appears that unless one of the descendants emigrated to the US, I would likely not find their records. I cant even find the death to Gunda Haralsdatter (Engebret's wife) or those of the children, because Norway appears to limit visibility beyond 1920, meaning 1920 to 2020 (100 years) inaccessible, unless I spend money like I am currently doing in Germany and here in the US, to trace ancestors down by gathering birth, marriage, and death certificates.

But without your, Torels or Anton's work, I would have never been able to trace even Mathea's descendants, so I am beyond grateful.

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 23/10/2022 16:32:02
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2022 :  10:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's called NPE, non paternal event. Is it 100% certain that Peter Simon is the actual father in biological fact, regardless of anything of the other controversies of who is Even Olsen, etc.
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2022 :  06:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I revisited Ole Evensen's Birth Entry in 1846

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHK-93PP-SJVR?cc=4237104&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A683K-F12T

For Even Olsen Tandberg Eie, if we did not notice yet, but

According to the author, it says Tandberg Eie: Qværnbergsundet! In to days language: Kvernbergsundet. Kvern = a mill. Berg = a hill. Sundet = a place where the river is narrow, and easy to pass over.

Perhaps with that information we can find out more, I was also suggested to write out all the Witnesses/Sponsors in the Baptism Entries. So I will get to that, but probably will need some help in reading the writing, if you all are up for it.
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2022 :  06:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are done with the Children. Maybe we can find Even Olsen now after all

For those who look after the Children in the future, here are the links and Quick Facts:

#1 Aase Mathea Hagaringen (born Evensdatter)
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6CH-CFH
Birth: 16 FEB 1837 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (Claimed Waagaard, but was likely on Alme Eie)
Death: 5 APR 1929 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (in Lostajet, also in Haugsbygd)

Hagaringen is a road in Haugsbygd, south of Marigaard, that's where the other two 90-year-old ladies lived too. Her children were born in Marigaard.

#2 Hans Evensen
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6CG-7NH
Birth: 28 JAN 1841 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (Likely Eikli Eie)
Death: 6 MAR 1902 in Norwegian Grove, Otter Tail, Minnesota, USA

He emigrated to the US, and Headstone has Marigaard on it.

#3 Randine Evensdatter
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6CK-L7X
Birth: 12 JUL 1843 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (On Tandbergseie)
Death: 05 OCT 1850 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (On Marigaardseie)

#4 Ole Evensen
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6HT-HKF
Birth: 16 SEP 1846 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (On Tandberg Eie: Qvornbergsundet)
Death: 30 AUG 1924 in Modum, Buskerud, Norway (Vikersund Ole Marigard Evensen in Death Entry)

#5 Petter Evensen Simon Hagastuen, Marigaardseie
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GX2L-RP2
Birth: 23 SEP 1849 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (On Marigaardseie)
Death: 30 MAY 1932 in Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota, USA

#6 Engebret Evensen Hagastuen, Marigaardseie
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6C4-J2F
Birth: 09 JUL 1852 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway
Death: 27 FEB 1909 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway

#7 Christian Evensen Marigaardseie
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M6CN-S4F
Birth: 30 JAN 1855 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway
Death: 24 FEB 1863 in Norderhov, Buskerud, Norway (On Marigaardseie)

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 06/11/2022 06:52:01
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2022 :  18:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the leaving the parish record for Peter Evenson in 1870 # 21 udflyttede column
Norderhov kirkebøker, SAKO/A-237/F/Fa/L0013: Parish register (official) no. 13, 1866-1874, p. 481
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051111040429
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2022 :  03:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is the leaving the parish record for Peter Evenson in 1870 # 21 udflyttede column
Norderhov kirkebøker, SAKO/A-237/F/Fa/L0013: Parish register (official) no. 13, 1866-1874, p. 481
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051111040429

Yes, I think you have found this one for me before. I am good on the research of all children, so you all don't need to look further into it Thank you!

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 07/11/2022 03:31:40
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2023 :  22:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disregard

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 21/01/2023 22:43:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article