All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Thingvalla Passenger List 1894 from Kristinaia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  02:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping someone might have access to this passenger list. My great great aunt arrived in New York (Ellis Island) on 9/22/1894 on the ship Thingvalla departing from Kristinaia on 9/6/1894. Her name was Inga Bertelsen (born 1876). I am trying to track down my Norway roots and so far this is the only lead I have.

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  05:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here she is on the Emigrants from Oslo Click Here She is from Greaker which I believe is in Østfold.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  16:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carla. That was a big help! I found Greaker on a map. Now hopefully I can somehow track down her parents
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  17:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.

If you check this site :
http://www.historielag.org/html/Ikkemedlemmer.htm

(it is in Norwegian!)

you will find the mailadress to
"Tune Historielag" ("Tune Historical society")

down at the bottom of the page.
The adress contains norweigan letters, and I am not sure if you get these, when you log on, but if you do get the adress ( I will not copy it here, as I do not know if they want this) write them!

Maybe they can help you further in finding your Inga Berthelsen?
Greaker, which now is in Sarpsborg Kommune, was originally several large farms in what was known as "Tune".

As your Inga states that her homplace is Greaker, this could be a starting point. But remember also that she could also just have moved there before emigrating to the US.

There is also a site where you can post questions as topics:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=debattforuma-eng.htm&spraak=e

Use the "User's forum".

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  18:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This organization may be able to help you tho they haven't updated their website since 2002:

http://ostfoldlag.home.att.net/
Go to Top of Page

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  16:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting information and really helpful. The link Carla provided me allowed me to find (I think) my great grandmother Jensine Bertelsen leaving Norway on 9/11/1897. She listed her last residence as Thune (=Tune) and said she was going to Sioux Falls, SD, USA (same as Inga). Jensine listed her age as 17 meaning she was born in 1881, but I have information on her saying that she was born in 1883. Maybe she fudged her age a little so that she could travel alone????

Now that Berta, told me that Greaker and Tune are about the same place as the current Sarpsborg Kommune, this really allows me to link the two together.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now I guess I will try to find chruch records from the area in order to find their parents names??? I know that they said they left Norway bc they didnt like their Stepmother.
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  18:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jodi!
I got your e-mail.

I am sorry, but I have no other online resources than the two I first gave you. The forum is frequently used, and maybe someone can help you there?

here is a link to another forum:
http://www.disnorge.no/slektsforum/index.php?language=engelsk

With here, under "Sarpsborg" you can post topics. You mus register yourself here.

http://www.disnorge.no/slektsforum/viewforum.php?f=105
Try it out! You'll never know!

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  19:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sarpsborg church records are available on microfilm at a local Family History Center:

click here
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember Jodi that Tune was a separate parish a long time, and that you might wanna look in the parish of Tune, not Sarpsborg for this period of time.

Here is a link to parish records for Oestfold:
http://www.riksarkivet.no/arkivverket/kilder/medier/mikrofilm/mikrokort/kb-ostfold.html

(in norwegian).

If you click "Tune" you will see the time-period of which the Nattional Archives have parishrecords from Tune.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if these girls are born in Greåker/Tune...

The following christening records for Tune and Sarpsborg are available at LDS, and there is no trace of any Inga Bertilsen there:
Sarpsborg 1869 - 1877 426212-c-igi
Tune 1874 - 1887 426228-c-igi

These 3 girls are the only ones with a father named Bertil, christened in Tune (1874-1887) and Sarpsborg (1869-1877):

Anne Emilie Mathilde
Christening: 26 DEC 1878 Tune, Ostfold, Norway
Parents: Bertel Edvin Andersen & Leone Mathilde Jansdr

Hulda Marie
Christening: 31 JUL 1870 Sarpsborg, Ostfold, Norway
Parents: Bertil Olsen & Juliane Marie Johannesen

Josefine Emilie
Christening: 04 AUG 1872 Sarpsborg, Ostfold, Norway
Parents: Bertil Olsen & Juliane Marie Johansen

Hmmm... ?

Btw; Although Bertil was used in Norway also, it is mostly a swedish name, and Østfold county was heavily populated with swedish immigrants in the late 1800's.. have you heard anything related to Sweden about your family?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 08/03/2006 10:16:40
Go to Top of Page

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  15:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody is being such a good help! Thanks.

I do know they were born in Norway. In fact, when my grandparents were alive, they made a trip to Norway and were able to find a cousin (Jensine and Inga's sisters child). Of course, they didnt keep her address nor did they bother to write their names down anywhere. I believe, according to the picture ablum, they were near Olso Norway.

I did however see that Bertelsen was a name widely used in Sweden. Maybe my great grandmother's parents or grandparents came over from Sweden.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jensine Bertilsen from Tune arrives Ellis Island with the ship Hekla on Nov 24, 1897.

Note: She is registered as Jensine Berkilsen

Can anybody read her destination? It looks like Mrs Gunda Freberg, Sioux Falls, Dakota.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  17:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Elllis Island Immigration Center had a fire on June 15, 1897 and was closed for reconstruction for over three years. She would have been processed for immigration at the Barge Office in New York Harbor.

click here
Go to Top of Page

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  18:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 US census, I did find a Sophie Bertelsen living with a Diver family as a servant. On one family record I have, Jensine lists her middle intial as S. So I think this may be her.

I blew up that Ellis Island entry (Thanks for finding that!!! I hadnt been able to run across her coming to the US yet). I looked like maybe the last name was Heberg to me. But who knows. I wasnt able to find anything in the 1900 census though.
Go to Top of Page

JodiDew
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  19:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this family still living in Tune in 1900. If he was born in 1851, he could have been the father of Inga (born 1876) and Jensine (born 1883). Any thoughts??

1900 census from Tune Norway
Givenname, Lastname, Sex, Resident, Family pos., Marital status, Occupation, Year of birth, Birth place, Nationality, Religion, Remarks
Jens Bertels. m b hf g Arbeider i Lændse 1851 t n s Bryggerhusbygningen
Emilie Bertels. k b hm g Arbeiderkone 1846 Hvaler Sm n s
Antonie Bertels. k b d ug Datter 1887 t n s
Nathalie Bertels. k b d ug Datter 1889 t n s
Go to Top of Page

Lisbeth
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  02:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JodiDew

I was hoping someone might have access to this passenger list. My great great aunt arrived in New York (Ellis Island) on 9/22/1894 on the ship Thingvalla departing from Kristinaia on 9/6/1894. Her name was Inga Bertelsen (born 1876). I am trying to track down my Norway roots and so far this is the only lead I have.

Lisbeth Edwards
Canada
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article