Speciedaler (Spd.) was used as the main currency in Norway between 1816 and 1872. One Speciedaler could be divided in to 5 ort (mark) or in to 120 Skilling. The abbreviation for Speciedaler is Spd.
Between 1872 and 1874 the currency was changed from Speciedaler to Kroner. 1 Speciedaler was made equal to 4 Kroner. 1 Krone is divided into 100 øre. The abbreviation used for Kroner is Kr. or NOK.
In 1859 10 Spd. would be just about 11,9 USD
In 1866 10 Spd. would be just about 16,0 USD
In 1867 10 Spd. would be just about 11,8 USD
In 1868 10 Spd. would be just about 11,7 USD
In 1867 10 Spd. would be just about 11,6 USD
100 1867 Spd. is equivalent to 20138 - 1997 NOK which was about 2582 - 1997 USD.
Langesund - Havre: - 6 Spd. pr. person
Havre - New York: - 40 Francs or 7 Dollars, landing money included
Passage in on the Salvator:
Passage Norway to New York - adults: Spd. 20,00
Landing expeces $ 1,75
Transport from NY to inland $ 9,00
Food for 12 - 14 days $ 5,00
Telemark - New York:
- 20 Spd. for adults over the age of 14
- and for those under the age of 14 the half.
Telemark - Havre:
- 5 Spd. for adults
- the half for Children
New York to Wisconsin via Oswego:
- The fee from New York: 7½ Dollars for adults.
- Cago: 100Pd. free
- Children the half.
Langesund - Havre:
- 5 Spd. pr. person
Langesund - New York:
- 20 Speciedaler of which 2 was landing money
Christiania - New York:
- 22 Spd. pro persona (Bread included from the 10th day)
Stavanger - Quebec:
- 14 Spd. for adults, 10 Spd. for those under the age of 18
- 8 Spd. for those under the age of 12
- 6 Spd. for those between the age of 6 og 1
- Children under the age of 1 free (Stavangeren)
Christiania - Quebec:
- 13 Spd. for adults and children over the age of 12
- 9 Spd. for children between 6 and 12 years old
- 5 Spd. for for children between 1 and 6 years old
- Children under the age of 1 went free, exept for the usual landing fee.
Hamburg - New York:
- 150 Dollar 1st class
- 100 Dollar 2nd class
- 60 Dollar steerage (between deck)
Passengers traveling on Ship Dronning Victoria from Bergen to Montreal: The voyage across the Atlantic had a cost of 11 Speciedaler each person, and from Montreal to Madison 13 dollars.
Christiania - London:
- Adults £4
- Children under the age of 10 half price
General price estimation:
- Passage to America: 15 Dollars
- Food supplies: 15 Dollars
- Railroad from Quebec or New York to the best railroad station: 10 Dollars
- Inland voyage from railroad station to final destination: 10 Dollars
- All together: 50 Dollars
Trondhjem - Quebec:
- Adults 15 Spd.
- Children between the age of 1 and 9 years 11 Spd
- Children under the age of 1 went free
London - New York:
- Adults £ 6 or 27 Spd.
- children under the age of 12 years the half
London - Australia:
- Adults £17 or 76 Spd, 60 Skilling,
- Children under the age of 12 years the half
"Det amerikanske Emigrant-Kompani", agent O. Svenson (agent for the National Line) From Christiania to New York:
- Adults from the age of 12 years and up: 38 Spd
- Children between the age of 1 to 12 years: 19 Spd
- Children under 1: 2½
Christiania - Chicago
- Announced cost: 47½
Steamship to America from Christiania, agent Jens Meinich:
Christiania - Hull - Quebec: - 42 Spd. for adults
Christiania - Hull - Chicago: - 51 Spd. for adults
Christinia - Hamburg - New York: - 44 Spd. for adults
- Children under the age of 12 years half price
- Children under 1 only 5 Spd.
To Amerika, agent H. Heitmann:
S/S Oder and Scandinavian to Hull.
- Christiania to New York: Spd. 38
- Christiania to Chicago: Spd. 47
To Amerika, agent Blichfeldt, Knoph & Co:
- Christiania - Hamburg by steamship: 3 Spd.
- From Hamburg to New York by steamship: 35 Spd.
- From Hamburg to New York by sail: 24 Spd
America via Liverpool, agent J. W. Fett
- Direct to Quebec: 37 Spd, Incuded all meals from Hull
- Direct to New york 38 Spd, Incuded all meals from Hull
- Direct to Chricago 46 Spd, Incuded all meals from Hull
- Christiania - Hamburg, by sail from Hamburg all meals included to New York: 24 Spd. 80 skilling
- Christiania - Hamburg by steam to New York: 43 Spr 40 skilling
Christiania - Quebec on the bark Tanaro:
- 14 Speciedaler
Newspaper announcement for the conveyance of emigrants on the Norwegian emigrant ship Olaf in 1865:
- Adults 15 Spd.
- Children 1 - 14 years the half
- Infants free
- Landing fee 1 Spd.
- Provisions for the voyage could be purchased for 9 Spd. 31 Skilling for adults, and the half for children
- 5 Spd. each adult was to be paid in advance when ordering the ticket, the half for childern
1866 - 1870
In 1867 the price for the passage on a sailing ship from Norway to Quebec was about 15 Speciedaler for adults, children 8 - 14 years old 8 Spd. and children between 1 - 8 years old 5 Spd. The passengers had to bring their own food. In the same year the journey from Norway to Quebec via England by steamship was about 40 Spd., all meals included.
1867 Allan Line Steerage Trondheim - Quebec 40 Spd = 160,- Kroner
By steam 1878 - 1910
1878 Allan Line Trondheim - Quebec 175,69 Kroner
1900 Cunard Line Steerage Trondheim - Boston 166.- Kroner
1903 Cunard Line Steerage Trondheim - NY/Boston/Philadelphia 113,- Kroner
1903 Cunard Line 2nd class Trondheim - NY/Boston/Philadelphia 228,- Kroner
1910 Several Lines Norway to US and Canada