The S/S Scotia (1) of the Cunard Line
Support Norway Heritage: Purchase a copy
was the last paddle wheel vessel built for the transatlantic trade before the superiority of the screw propulsion put an end to their further construction. At the time of her launch in 1861, she was admitted to be the strongest-built merchant steamer afloat. She was built in iron. Details: 3,871 tons gross, length 379 ft. between perps, 47.8 feet broad and 30.5 feet deep. Accommodation was provided for 300 passengers, and 1400 tons of cargo could be carried. On her trials, she is stated to have attained a speed of 16.5 knots.
Her paddle-wheels were 40 ft. diameter, with fixed radial floats 11.5 ft. wide, and were driven by side-lever engines
of 975 nominal h.p., constructed by Messrs. Robert Napier and Sons. These had two cylinders, 160 in. diam. by 12 ft. stroke, which indicated 4570 total horse power Steam at 25 lb. per sq. in. pressure was supplied by eight tubular boilers, containing in al 140 furnaces. The fuel consumption amounted to 165 tons per day.
The fastest Atlantic crossing of the "Scotia" was made from New York to Queenstown in 8 days 3 hours. She held the Blue Riband from 1862 to 1867, and remained on the North Atlantic service for 13 years. She represented the highest development in transatlantic paddle steamers, and together with her sister ship, the S/S Persia
she introduced the first real express service for passengers across the Atlantic.