All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Scandinavia, WI Olsen/Olson Arkaas Arkaasa Arkose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  17:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total newbies to geneaology are curious to learn if there is a way to determine the names of all children/grandchildren born to this "Olson/Olsen"~"Arkaas/Arkaasa/Arkose" family, originally from Sandsvaer, Norway.

I've only located one birth certificate ONLINE which might be connected, it is to yet another spelling, Akasa - a Carl Arkasa born in the same county - namely, Waupaca, Wisconsin.

We've found one translation for the surname to English, which would be 'arcade,' but are curious if the surname Arkaas/Arkaasa actually relates to something in Norway, say, a farm or small village, or perhaps something arctic, as in that first syllable 'ARK' -- like the word "arktos."

Is there any way to figure this out online, the descendants, without undue expense - or would something like this require a trip to the town of Scandinavia, Wisconsin to hopefully check church registries of births, presuming such even exists, or would it mandate hiring a professional?

Also... surely with all those "Olsens/Olsons" (apparently surnames) -- it would be nigh impossible to trace anything further in Norwegian records, right? Or is this actually feasible nowadays?

INDIAN LAND

Ola Olson Arkaas from Sandavaer & w Sigrid, - also son Knut O. Arkaas and wife. Jonette Iverson from Trondhjem, and Arne O. Arkaas (1837-92) & w Guri Riste. ...

http://www.mainstreet-marketplace.com/Indianland.htm   ( - 471k)

scan.txt

ARKOSE   Arne C.     1837   1892   II     1    
Veteran Civil War

ARKOSE         Jonetta         1844   1886   II  

ARKOSE         Knut O.         1835   1890   II  

ARKOSE         Sophia Olson   1869   1892   II     33

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/wi/waupaca/cemeteries/scan.txt

Vesterheim Civil War records

ARKAASA, Arne

From Sandsvaer, Norway. Born 12 Aug 1837. Civil War: Corporal. Post war: Died 30 May (?) 1892 in Scandinavia, Wisconsin. Stone reading "Arkose, Arne O. 1837-1892" is in Scandinavia Lutheran Cemetery Sect. II Row 1, Waupaca County, Wisconsin. Sources: (Ulvestad p262) (KJR) (Wisconsin Cemetery Records) (USGenWeb Archives by Geraldine Trinrud g--trin@-----.com) "Arkose, Arne"

http://vesterheim.org/CivilWar/db/a/ark/index.html

OLSEN, Arne

From Sandsvær, Norway. Civil War: Private. Post war: Died in Scandinavia, Wisconsin (before 1907). Sources: (Ulvestad p315)

http://vesterheim.org/CivilWar/db/o/ols/007601.html

Edited by - enigma on 29/05/2007 13:37:00

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  18:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1865 Norwegian census indicates a farm by the name "Arkoset" in Sandsvær, Buskerud, Norway.
You seem to indicate the persons you seek were already in the US by 1865 - so turn to the parish church records for Sandsvær. Look for birth/baptisms, confirmations, marriages for those persons. Those records will be available on LDS microfilm from any LDS Family History Center near you
OR
they may have been added to the scanned collection of original Norwegian church records through the Digitalarkivet website.

As a newbie you should first carefully study the 'how-to' articles under LINKS near the upper right of this page. There are MANY records and resources relatively easily obtained to do your family history research from almost anywhere in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  18:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to start with yourself (or whoever) and work backwards. Even if you find someone, you do not know for sure if they are the right people unless you connect the dots. Undocumented sources are not reliable. And family trees posted on the Internet are really something to be checked out thoroughly.

http://www.cyndislist.com/internet-gen.htm

Everything is not free and everything is not on the Internet, especially birth/death record indexes, and even if you find something, you still need to obtain the actual record. There is alot of information and links on this site to help you with information on doing basic, beginning research.

I recommend you also read the article on this site, Those Norwegian Names.
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  20:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Anne Sadler

You have to start with yourself (or whoever) and work backwards.

