All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 linking MARTIN G. NORUM to MARTINUS NORUM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haggar35
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2006 :  19:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am attempting to establish the link between my Grandfather in the USA and his Parents and Family in Norway.

I have linked my GrFather MARTIN GEORGE NORUM to MARTINUS NORUM and his wife GRETHE thru information at this site.

When I try to locate background on them in the Digitalarkivet lists for Census, Parish Registers, Emigrant Rosters, ect. for years earlier than1900, I can not find any possible matches. I have tried to match possible birth dates, Christenings, marriages, Census listings, etc.. I have screened the listings for Nord Trøndelag, Vest Agder, Møre og Romsdal, Levanger, Flekkefjord, Veblungsnes, Grytten, also Alesund, but have had no luck.

It appears Martinus and Grethe are my GrGrand Parents and Peter-Pauline and OleNorum Sættenes are their children.

MARTINUS = Levanger Nord Trøndelag
GRETHE = Flekkefjord, Vest Agder
PAULINE = Flekkefjord, Vest Agder
OLE = Veblungsnes, Grytten, Møre og Romsdal

I have read and re-read the users information, I'm still missing something - can anyone help?

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  02:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3034

You may have exhausted the available online databases with your current available information. The church records for all your places and other information is available on microfilm rental at a local Family History Center.

www.familysearch.org, go into catalog and do a place search, just the name of the parish, View film notes and you can find the number of the applicable microfilms.
Go to Top of Page

haggar35
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2007 :  22:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that Martinus Norum and Grethe ?? are the parents of Pauline-yob: 1876 and Ole-yob: 1887, and possibly Peder -yob:1883, but no matter where I look in the Digitalarkivet - Tellings for 1900-1875&1865 for Grytten, Levanger and Flekkefjord I can not make a connection between them and MARTIN.

Also how would be my next step to identifying GRETHE's Family and Surname. What am I missibg ???

Gene Norum <haggar35@hotmail.com>
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  01:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, no link to your Martin G. Norum yet, but here is some more information about his [most likely] family....

These children looks to belong to Martinus and Grethe Norum's family:

1) Pauline Norum b.1876 - Flekkefjord, V-A, married to Nils Seternes, children twins Nils & Martin b.. 1899
2) Martin G. Norum b.1880 - Veblungsnes, Grytten, M&R
3) Peter Norum b.1883 - Veblungsnes, Grytten, M&R
4) Ole Norum b.1887 - Veblungsnes, Grytten, M&R

-------------

Pauline Margrete Norum
Christening: 06 AUG 1876, Feda, Vest-Agder, Norway
Parents: Martinus Norum & Grete Pedersdr link

-------------

Marriage: 12 MAR 1876, Feda, Vest-Agder, Norway: link

Martinus Pedersen
Birth: 13 OCT 1839
Father: A. Peder Olsen

Grethe Pedersdr
Birth: 03 SEP 1844
Father: Peder Kristian Olsen

Husband Age at Marriage: 36
Wife Age at Marriage: 31

The orignal records show that the marriage date is actually 17th of March:
(Marriage record #1 here)

Bachelor, Baker Martinus Pedersen Norum (13-oct-1839) and girl Grethe Pedersdatter Birkelandsstrand (3-sep-1844)
His father: Shomaker A. Peder Olsen
Her father: Farmer Peder Christian Olsen

-------------

Here is Grethe as a servant in census-1866
She is born in Feda in Kvinesdal parish, not far from Flekkefjord

-------------

Most likely her father widower Peder Christian Olsen on the farm Berkeland (Birkelandsstrand) in census-1865: link

-------------

Martinus Norum in census 1865: link

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  01:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grethe Pedersdatter (19)
Ole Gabriel Pedersen (10)
Malene Pedersdatter (6)
Andrea Pedersdatter (3)

are registered as moving into Feda parish on 03-Nov-1863. Usually place of residence: Birkeland
Source: Vest-Agder county, Feda, Klokkerbok nr. B 3 (1858-1893), Inn- og utflyttede 1858-1863, page 262.

Grethe Pedersdatter is christened on 22 SEP 1844 Feda, Vest-Agder, Norway
Parents: Peder Christian Olsen & Anne Cathrine Andersdr

Her father Peder Christian Olsen is a widower in 1866.
Her youngest (?) sister Andrea is born ca 1860.

So it looks like Grethe took her youngest siblings and moved out when their mother Anne Cathrine Andersdr died, somewhere between 1860-1863.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  01:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Cathrine Andersdr (32) from Birkeland died on 20-May-1863. from what looks like "stomach-fever" (mavefeber).
Source: Vest-Agder county, Feda, Ministerialbok nr. A 2 (1850-1876), Døde og begravede 1864, page 183.

She is registered as being 32 years old (born ca 1831), which I find a bit strange when we know she's the mother to Grethe, born 1844. Maybe she's 42 years old, born ca 1821? That would also make her on the same age as her husband...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/01/2007 01:53:19
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  02:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, here he is!

#3, born 25-Jan-1880, christened 22-Feb, Marthin Georg, parents Baker Marthinius Pedersen Norum Birkelandsstrand and wife Grethe Pedersdatter. link
Source: Vest-Agder county, Feda, Klokkerbok nr. B 3 (1858-1893), Fødte og døpte 1879-1880, page 76.

I've been searching for Martin Norum born in Grytten, but he is actually born in Feda, Kvinesdal, Vest-Agder!

Martinus & Grethe are living on her birthplace farm still in the 1880's.
Martinus Norum are also the registered owner of Birkelandsstrand in Feda in the Norwegian Landregister of 1886.

Ole Norum is born in Grytten, so the family must have moved from Feda, Vest Agder to Grytten, Møre & Romsdal in 1886-1887.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/01/2007 02:57:01
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  18:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Born 27-May-1883, chr. 03-June, Peder Christian, parents (Baker) Marthinius Norum Fede and wife Grethe Pedersdatter
Source: Vest-Agder county, Feda, Klokkerbok nr. B 3 (1858-1893), Fødte og døpte 1883, page 85.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

haggar35
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  17:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The link between Martin George Norum in the United States and Norway has been completed , thanks to the able assistance of several members of this Site. My COMPLIMENTS!

In my further attempts to extend the line past this, I still have not mastered using the available sources, such as; the Digitalarkivit, but eventually I will.

One question I have and can find no reference to in my reading is the appearence of the name -
NORUM added to or in place of PEDERSDATTER - PEDERSEN - OLSEN ?

I understand Paulines name change to Sættenæs or S¾tternes is due to her marriage, but NORUM seems to be a FARM-Name and I find no Norum farm in the area of residence?

Regards Gene
Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  23:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 census has Martinus born 1840 in Skogn. Farm no 18, farm part no 3 in Skogn is named Norum. Skogn is now part of Levanger town. Most people in Norway at that time used the patronym as their surname, some added the farm name as a family name when they moved into a town or to a different farm. We can only guess why some people left out the patronym, using only the name of their birthfarm (or their name of an ancestral farm) as a surname.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  00:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martinus Pedersen Norum is born 13 OCT 1839 in Skogn, Nord Trøndelag, and his father is A. Peder Olsen. This info is in his marriage record.

The Norum farm(s) are located under the main farm Nossum in present municipality Levanger.

However, I believe the original churchrecord from 1839 are needed to locate his mother.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article