All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 SS Oder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KelleyA
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2003 :  22:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am looking to get a copy of the manifest from the SS Oder which sailed from Christianna (?) and arrived in the USA on August 12, 1871.
How do I go about finding that manifest?

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  08:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no such manifests existing. The only source is the police emigration registers, they are not ship manifests but a register of all emigrants leaving certain ports, they were on different ships, so you will not always find all the passengers leaving on a specific ship listed together.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  18:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the indexes on this site, the Oder was a feeder ship that took emigrants to Hull or London and as Børge advised you, there are no manifests existing.
Where did you get the information that the Oder arrived in the U.S. on August 12, 1871? Where?
If you know the port where it arrived, it is just a matter of renting the microfilm from a local Family History Center.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  23:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
according to The Shipslist, there was several ships called the Oder:
  • Oder (build 1851), sailing Hamburg - New York for the Hamburg America Line (1851-1868).
  • Oder (build 1861), sailing between UK and Scandinavia for Thos Wilson, Sons & Co.
  • Oder (build 1873), sailing between Bremen and New York for North German Lloyd.
Which ship could it be...? None of these looks to be going to the US in 1871...

The Oder-ship sailing between Scandinavia and UK went to Hull, UK, where they took a corresponding train to Liverpool, and then to New York with the Wilson line steamer City of Antwerp (or "Baltimore","Brooklyn" "London" "Paris"...)

In 1869, the departure was from Christiania (ie. Oslo) every Friday at 5pm, arriving New York on Saturday, 14 days later.

Jan

Edited by - jwiborg on 24/10/2003 23:30:46
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  23:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we have several "Oders" in our ship database here on the NorwayHeritage site too. Actually we also have the complete sailing list for the S/S Oder of the Wilson Line departing from Christiania in 1871, and not only that, but also a list of connecting ships. So, if KelleyA provides some names to look for, we would most likely be able to guess what ship to look for, as we could find the name of the agent and company in the police registers. I see that the July 28 departure have confirmed connects to 1 ship arriving New York on August 13, and 2 ships arriving August 14.
Go to Top of Page

Scott Watkins
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2023 :  18:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating and excellent information!

A question I have (which Borge may have answered) is this: was there some kind of regular service from Copenhagen to Oslo (Christiania) in 1869-1870? A family I am researching has a police departure record from Copenhagen. Timing of departures from Oslo and a few days later from Liverpool suggests passage on the SS Oder, but I am having real trouble learning if there was some (or any) kind of ferry service from Copenhagen to Oslo. Would a police departure record from Copenhagen indicate that a passenger left from Copenhagen? I would assume so but please correct me!!!
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2023 :  02:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Watkins

Fascinating and excellent information!

A question I have (which Borge may have answered) is this: was there some kind of regular service from Copenhagen to Oslo (Christiania) in 1869-1870? A family I am researching has a police departure record from Copenhagen. Timing of departures from Oslo and a few days later from Liverpool suggests passage on the SS Oder, but I am having real trouble learning if there was some (or any) kind of ferry service from Copenhagen to Oslo. Would a police departure record from Copenhagen indicate that a passenger left from Copenhagen? I would assume so but please correct me!!!

Are you able to upload the document?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article