All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Simonsen/Swanberg of Frol/Gausdals/Levanger/Swede
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kbenzi
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2007 :  21:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am researching Simonsen of Frol/Gausdals/Levanger - later Svanberg/Swanberg of Sweden and then of New Sweden, Maine.
I welcome research suggestions as I am not very knowledgeable about Norway and Sweden records and databases and cannot read the language. Thank you in advance.

Theodore SWANBERG (Svanberg) was born abt February 16, 1856 or 1857 in area of Trondheim, Norway.
His parents were Norweigan farmers: Semond Semondsen and Mary Pettendater.

Norweigan census: I think this might be the family...
* Census year: 1865
* Municipality: Frol
* Municipality number: 1720
* Name of domicile: Bækkastuen*
Number of persons in this domicile: 6
Name, Family status, Marital status, Occupation, Birth year, Place of birth, Ethnicity
Simon Eriksen, Husfader, Husmand med Jord, 1825, Gausdals Prgj.
Sigrid Pedersdatter, hans Kone, g, 1824, Levanger Prgj.
Erik Simonsen, deres Sø n, ug, 1853, Levanger Prgj.
Theodor Simonsen, deres Sø n, ug, 1857, Levanger Prgj.
Sara Simonsdatter, deres Datter, ug, 1860, Levanger Prgj.
Serine Simonsdatter, deres Datter, ug, 1862, Levanger Prgj.

First marriage: Theodore
Swanberg was first married to a Norweigan woman between 1877 and 1885. I do not know where. They had a son, Bernie Swanberg, born in Sweden in June 1885. I do not know if there were any other children from this marriage. The Norweigan wife died between 1885 and 1888.

Immigration:
U.S. census records indicate that Theodore Svanberg emigrated to the U.S. in 1888 and that Bernie Svanberg emigrated to the U.S. in 1889. From the Swedish Emigration 1869-1930 CD, there were two possibilities.

Theodor Svanberg b. 1870, age 21, emigrated on 4-17-1891 from Lerback in the County of Orebro, Sweden from the port of Kronoberg to the destination port of Boston, Massachusetts. (Source Code 44:496:5409)
Bernh:a Svanberg, b. 1892, age 15, emigrated 8-23-1907 from Gavle, in the County of Gavelborg from Kronoberg to the destination port of New York, New York. (Source Code 84:449:75242)

In addition, this might be Theodor as well from Norway emigration records:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/
55767, Rec. class 5, Year 1888, Page 226, Line no. 25, Serial no. 5261, New group 1, Date of reg. 27.08.1888, Date 27.08.1888, Given name Theodor, Last name Svendson, Marital status ug, Family pos. , Occupation Arb, Sex m, Age 34, Residence Sverige, Destination New York, Line Nederlandske, Ship via Christiania, Freight (spd/kr) 100, Freight (øre) 00

I do not know if Theodor was a member of the Norweigan military and I have not tried to find his name in military records.

Second Marriage: Theodor Svanberg married Elizabeth V Clase in New Sweden, Maine on September 21, 1892. They had a number of children together. Eventually they moved to Worcester, Massachusetts.

Occupations: Theodore was a farmer, carpenter, truckman and gardener while in the U.S.

Religion: In the U.S. he belonged to the Swedish Lutheran Church.

Death: Theodore Swanberg died on Jan 5, 1944 in Worcester, Massachusetts.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2007 :  23:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
what kind of proof do you have of his Norwegian origin?

Swanberg is for sure a swedish name..., but he could of course have gotten that name after living some years in Sweden...

A birth-certificate or something, saying he's born in Trondheim on Feb 16?

I doubt you have the correct Theodor Simonsen in the boy living at Bækkastuen farm in Levanger in 1865. His parents looks to be Simon Eriksen & Sigrid Pedersdatter, and not "Semond Semondsen and Mary Pettendater"

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

kbenzi
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2007 :  04:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan Peter,

Thanks for your interest.

