All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Gunderson ancestors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mngrandpanils
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2005 :  00:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find more information on my g.g.grandfather Gunder Niris. married to Maren Hansd. according to 1865 telling. My g.grandfather was his son Nils August who emigrated to MN in 1892, and settled in chokio, stevens county MN. Gunder was born in Saude Prgj. and Maren was born in Boe Prgj. Nils August was born in July 1859 in Skien. Looking for sibilings of Nils, and Gunder and any other information reguarding them. Nils married Hansina Marie Gunilda Hanson( born in chicago, IL in 1865 and moving to norway at the age of 9) in oct 1888 in skien. Any info on her mother Hanna Hanson would also be appreciated.

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2005 :  13:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here he is in the Emigrants from Kristiana Click Here traveling as Nils A. Gunders. which would have been the name he went by in Norway (patronym) The Hansons listed could be Hansine's relatives but that is speculation.
Here is Gunder Niris and family in the 1865 census Click Here I believe the Maren Nirisd. is really a sister in law since in the 1875 census she is listed as Maren Nirisen f Christensdatter the f means born. and she is listed as a widow. Again this is just speculation.
Click Here
You would need to rent the parish registers from the LDS to look up birth, marriage etc records to be sure.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

mngrandpanils
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2005 :  17:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any idea what happened to gunder, nils, hans and anne for the 1875 records? g.grandpa nils arrived in us in 1892. also any info on g.g.g.grandfather niri where he was from or anything?
Go to Top of Page

mngrandpanils
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2005 :  18:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what would the name of the parish be for them? Saude Prgj.? also what would the farm name be considered?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2005 :  00:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you have indicated - Gunder Niris. was born in Saude (now generally known as Sauherad, Telemark) so that would be which parish to look for record of his birth/baptism and some record of his parents' names, residence etc. His wife Maren Hansdtr? is listed as born in Bø, Telemark so look for the same type of records in that parish for her baptism with some recording of her parents names. The children were all listed as born in Skien - so their baptism/birth records should be in that parish.
The online databases for the 1875 census are not complete - so they are difficult to reply upon.

I recommend that you start by reading these helpful articles, they will teach you much about how to find and research the huge Norwegian collection of records available for the various areas -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

Gunder Niris. is listed as 41 yrs old in the 1865 census - therefore born about 1824 in Saude/Sauherad, Telemark. You'd expect his father to be named Niri something. The 1801 Norwegian census lists at least 6 different Niris in Saude (then spelled as Seude) of ages from 2-25 - there is no information currently available which can help identify which, if any, was later Gunder's father. The time gap is too great. Farm name? I didn't notice one mentioned or referred to any of the information so far - impossible to just guess. Check the baptism/birth record - that should tell you.
As Carla mentioned earlier and I'll quote - "You would need to rent the parish registers from the LDS to look up birth, marriage etc records to be sure."
Go to Top of Page

mngrandpanils
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2005 :  17:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You All!
I've been going strong for the last 7 months including visiting Nils gravesite, and homestead. The house Nils and My Aunt built is still standing in Stevens County, MN!!
Anyone with any other information please reply within.
Once again, Thank You All!!!
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2005 :  17:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some clue's for you to check out on Maren, who was born in Bøe according to the 1865 census. It would be very helpful to check farm names in a Bøe Bygdebok, to see if they have any data on the families, to confirm if this would be your Maren. On the LDS films you could check the Utflyttede lists to see when she left Bøe and if she left with her famly.

I checked for a Maren Hansdatter born in Bøe around 1826 and the only one I found was born in 1832.
Birth
1832 Oct 2 Maren Anne to Hans Halvorsen and Signe Olsdatter Hvalen Lunde

Marriage of Maren's parents:
1830 July 8 Hans Halvorsen Kassene 22 & SIgne Olsdatter Kjelnes 21

they had 3 other children -
Helge - 3 Oct 1830, Ingebor - 17 Sept 1834 and Halvor - 13 Jan 1837 -
no farm name given for Helge, the other 2 were also born at Hvalen
Check the LDS - IGI listing and you will find a member has this family listed. Maybe you could find out who posted the data. There is also film data listed, at least for Maren at LDS.

Possible birth of Hans Halvorsen (father of Maren)
1808 Feb 27 Hans to Halvor Hansen Hvalen & Helge Kittilsdatter
Marriage of Halvor & Helge
1797 Oct 3 Halvor Hansen Hvalen & enke Helge Kittelsdatter Lovdal

Bøe - Lunde - Hvalen farm - Halvor & Helge (Mari & Torgrim are from her first marriage)
Click here: 1801-telling for 0821 Bøe
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f10821&gardpostnr=139&merk=139#ovre

Possible birth of Signe (mother of Maren)
1809 Dec 9 Signe to Ole Kieldal Hvidesoe ---
Marriage of Ole
1807 Mar 16 Ole Olsen Kieldal & Maren Anne Svenungsdatter Werpe

Bøe - Lunde Wærpe (family of Maren Anne Werpe)
Click here: 1801-telling for 0821 Bøe
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f10821&gardpostnr=159&merk=159#ovre

Possibly - Ole Olsen at Kieldal in 0829 Hvidesøe in Telemark
Click here: 1801-telling for 0829 Hvidesøe
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f10829.wc2&gardpostnr=55&merk=55#ovre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article