The S/S Norway, (ex. Braemar) was built 1868 at Barclay Curle & Co in Glasgow (over 3 months in 1869, some repairs in 1870). She was used by the Allan Line for Scandinavian feeder service, mainly on route between Trondheim - Christiansund, Aalesund, Bergen - Glasgow and Liverpool. In the period 1869 - 1872 she departed Trondheim with emigrants 51 times. She had a tonnage of 967 tons gross and 917 net. She had a single screw, engine with 2 cylinders delivering 120 horsepower, which gave her a speed of 10 knots. The machinery was certified in 1868 and built by the same company as the hull. She was an iron construction,
she had one deck and partial awning deck. She had 5 bulkheads cemented in 1868 and 3 masts. There was accommodation for 120 passengers. Owners: J. & A. Allan. Port of registry: Glasgow. Port of survey: Liverpool. Name of master given in the 1872-73 Lloyd's register of shipping, was Captain Maylass. Official registration #: 60382. On the journey April 21, S/S Norway, Capt. Mylins carried 402 Emigrants from Trondheim. 362 for Allan Line, 33 for Anchor Line, 4 for National Line, 2 for Guion Line and finally 1 for Inman Line. When the feeder service was withdrawn she was sold to Cork Steam Ship Co, and renamed "Hoopoe".
["Merchant Fleets in Profile", Duncan Haws 1979
ISBN 0 85059 352 2][1872-73 Lloyd's register of shipping][Emigration records, Trondhjem poilice]