There were two ships in the Cunard Line fleet which was named "Ascania". The Ascania (1)
was built in 1911 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson in Newcastle, originally as the Gerona
for the Thompson Line
, but was taken over before completion by the Cunard Line as the Ascania. Her tonnage was 9,111 tons gross and 5,699 tons net. Her dimensions were 466 ft x 56 ft. There was accommodation for 200 1st class passengers and 1500 3rd class passengers. She was wrecked in 1918 off Cape Ray.