Thank you. I wasn't precisely sure how to ask that, but you know enough about the subject to have identified a crucial point of confusion.

quote:

....Undocumented sources are not reliable. And family trees posted on the Internet are really something to be checked out thoroughly.

Inotherwords, in tracing backwards, while doing the research, obtain an official document for each individual - elsewise, there's no way to ensure any accuracy. Okay.

I've explored Cyndi's List several times over the past decade, but it's really kind of overwhelming.
http://www.cyndislist.com/internet-gen.htm

quote:

Everything is not free and everything is not on the Internet, especially birth/death record indexes, and even if you find something, you still need to obtain the actual record.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, for someone who knows nothing about the subject, I guess we'd presumed that the vital statistics would be somewhere online, ALL of them, LOL.

quote:

I recommend you also read the article on this site, Those Norwegian Names.

It's an excellent article, I've read it several times over the years - trying to motivate myself to look further into "Ola/Ole Olsen/Olson."

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edited by - enigma on 28/05/2007 20:31:20
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  20:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

1865 Norwegian census indicates a farm by the name "Arkoset" in Sandsvær, Buskerud, Norway.

I'm dumbfounded.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, it is extremely kind of you. I'm simply amazed to see that farm - particularly spelled the way it is, it's not a 'variant' that I would ever have tried in any indexes. I don't know what any of the following says, but now I do know that Arkoset was inclued in Rhyg's encyclopedic work on Norwegian farms.

Listen over gårder er hentet fra "Norske Gaardnavne". v.5, p.377  

40,5. Arkoset. Udt. æ2rkóse, a2rkóse.
Ligger ved Udløbet i Myklevand af en Elv, der kommer fra Arkevandene og vel har hedt *Arka, hvilket Navn ogsaa forekommer i Alkerød i Berg Sml. GN. 26 (Arkærud 1367). Hermed sammenstilles i NE. S. 5 de svenske Sjønavne Arken og Arksjön. Maaske til ari m. "Ørn": se NE. S. 314.

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/navnegransking/rygh_ng/rygh_visetekst.prl?s=e&KRYSS98039@22328=on&Vise=Show

quote:

You seem to indicate the persons you seek were already in the US by 1865 - so turn to the parish church records for Sandsvær. Look for birth/baptisms, confirmations, marriages for those persons. Those records will be available on LDS microfilm from any LDS Family History Center near you

Thank you. We didn't know that LDS already have them on microfilm, it was our understanding that these Norwegian records were in the process of being made available on the Internet, but that it was a massive project requiring many years.

quote:

OR

they may have been added to the scanned collection of original Norwegian church records through the Digitalarkivet website.

Thank you!

quote:

As a newbie you should first carefully study the 'how-to' articles under LINKS near the upper right of this page. There are MANY records and resources relatively easily obtained to do your family history research from almost anywhere in the US.

Amazing.

The "Ola/Ole" coupled with "Olsen/Olson" really looks to be way over our heads, but we'll see.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edited by - enigma on 28/05/2007 20:28:53
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  21:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
You are right about Arkoset.
The farm was deserted before 1900 and lied in the southern part of lake Mykle at the estuary.

The name Arkoset is likely coming from the stream Arka coming from the forest lake Arkevannet.This area was very thinly populated and this countryside was more an extention of Siljan countryside in Telemark even it belonged to Sandsvær municipality in Buskerud County.

Only three families lives permanet in this countryside today

Enter http://kart.finn.no/ , write Ruggefjell and enter "søk", zoom out twice and watch "Mykledammen" the pond where Arkoset was placed north in the map, navigate and enter Mykledammen, change to satelite and watch the area .

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/05/2007 21:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  23:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Olsen Arkoset b. 1799, likely from Gransherad in Telemark County, and his wife Sigrid still lived in 1865, Ole as "Leilænding"-Tenant farmer on Arkoset and his wife as a pauper taken care of by the welfare agency.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=23&filnamn=f60629&&gardpostnr=268&merk=268#ovre

Ole was known as a handyman making troughs, plaining benches and other useful tools of wood he exchanged in flour or grain.
Ole was also wellknown for always be in a good mood.

