All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Steamship Atlantic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2002 :  19:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent site. The detailed information on the Atlantic is the best I have seen on the internet. My ggg-grandfather, a German, survived the sinking of the Atlantic. His parents were abroad; however, we have not been able identify them. As there is a partial Norwegian passenger list, I was wondering if anyone was aware of a German list anywhere--or where to look. Thanks for your help.

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2002 :  19:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Randy

The list of Norwegian (Scandinavian) passengers were printed in the contemporary Norwegian newspapers, and there might be something similar in the German papers. Do you have any additional information about the sinking and passengers aboard?

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Randy
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2002 :  23:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Børge,

Thanks for your reply. I had not considered checking German papers. I can tell you that two brothers, Adam and Peter Faber, survived the sinking by hanging onto a flagpole until help arrived. Their parents were lost. They all came from the Hesse Cassel region. Beyond that, I do not have any details.

Randy

Edited by - Randy
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2002 :  09:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Randy

We would be very interested in any new information you might come across. It must have been a terrible experience for your ggg-grandfather and his brother to loose their parents like that. I can just imagine the two boys hanging in the flagpole, it must have been a terrifying experience.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Hank
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  03:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have information on passenger Hans Torgersen Bjørndalen, who is listed as a survivor of the "Atlantic". I believe he is Hans Torgersen, born 22 Dec 1846 at Bjørndalen, Heggen (bap. 21 Feb 1847 at Heggen)and is identical with the Hans Torgersen Bjørndalen, from Modum, who emigrated to America, 1873 age 26 (dest. Eau Claire, WI)from the Kristiania departures list. Any information?
Hank (hankberg@yahoo.com)

Go to Top of Page

markhill
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  16:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a trunk made of wood that was acquired in the Pictou area. It slides open as a drawer rather than the top lifting like most trunks. On the end of the trunk is the remains of shipping tags of White Star Line and on the front is a brass name plate with the inscription "S. Keightley S.S.A.".
This trukhas nice dovetail work in the drawer corners as well as the box corners. The back of the trunk is screwed on with hand-turned screws.
Can anyone identify this box or S. Keightley?

mbhill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article