All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Ole Jonsen, Vale in Telemark
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  12:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I wan to know all about this man:

Ole Jonsen, Vale in Telemark. He was born in 1784. He was married in 1807, with Anne Maria Jensdtr. Brenne .

He moved to America in 1843.

I wan to know witch ship he was on. Where in America he moved to? When he died? And all other facts you can find

Does anyone have something?

Edited by - Daniel F on 04/12/2005 01:10:34

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  14:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did he come from Holla area of Telemark? Farm Vale spelled as Hvale in the 1801 census.

He appears in the 1850 US census in Walworth County, Wisconsin (Sugar Creek township).
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=US1850&gardpostnr=9251&sokefelt=skjul

His wife does NOT match what you have proposed - but notice the mention of Brenne in the notation for her line of the 1850 census database.

In the information from Norway known as "Emigrant kartotek Telemark frem til År 1900" the family leaving is listed as:
Ole Johnsen Wale (60), wife Anne Andersdatter (58), children - Anders (15/12/1822), Anne (15/12/1822), Andrea (3/11/1820) and the family is listed as from Holla leaving Telemark in 1844.

I believe he is still living at the time of the 1860 US census in Sugar Creek. He is listed as 76 yrs old in that census, appears to be a widower. That census also indicates an Andrew Johnson who might be Ole's son 'Anders' (one of the twins listed below). This Andrew Johnson lived in Richmond township of Walworth County, is listed as 38 yrs old and born in Norway.
I don't see Ole listed in the 1870 US census in Walworth County so perhaps he died between 1860 and 1870.

There is a story by another early Telemark emigrant who settled in Walworth County, Wisconsin which has been put online and MIGHT help track the general route the family may have travelled.
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/textindices/N/NOR-OPPLAND+2004+10642269595+F

Walworth County appears to have a fairly active website on Rootsweb -
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wiwalwor/
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  20:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here they are on Norway Heritage, emigrating on May 2, 1844 from Porsgrunn on the bark Salvator, arriving New York city on May 5, 1844, starting with #46.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=1639

No formal immigration processing at that time, a medical check aboard ship, turn in a customs declaration and they would be on their way. The only route to the midwest at that time would have been a boat up the Hudson River to Albany to board a canal boat on the Erie Canal, a trip of 6-10 days. It would have taken them at least 2 weeks to get to Milwaukee.

Couldn't have found them without Hopkins "Wale" info.
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  01:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies!

Yes he was from Holla area of Telemark

I diddent know that Vale spelled as Hvale, thankyou for the corection, i did learn something new!
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  12:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have found a image of the ship :http://www.slekt.org/utvandring/salvator.html

Is there any info and images from Wisconsin (Sugar Creek township). from that time?

Edited by - Daniel F on 04/12/2005 23:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  17:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the list Hopkins posted:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=US1850&gardpostnr=9251&sokefelt=skjul

In that list hes name is Ola and his name was Ole.
has he changed name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and

The "wife problem" with

Anne Maria Jensdtr. Brenne

and

Anne Andersdatter

can it be posible that first he had Anne Maria Jensdtr. Brenne and then she died and then he married Anne Andersdatter.
Is this posible to find out if this is true or false.

Edited by - Daniel F on 05/12/2005 17:27:36
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  05:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I don't think he changed his name to Ola. The passenger lists can be hard to read so it could be that his name looked like Ola.

Anne Andersdatter could be his 2nd wife or who ever added the notes to the census could have had the wrong name. Could her father's name have been Jens Andersen and who ever made the note assumed Andersdatter to be her last name.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Langkås
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good research here by those replying to Daniel. Actually Ole only married once, and that was to Anne Andersdtr. They were married on 3 Sept. 1807 in Holla. The parish record reads "Uk. Ole Jonsson Vahle, E. Anne Andersd. Brenne.
Caut: Sivert Brenne, Halvor Vahle." As you can see from this record, Anne was married before, (E. = enke, or widow) Anne married Ole Larsen Brenne on 16 Oct. 1806 in Holla. Anne is the daughter of Anders Andersen and Aaste Kittilsdtr. living on the farm Lunde nedre in Holla.

I have a fair amount of information on Ole if you wish to reply to me directly. My e-mail is langkaas_brian@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wale, Ole Johnson, udv. fra Holden Pr. Nedre Telemarken, i 40-Aarene til Whitewater, Wis. Sønnen John Olsen Wale, deltog i Borgerkrigen; gardbr. ved Elf Point, S. Dak., fra 1869. Dennes datter, Mrs. Edward Tollefson, Skolesuperintendent for Union Co., S. Dak., er den første kvinde i Countiet, som har indehavt County-Embede.

Wale, Ole Johnson emigrated from lower Telemark in the 40th for Whitewater, Wis. His son John Olsen Wale participated in the civil war; farmer at Elf Point, S. Dak., from 1869. His daughter Mrs. Edward Tollefson, School(Superintendent) for Union Co., S. Dak., is the first woman to have an office for the County.

Ref. Nordmænd i Amerika – 2den del, p991

Trond Austheim

Edited by - Trond on 08/12/2005 12:13:31
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  21:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that his son John Olsen Wale traveled to Ameica one year beafore the rest of the family.

Was it normal to send one family member beafore the whole family traveled?

where can i find more information about civil war; farmer at Elf Point, S. Dak., from 1869?

Edited by - Daniel F on 10/12/2005 17:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  17:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was very common for family members to immigrate at different times.

Vesterheim has a Norwegian civil war database:

http://vesterheim.org/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since they were originally from Wisconsin, he may have served in the in the 15th Wisconsin regiment

http://www.15thwisconsin.net/

There is alot of good information on this site.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 10/12/2005 18:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Langkås
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  21:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole and Anne followed a son, Jon, and a daughter, Anne Torine who had located in Sugarcreek Twp., Walworth Co. the year before. See below:

Son Jon/John Olson Vale was born on the Vale farm in Holla, Prastegjeld, Nedre (lower) Telemark, Norway on May 12, 1818. He immigrated on the "Salvator" with Johan Gasmann as captian. The ship left Porsgrunn on 13 May 1843 and arrived on July 13 in New York. Listed as John Olsen, 25 years old, farmer, 1 chest luggage. He was travelling with his sister Anne Torine, recorded in the ships manifest as Anne Olsen, 27 years old, with 1 chest luggage. (Source: NARA Roll # 57 list 547)

Also you can find more about Ole and his family at:

John A. Johnson - An Uncommon American" by Agnes M. Larson and published by the Norwegian-American Historical Association (NAHA) in 1969.

Norwegian Immigrants to the U.S.- A Biographical Directory volume 2, p. 21

I can send you the information if you wish.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  22:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a transcript of the passenger list, bark Salvator, 1843. They are lsted as # 131 and 132, below Harald Olsen (Brenne)

Børge Solem

Edited by - Borge on 10/12/2005 22:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Daniel F
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  23:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Langkås
I can send you the information if you wish.

i would like that! send it to bir-fah@online.no
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  01:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of NAHA publications are online:

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/

Congratulations, Børge, on your 1000th Posting!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article