Source: Sandsværs Historie b. III p 680-81

Sorry, but no Arne Olsen Arkoset b. 1837 found so fare

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/05/2007 23:35:55
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  23:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating!

Thank you so much, Kare!

I'll have to start with "Person Zero" and go backwards and see if these people are ancestors. It was my (vague) impression that they immigrated well before the Civil War, and hence their sons are listed in the Vesterheim museum lists of Norwegians fighting in the Civil War.

However, plenty of immigrants to America returned to the "Old Country," and so if it is the SAME "Ola Olson" of Waupaca County, then maybe they decided to return home.

As Joanne cautioned, I'll have to track backwards and get official copies of birth/death certificates, etc.

Thanks for the instructions on how to view the land - that will sure be fun.
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  00:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another spelling.

Arn O. Arkosa 8th Wis Battery Scandinavia,WI

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wiwaupac/Census/1885SS/1885SSScan.htm

Knut and Arne Arkosa - in Scandinavia, Wisconsin (Waupaca County)

For an infinitesimal sum Ingebret, Søren Kjendalen, Hans Tveitan, Bernt Simonsen, Christian Nygaard, Knut and Arne Arkosa, and a few others purchased several "forties" of swampland thick with the cedar. They built a community log house and barn, and the great rail splitting and hauling got into full swing. One or two members of a family would stay in the woods cutting and splitting, and another would make the daily trip with sturdy horses and bobsleds. For thirty years, every day, beginning in December with the first snowfall and continuing up to the middle of March, this was our winter's work. Let no one think it was easy to get up at five o'clock in the morning, drive twelve miles, load up, have dinner, and drive back home the same day before dark, in deep snow and rigorous cold weather -- zero weather chiefly. We also cut and hauled home great numbers of cedar posts, and sold most of them at five cents each. They are fifty cents in Chicago at this writing.

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/pubs/nas/volume15/vol15_9.htm

Edited by - enigma on 31/05/2007 00:44:53
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  00:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Sorry, but no Arne Olsen Arkoset b. 1837 found so fare

Hi Again, Kare.

I've located Arne Olson in the 1880 U.S. Census, and therein, unlike any place else, his birth year is listed as 1839????

Edited by - enigma on 31/05/2007 01:01:13
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  09:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I have located only one Arne born in Sandsvær between 1837-40, his last neme is even Olsen, nr 56:
Arne Olsen b. Oct. 14. 1837-bap. Nov 19. 1837, son of Ole Timandsen Waalseiet (Waal or Hvål is the closest you can get to Arkoset from "this" side of the mountain Skrim, only about three hours walking) and Ragnhild (hard to read her last name)

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8578&idx_id=8578&uid=ny&idx_side=-230

So perhaps, since you have written ????behind 1839 his birth year seem a bit uncertain.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/05/2007 09:45:53
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  15:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take the liberty to do some reading on the birth record of Arne born Oct 14, baptized at home Oct 23 by Benjamin Wall which was confirmed in church Nov 19 1837. Parents Ole Timandsen Waalseiet and wife Ragnil Ellevsdr Pld (don't know what this means). Godfathers were Thimand Aanestads kone P Anne Sophia Timandsdr ibid, Tollev Waal, Syvert Waal, Amund Benjaminsen ditto.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  18:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I also have family from the Scandinavia area and one thing I really found helpful, was getting their death certificates. If you can get their marriage records, sometimes that is helpful.

Here is a useful site for Wisconsin records. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

Also, if you know the year of death, you can priint out a form and for $7, you can obtain a death certificate from the state.
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/VitalRecords/death.htm

Working from what you actually know and then tracing back, has really helped me.

I have Olson's in my family, from the Iola area, in Waupaca County. Not that we're related, because as you know, there are tons of Olson's.

Good luck! Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  19:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to fill in some blanks, in case you haven't seen the 1900 US census.

Arne's son, who I'm guessing you are descended from, is living in Scandinavia township, in Waupaca County.

