All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ABOUT THE WEB SITE
 News, Updates & Announcements
 FREE PASSAGE TO NORTH-AMERICA - 1902
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2005 :  08:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FREE PASSAGE TO NORTH-AMERICA - on the S/S Manchester Shipper in 1902 - As some may have noticed, we have opened a section for articles in Norwegian on the site. This article is currently published in Norwegian and English. It is the story about the near 500 Norwegian workers crossing on the Manchester Shipper to work for Francis Clergue's Algoma company in Ontario, Canada. They were offered free passage, and soon after the arrival most of the men had disappeared across the border to USA. We have transcribed the passenger list, and we are interested in knowing if the destiny of any of those listed: Passenger list 1902 - s/s Manchester Shipper

FRI REISE TIL NORDAMERIKA - med Manchester Shipper i 1902 - Mange tusen mennesker vitne til at et av de mest selsomme utvandrerfølger noen sinne forlot Kristiania, da ca 500 unge menn gikk ombord i dampskipet Manchester Shipper ved Vippetangen. Arbeidskarene skulle jobbe på Francis Clergues anlegg i Algoma, men ikke lenge etter ankomsten var de fleste forduftet. I mellomtiden hadde de vakt så mye oppsikt at det ble skrevet om dem i avisene både hjemme og på andre siden av havet. Kjenner du skjebnen til noen av de som er oppført på passasjerlisten? - se passasjerlisten

Børge Solem

Edited by - Borge on 28/03/2005 22:27:13

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2005 :  18:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't really read this article but the great map of Lake Superior and the ports is worth a look all by itself.
Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2005 :  23:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1902 several thousand people witnessed perhaps the most spectacular party of emigrants ever to leave Kristiania, when 509 young menboarded the steamship "Manchester Shipper" on Vippetangen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE PASSAGE TO NORTH AMERICA
"There was cheering and screaming as had never been heard before upon the departure of any emigrant ships"

The background of this occurence was a situation of growing social discontent among working people. The last years an economic depression had taken place in Norway, and work was hard to find. On the othe side of the Atlantic, however, times were good with an increasing demand for labour. These circumstances led to the increase of emigration, many were those who sought to better their living conditions. A ticket from Kristiania to New York cost a little more than 100 kroner, while an average year's pay for male servants in the town amounted to about 300 kroner, and in the rural areas to about 220 kroner. To raise enough money for the fare was hard enough for those who had work, but those less unfortunate were dependent on others to make the crossing.

GETTING 2000 MEN FOR ALGOMA COMMERCIAL RAILWAY
"Congressman Eddy, of Minnesota, is Very Busy Over in Norway Just Now"

In 1894 the American industrial investor "Frances Clergue", cast his eyes on investment opportunities in Sault Ste. Marie in Ontario, Canada. In 1898 rich iron resources were discovered in the Algoma area. The ore had to be transported from the mines, (Helen Mine) in Algoma, to the harbour in Sault Ste. Marie. With the aid of Canadian authorities, Clergue established the railway, "The Algoma Central Railway Company", between these two places 1899. The Algoma area stretches from Nipissing's western border to the eastern boundrary of Thunder Bay. Sault Ste. Marie is situated by the outlet of Lake Superior in Lake Huron. Through this district ran also Canadian Pacific Railways' main line, as well as the railway directly from that part of Sault Ste. Marie situated on the east shore of the lake (in USA) to St. Paul i Minnesota.

Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2005 :  23:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nina

An English version of the article is on the way, and in the precess of proofreading. I hope to be ready to post it on the site tomorrow or the day after.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

ivar47
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  02:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Borge

Arbeidskarene skulle jobbe på Francis Clergues anlegg i Algoma, men ikke lenge etter ankomsten var de fleste forduftet. I mellomtiden hadde de vakt så mye oppsikt at det ble skrevet om dem i avisene både hjemme og på andre siden av havet. Kjenner du skjebnen til noen av de som er oppført på passasjerlisten? - se passasjerlisten

Dette har jeg ikke visst noe om tidligere!
Min grandonkel Birger Peter Anthonius Hanssen, passasjer nr. 262, reiste 18 år gammel som "farmer/gardener", skjønt han hadde neppe praktisert noen av delene særlig mye, født og oppvokst i tjukkeste Kristiania som han var! Han kom til USA i 1902 iflg merknad i 1920-census. Han bosatte seg og giftet seg (1 sønn) i Minneapolis, Minnesota, der han også døde i 1964. På dødsattesten står det at han virket som "Painter and Decorator".

Ivar Hanssen

Glad i bøker? Se: www.BookCrossing.com

Edited by - ivar47 on 07/10/2005 03:27:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article