Unless I searched the 1865 census incorrectly - it's the closest entry I could find. I searched for first name "Theodor" born +/- 10 yrs and then for surname starting with "S" and there are no Swanbergs or Svanbergs (probably got that later in Sweden anyways), and no Semondsen, but there is one Simonsen - I thought it made sense, given all the close matches: exact birth year for Theodor (b. 1857), his father's name "Simon", it's location in a rural area (farmers) - within a reasonable distance of Trondheim and that the mother's surname is listed as Pedersdatter.

I have many sources of information that indicate that Theodore
Swanberg was born February 1857 or 1856 in Norway to Norwegian
parents, including his second marriage record, death record and several U.S. census records. Only one of these sources, a newspaper obituary (likely written by one or more of his children) lists his place of birth in Norway as Trondheim. Therefore, Trondheim is the best guess I have as to his birth location in Norway. Since his parents were farmers (from his second marriage record) it is possible that they came from a farm near Trondheim.

The names of Theodore's parents, Semond Semondsen and Mary Pettendater was found on the State of Maine, 1892 Marriage Certificate for Theodor Svanberg and Elizabeth V. Clesse (Clase). This is the only place where I have been able to locate the names of Theodore's parents. I believed that the names of the parents were misspelled by people who knew only English, they were spelled several ways in the U.S. in any case: Simon/Semon/Semond or Pettendater/Petendatter (instead of Pedersdatter) according to Theodore's second marriage certificate. And "Mary" is a typical name that might have been selected by a State of Maine Clerk (who spoke only english) when they had no idea how to spell something like Sigrid.

But I am open to other possibilities and I certainly haven't exhausted my resources in Norway yet. And I do not speak the language. So if I am incorrect in these assumptions, please let me know.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2007 :  14:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably right about your assumtions..., but I think we'll have to search more widely in the 1865 census..., especially since his father is named Eriksen and not Simonsen...

Semond Semondsen & Mary Pettendater would most likely be named Simon Simonsen & Marie Pedersdatter in Norway. Bernie could be called Bernhard.

A quick search in the Norwegian 1865 census did not discover any other possibilities than the one in Levanger...

About their emigration..., Bernie would probably not emigrate to the US by himself at the age of 4, so chances are that he went together with his father in 1888/89.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/02/2007 15:31:36
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2007 :  19:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 census in Maine has Theodor, born Norway, both parents born Norway, immigrating in 1888.
Wife Elizabeth was born in Maine, parents born in Sweden.
Bennie, born June 1885 in Sweden, parents both born in Norway, immigrated 1889.

You certainly have done alot of research, have you followed Bernie/Bennie's information? Confirmation, marriage records? Since he was so young when his father remarried, Elizabeth could be indicated as his mother, not so fussy in the old days.

Have you contacted:

www.augustana.edu/swenson

The Nederlandske Line, I believe, would be the National Line which operated routes to New York but I have not been able to find them. The passenger lists at that time would not give much information, tho.

Go to Top of Page

kbenzi
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2007 :  00:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input so far.

Could anyone enlighten me as to why a Norwegian couple might emigrate to Sweden from Norway in the early 1870's - Was there more work in Sweden?

thanks,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2007 :  01:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nederlandske means Dutch, so is there something called The Dutch Line?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2007 :  03:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI
This could be Theodore's first wife leaving Trondheim in 1889 Click Here traveling to Caribou Maine. Erents may be Berents/Bennie??

In 1888 there is an Emil Svanberg with a destination of Caribou Maine. He is listed as unmarried but that could be an error. Click Here Theodor could have been a middle name or just the name he choose in America. It is worth investigating.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2007 :  04:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I just eliminated the Svanbergs I found. I found the family in the 1900 census living in New Hampshire

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2007 :  15:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
there are 213 Svanberg´s living in Norway today. http://www.startsiden.no/oppslagsverk_og_fakta/adresseinfo/ , maybee some of them can give an answer.
Go to Top of Page

kbenzi
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to everyone for your responses to my query. I now have some ideas of how to proceed. Best wishes!

Kathy Benzi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article