All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Ole Jonsen, Vale in Telemark
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  15:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norsk: (Norwegian)
Her er et sammendrag av alle opplysningene jeg har fått, takk for all informasjon! hvis noen finner fakta feil eller skrive feil, kan dere si ifra så teksten blir så korrekt som mulig:

Ole Jonsen Ble født 20. februar i 1784 på Vale.
Hans far var Jon Olsen og hans mor var Marja Bjørnsdtr. Fjelldal.
Han ble gift i 3. september 1807 med Anne Andersdtr. I Holla kirke.
De hadde barna Anders(Andrew Johnson) Anne Andrea og John Olsen
De utvandret til Amerika i mai 1844. da var Ole 60 år, og hans kone 58 år.

Deres ene sønn John(25) og datteren Anne Torine (27) hadde dratt året før på skipet ”Salvator”.
Resten av familien reiste med skipet ”Salvator” fra Porsgrunn 2. mai 1844. På skipet var det 150 passasjerer. Skipets kaptein var Johan Gasmann. De ankom New York City 5. juli 1844. da hadde de vært om bord i 65 dager.
De bosatte seg i bydelen ”Sugar Creek” det ligger i Walworth County i nærheten av byen Whitewater (ca 10 mil nordvest for Chicago), i staten Wisconsin.
Hans sønn, Jon Olsen Wale deltok i den amerikanske borgerkrig.
Ole Jonsen døde mellom 1860 og 1870.

English
Here is a summary of all the information i have got. Thanks for all the information!
If someone finds a mistake in the information or in the gramar, please say it, so I can correct it.

Ole Jonsen was born on the 20 February 1784 at Vale.
His father was Jon Olsen and his mother was Marja Bjørnsdtr. Fjelldal.
He was married on 3 September 1807 with Anne Andersdtr. I Holla church.
Their children were Anders, Anne, Andrea and Jon Olsen.
They emigrated to America in May 1844 Ole was 60 years then, and his wife was 58 years old.
One of their sons John (25)and their daughter Anne Torine (27)had traveled the year before on the ship “Salvator”.
The rest of the family traveled with the ship “Salvator” from Porsgrunn the 2 of May 1844. There were 150 passengers aboard the ship.
The captain of the ship was Johan Gasmann. They arrived in New York City on July 5, 1844. They had been at sea for 65 days.
They settled in the township “Sugar Creek”, It is in Walworth Country near of the town Whitewater (ca 100 kilometers northwest from Chicago) In the state Wisconsin.
His son, Jon Olsen Wale, was in The American Civil war.
Ole Jonsen Died between 1860 and 1870.

Edited by - Daniel F on 09/01/2006 13:17:41
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2005 :  23:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the summary is 100% corect, since no one has replied?
Go to Top of Page

skbristol

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2005 :  02:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of information or questions, but I'll clean up the grammar a bit:

Ole Jonsen was born February 20, 1784, at Vale. [Is this a farm? If it is a city or area, say "in Vale."]
His father was Jon Olsen and his mother was Marja Bjørnsdtr. Fjelldal.
He was married on September 3, 1807, to Anne Andersdtr. at Holla church.
Their children were Anders, Anne, Andrea and Jon Olsen.
They emigrated to America in May 1844. Ole was 60 years old then, and his wife was 58.
Their son John (25) and their daughter Anne Torine (27) traveled the year before on the ship “Salvator.”
The rest of the family traveled with the ship “Salvator” from Porsgrunn on May 2, 1844. There were 150 passengers aboard the ship.
The captain of the ship was Johan Gasmann. They arrived in New York City on July 5, 1844. They had been at sea for 65 days.
They settled in the township of Sugar Creek in Walworth County, Wisconsin, near of the town of Whitewater (about 100 kilometers northwest from Chicago).
Ole's son, Jon Olsen Wale, was in the American Civil War *** with Elf Point, South Dakota, from 1869. *** [Not sure what this means. The Civil War was from 1861-65. Did he live at Elf Point after the war?]
Ole Jonsen died between 1860 and 1870.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2005 :  05:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi The Vesterheim Museum's Norwegians in the Civil War database has two entries on the son Jon Olson Vale Click Here and Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanto figure more about his son. here is al i know so far:

