All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Lost family from Norsewood New Zealand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  04:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for desendants from Oline and Fredrick mortensen who came to Norsewood on the Holvdig (not sure of spelling) in 1872 from Norway. They settled in Norsewood and were one of the first settlers there. I think they had many children who came out with them. i am a desendant of one of their sons who i am sure was the oldest Fritjof Mortensen. He left his family (children and wife) and ranaway to Australia where he changed his name to Morton to hide the fact that he had commited Adultry. i believe he died in Australia in about1930 something i am not sure.I am searching for all living desendants from him (his family he left behind in new zealand) and any other infromation about his ancestors and parents would be much apreachiated.

Edited by - Borge on 06/09/2003 14:03:33

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  09:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name of the ship is spelled Høvding
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  13:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou borge for the spelling, but do you know anything about my family?

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  14:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Natalie

thankyou borge for the spelling, but do you know anything about my family?

No, I'm afraid not. Your best chance might be with some of those others who are related to the Norsewood pioneers. I guess you just have to be a little patient and something might come up.
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  14:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thankyou, very much. do you know of any people on this site who are realated to the norsewood pioneers, do i have to look them up on the members index?

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  16:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Natalie

ok thankyou, very much. do you know of any people on this site who are realated to the norsewood pioneers, do i have to look them up on the members index?

The best thing is just to be patient and let them find you. There is no passenger list as I konw of for the Høvding, but the passengers can be found in the lists of emigrants made up by the Norwegian police. You will find Fredrik Mortensen and family leaving from Kristiania (now Oslo) registered there (just follow the link). Here is the Fredriksen family

I have to ask that all postings regarding the Mortensens on the Høvding in 1872 are kept to this tread from now on, this to make it possible to keep the structure on the board here. I will delete any other posts regarding the same topic posted elsewhere. Please read the Posting Guidelines

Edited by - Borge on 06/09/2003 16:20:53
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seams that the Norsewood pioneers were keeping in contect even after leaving Norsewood. Here are some pictures from Ingrid Semmingsen's book "Veien mot vest" p. 304:

Norwegin Norsewood pioneers at the 1922 gathering (50 yesrs after the arrival) - Picture in coutesy of Nordmansforbundet

This is a picture from the main road in Norsewood
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Natalie, Are you sure that Oline was Fredrick's 1st wife? On the Digitalarkivet there is a Fredrik Mortensen, wife Anne Marie and 5 children sailing on the Hovding Click Here
In the 1865 census they are living in Christiana (Oslo) with 6 children Click Here so Marthe Mathilde either stayed behind, died or possibly married and is sailing under a different name. Carl Fredrik/Fritjof could be your Fritjof. If you have any birth years, maybe you can confirm if this is your family. Also you should see if you can find a death record for Anne Marie or marriage for Fredrik and Oline
One of the children's birth record is on the LDS Click Here which lists Anne Marie's last name as Halvorsdatter
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou so so much Brining you have been so helpful i rang my granfather and it seems you are right oline was not his wife at all but his grandaughter (oops!) i have been trying to find information about the people you just found for ages!! yes that is my fritjof and i also just found out that fredriks real name is johan fredrick, which would explain why i cant find much on him! Thankyou for the pictures and your help to borge!

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

kay
New on board

New Zealand
3 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  02:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Natalie.
My Great Gran Father was Karl Frithjof Mortensen, who married Julia Adrian. on 3rd August 1878. at Norsewood. Karl was aged 20yrs, Julia 19yrs.
My Granmother Ruby was one of many.
So pleased to have caught up with some-one who knows of his departure.( naughty Boy).
Do you know where in Australia he died,as I would like to get his details.
Are you related to him personally, I would love more info,also do you know of any photos.
Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers Kay

kScott
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kay

My Great Great Grandfather was Fritjof Morton and I think it is the same as your Karl Fritjof Mortensen we believe he may have changed his name when he came to Australia, although we do not have any proof but there were records to prove this .