Olson, Olof G., birthdate June 1869, 30 yrs., married 5 years, farmer
Olson, Carolina, birthdate May 1872, 28 yrs., married 5 yrs, 2 children born, with 2 children still living, immigrated from Norway in 1893
Olson, Alvin, son, Sept 1895, 4 yrs., born in Wisconsin
Olson, Melanda (?), Dec 1896, 3 yrs, born in Wisconsin
Olson, Guri, mother

For some reason, they started writing down information on Guri and then scribbled over it. Puzzling.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

enigma
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  00:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

Hi,

I also have family from the Scandinavia area and one thing I really found helpful, was getting their death certificates. If you can get their marriage records, sometimes that is helpful.

Here is a useful site for Wisconsin records. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

Also, if you know the year of death, you can priint out a form and for $7, you can obtain a death certificate from the state.
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/VitalRecords/death.htm

Working from what you actually know and then tracing back, has really helped me.

I have Olson's in my family, from the Iola area, in Waupaca County. Not that we're related, because as you know, there are tons of Olson's.

Good luck! Wanda

Thanks so much for those links -- I do know that at one point in the last year I had bookmarked them, but evidentally didn't save them for long.

I will definitely get ahold of the death certificates for my Norwegian born grandfather, and for my Norwegian-American grandmother, (who I'm pretty certain was born in Wisconsin.)

As you, and others say, I'll have to work backwards... and see what happens.

It's been nice to read lots of online articles about how the Norwegian immigrants seemed to not care about their surnames, spelled them many different ways, and in some cases apparently even changed them.

I'm still in a state of shock that within hours of my first posting, that knowledgable people explained that there was a farm named Arkoset in Buskerud, Norway.

LOL

I will not ever tell how many (many many many) years, nor how many languages I've tried to find the origin of the surname Arkose -- which I was, however, positive had nothing to do with the Hungarian surname, which I think I recall is spelled, 'Arkozy.'

Arkoset.

It's been wild trying to find any puzzle pieces which fit together for arkaas, arkaasa, arkasa, arkosa, arkose and olson & olsen, and for all I know maybe even olsdotter, and then there also are about ten ways to spell Olson, right? (I didn't even know that that was the surname she used when she got married, I only found that out about half a dozen years ago when I decided to look at online records --- and online records have a real paucity of info regarding Arkaas, Arkaasa, Arkasa, Arkosa & Arkose.

I had such infintesimal information, I never felt comfortable asking anywhere online about it - particularly when I realized that Olson/Olsen/etc was involved.

We might also visit Scandinavia, Wisconsin, but probably not this year -- the old photographs I've examined online are so fascinating!

Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  04:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Scandinavia area in Waupaca County is actually very pretty. If you plan to visit, find out when the Scandinavia Corn Roast is. I think it's in August, but it's really a nice time. A large percentage of the people there are either Norwegian or Danish. I have a tee-shirt from one of the Corn Roast's that says "Take a Liking to a Viking". Cute, I thought!

The Waupaca library carries all of the local newspapers and obits from that area. They may be on microfilm, but I believe they have them. I have great grandparents buried in one of the Scandinavia cemeteries, so am somewhat familiar with them.

You said something in your post that I was just thinking today, while trying to find your family in everyway possible, in the different censuses. They seemed to have no problem with changing their names or people misspelling them. My father was the same way with his and I think it was because his parents and grandparents were use to it. My great grandparents had two different names that they were known by. In a total contradiction, my Mother's maiden name was misspelled in an obit and she threw a huge fit. Funny how things change.

I have a sister in that area and can call on her to do some searching, within reason, so let me know if you run into any problems.

One question I had while searching through the US census, is if Knud Arkaas's family(as listed in the 1880 census) ever changed their name to Olson? I was trying to find an immigration date for Knud, so was looking to see when he died and was doing a search for his son, Carl. In the 1900 census I couldn't find him, but found a Carl Olson and was wondering if the family had changed their name? Just curious. I don't know if it will give you anymore info or not, but thought I'd ask.

Good luck with your research.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article