Norsk:
John Olsen.Bosted: Sugar Creek, Walworth County, Wisconsin.
Født “John Olsen Vale” 6 mai 1818 på holla i Telemark. Sønn av Ole Johnsen Vale og Anne Olsdatter Brenne.
Han kom til Amerika på skipet “Salvator” som dro fra Porsgrun i Mai og ankom New York i Juli 1843.
Han kom til landsbyen ”Sugar creek”, Walworth County.
Han ble gift 13 April 1846 med Anne Olsdatter Grønstein (1824-1911).
De fikk åtte barn. Han hadde lyst hår, blå øyne og en lys hudfarge.
Han deltok i borger krigen i når han var 44 år. Der var han kapelan.
Etter krigen flyttet han og hans kone og døttere til en gård i Union County, South Dakota
Han døde 6. juli 1890 i en alder av 72.

English:
John Olsen.
Residence: Sugar Creek, Walworth County, Wisconsin.
Born as “John Olsen Vale” 6th of may 1818 at Holla area in Telemark. Son of Ole Johnsen and Anne Olsdatter Brenne.
He came to America on the ship “Salvator” which leaved Porsgrunn in May and arrived New York in July 1843.
He came to the township “Sugar Creek”, Walworth County.
He was married on the 13th of April with Anne Olsdatter Grønstein (1824-1911).
They got eight kids. He had Blue eyes, light hair and fair complexion.
He served in the civil war as Chaplain.
After the war he and his wife and his daugthers moved to a farm in Union County, South Dakota.
He died 6 July 1890 72 years old.

is this corect, and does someone know some more about him?

Edited by - Daniel F on 10/03/2006 13:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  21:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you have gotten more information from prior postings than this especially from Brining's 12-20-05 posting with two links to Vesterheim bios. He died in 1890.

What exactly do you want to know? Are you trying to find descendants?
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2006 :  13:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I write a scool project about ole jonsen and his family. and wantoknow everything about them.

Edited by - Daniel F on 13/01/2006 13:25:28
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2006 :  00:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there any information about what a chaplain did under the civil war?
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2006 :  04:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This website should give you some information about Chaplains in the Civil War Click Here

Carla
Go to Top of Page

V Rold
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2006 :  05:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gggrandfather, Ole Kittilson, emigrated with Ole Jonsen on the Salvator, and married Ole's daughter, Andrea, in Sugar Creek, Wisconsin. They had nine children, including my ggrandfather, John. Some history of Sugar Creek can be found at http://www.slekt.org/utvandring/sugar_creek.html
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  13:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brining

This website should give you some information about Chaplains in the Civil War Click Here

Carla

Your hyperlink dosent work
Go to Top of Page

clawhammerer
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2006 :  05:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been looking for more information about this Anders Wale. From the information I've got from family sources it matches up with what's been posted here. Any direction/information would be appreciated.

josh

quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

In the information from Norway known as "Emigrant kartotek Telemark frem til År 1900" the family leaving is listed as:
Ole Johnsen Wale (60), wife Anne Andersdatter (58), children - Anders (15/12/1822), Anne (15/12/1822), Andrea (3/11/1820) and the family is listed as from Holla leaving Telemark in 1844.

....That census also indicates an Andrew Johnson who might be Ole's son 'Anders' (one of the twins listed below). This Andrew Johnson lived in Richmond township of Walworth County, is listed as 38 yrs old and born in Norway.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2006 :  13:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua - What do you mean by more information? What exactly is it that you need to find?
The discussion thread here included a great deal of information about his parents, siblings, parish of origin from Telemark, emigration and later place of residence in the US.
If you are just looking for 'how-to' instruction to continue research on the earlier family tree information you might start with this website collection -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article