The Gothia was built by Raylton, Dixon & Co, Middlesborough in 1884 as the "Jacatra" for the Insulinde SS Co, Amsterdam. She was a 2,381 gross ton ship, length 314.5ft x beam38.1ft,
straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots.
There was accommodation for 20-1st and 550-3rd class passengers. She commenced sailing from
Stettin to Gothenburg and New York on Aug. 2, 1886 and made 15 round voyages on this service,
the last one commencing Jan. 1, 1889. On Feb. 26, 1891 she transferred to the Hamburg - New York service
and commenced her last voyage on this route on Apr. 7, 1892. She transferred to the Stettin -
Helsingborg - Gothenburg - Christiansand - New York route on July 23, 1892 until her last voyage with
this company started in July 1894 (7 round voyages). In 1898 she was sold to the Deutsche
Levant Line and renamed "Lipsos". In 1913 she went to Wm Eisenach of Stettin who renamed
her "Anna Strowig" and in 1914, went to other German owners and was named "Rudolf".
Ceded to France in 1919 as war reparations, she went to Lalande Lofebrie & Cie in 1922 and
was renamed "Maguyla". She was scrapped in 1923.