when Fritjof came to australia he married kathrine gavan, he had three boys who survived and a girl called ruby who died (bit of a coincidence, with your grandmothers name)

fritjof died in melbourne 1934, we do not have any photos that i am aware of but if you would like more information you can contact my grandfather Terry Morton at - mortons@melbpc.org.au

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

kay
New on board

New Zealand
3 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  23:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Nat.Thanks so much for your reply.It must be our man alright,we have been wondering for years where he got to.The stories were really wild and weird.How he went back to Norway and joined the German Army ?. He was also taken by a croc in Australia.? I have been doing our family history now for 2 yrs,and was determined to find Karl, among others.
I am heading over to Brisbane next week,to visit my daughter,and would be happy to pass on,copies of Mortensen family history,what I have will really interest you,thats if you don't already have it.
I will e-mail your gran-father,and hopfully be able to find out more.
You have alot of relations over here,they seemed to be a very productive lot. thanks again talk soon cheers kay

kScott
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2004 :  00:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kay
Yes those rumors are a bit wierd! There is also alot of family over here too, and all over Australia, you'll have to ask my grandfather who you can send thse things to, but they would be of great help to piecing all our family history togther.

I have only been doing this for a couple of years too, my grandfather was very exited when he heard about you and your realation to us. I have one question though- do you know about the family in Norway (is there any) and who was Karl Fritjofs parents?

Thanks heaps,
Natalie

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

kay
New on board

New Zealand
3 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2004 :  12:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Nat. Yes I do have Karl's parents names.
JOHAN FREDRICK MORTENSEN. BORN. 1825 NORWAY
DIED. 24/2/ 1886 N.Z.
ANNA MARIA MORTENSEN.(nee ALVERSEN)
BORN. 1821 NORWAY
DIED. 14/10/1893. N.Z.
THEY WERE MARRIED IN NORWAY.1849 ?

WHILE I WAS IN BRISBANE LAST WEEK I POSTED OFF SOME INFORMATION TO TERRY. HOPE HE RECIEVED IT. I THINK I POSTED OF THE ABOVE .
TALK TO YOU SOON
CHEERS KAY

kScott
Go to Top of Page

Natalie
Starting member

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  09:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kay
Yes my Grandfather got the information you sent, thanx.

how far can you trace the family back in Norway? This seems to be the re-ecurring promblem i have been facing, i can't go any further back than Fritjofs parents. I have all the records of them and thier children, but thats it. I t seems to be a bit complicated with their last names as i have many alternatives for Karl Fritjofs mothers last name; Halversen, Halversdatter, Alversen etc

However the good new is, you must be my about my half 3rd cousin or something, you are equivelent to my Father in the generations.

Nice to finally have found someone related to us, my grandfather was very happy.

Talk again soon,
Nat

NatMortensen
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2005 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Natalie.

I am the gGrandaughter of Hans Peter and Oline MORTENSEN.

I live about one hour's drive from Norsewood, and went there during the weekend to photograph some of the pioneer graves at Norsewood Cemetery, esp. those of my ancestors (ANDERSEN, Leonhard and Elizabeth (gGrandparents); MORTENSEN, Johann Fredrik and Anna Maria (ggGrandparents); MORTENSEN, Hans Peter and Oline (gGrandparents); FREDERIKSON, Johann Emmanuel and Helena).

My *LIVING* grandmother (98 yrs) is daughter of Hans and Oline MORTENSEN. She lived in Norsewood until a few years ago.

Our extended family has a huge amount of family tree information. I am hoping to put the Norsewood Cemetery records online with relevant family tree info.

My LIVING mother knows of Fritjof Mortensen (I spoke to her yesterday about this). Some of his Australian relatives came to Norsewood looking for information about him. Apparently he was guilty of bigamy - he did not divorse the wife he left in NZ, but remarried in Australia. (I'm not surprised he changed his name!) My mother knows of his family in NZ.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 26/01/2005 10:31:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article