All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 Locations
 Birthplace name Grinnims Prgj.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  01:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birthplace in 1865 census is listed as Grinnims Prgj. The page is for Evje, Aust-Agder. Is anyone familar with this place name

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  03:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I imagine that they refer to Grindheim (Grindum) parish in Bjelland district of Vest-Agder.

I must admit to being unfamiliar with the geography of Aust-Agder and Vest-Agder. So I referred to the rough maps of those two fylker available on the following website and I think those two areas are actually quite close to each other. perhaps even adjacent.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/NorMap1.html

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  07:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume it was Lars Larsen 56 years old you were looking at, Grindheim i Bjelland is in Vest-Agder and the baptismal record for Lars can be found in the column all the way to the right here

Einar
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  21:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  22:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone give me the farm name attached to Lars Sornensen found on page 242 of the marriage records for Bjelland Grindheim section 1796-1807. The record is second page left column date 1803, 13 April.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  23:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure someone else is looking that up while I type. Let me take a moment to teach you how to capture and share a working link to parish records found in the scanned collection of the Digitalarkivet website.

When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  23:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says "Øydne". One of the witnesses is also from Øydne.

That farm's entry in the 1801 Norwegian census -
Øydne Øvre

Edited by - Hopkins on 19/03/2008 23:35:29
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The farms are Butveit and Øvre Øydna Map

Lars Sørensen (35) 1801 census
Asbor Olsdatter (16) 1801 census

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  01:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information and the tips on how to better use the archives.

hasto, if you go two pages further on your reference you will see another Lars Sørensen (22) might he not be a better candidate based on his age.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  11:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That second Lars Sørensen (22 yrs old in 1801) does NOT live on one of the Øydne farms and the name of the groom's residence is as plain as day on the marriage record.
It's true that he could have moved in the intervening time between the census and the marriage BUT 22 years old would be an unsually young age for a Norwegian bride groom of that time period - VERY unusual. It is surprising enough that the bride is probably only about 18 yrs old - that is VERY VERY untypical in itself. Very few brides were married at that young age.

But you can use the parish records to look for more clues to sort it out between your two chosen possible Lars Sørensens. Who were witnesses to the marriage? Who stood as witnesses to the baptisms of their children? Do death records list age for that person? Something will probably give you another little clue to go on.
Also check and compare to any possible information listed in "Kultursoga for Bjelland og Grindheim", by Magnus Breilid, which appears to be a bygdebok written about the area.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  16:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars and Asbør moved in at Butveit after they got married and had their first child named Søren in 1804, he was baptized April 13, see right column on left hand page here
On Jan 4 1806 they baptized their second son, Ole. See right column on left hand page here
On jan 22 1809 they baptized the second Søren (the first Søren diedand was burried May 28 1807), see top of left column, left hand page here
On Sept 18 1811 they baptized Lars, see right column on right hand page here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/03/2008 17:38:45
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  20:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, this will give me a lot to work on for the next few weeks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article