All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Toastenson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  22:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find info on Ander Tostenson/Tustison born 1830 Telemark, Norway married Gunhild Unknown born 1835 Telemark. They went to the USA before 1857 where their first child Thomas A Tostenson was born in Illinois in 1857 then they went to Minnesota where they had two daughters. I believe they were married in Norway.
Thank you for your help.
Renee Sanders, OREGON, USA

Renee Sanders

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  22:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the best researchers on the Internet recommended earlier this month that you contact the Fillmore Co. Historical Society. Did you learn anything from them about what other resources might be available and how to access them?
http://genforum.genealogy.com/mn/messages/13338.html

Edited by - Hopkins on 26/06/2007 16:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  02:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Telemark is a "county" in Norway and many of the parish records are available online:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_fylke=8&idx_kilde=Alle&idx_periode=&idx_textsearch=&js=j

You can try to find Ander's baptism record in 1830.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  03:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1865 census they are in Holt, Fillmore, MN. The Fillmore County Historical Society link has alot of resources including look up volunteers for history books, cemeteries, state census'.

Do you have any more information here? It is hard to connect the dots without all available information on this side of the pond. Census, birth, death, marriage records.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  16:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the source of the information that the Tostensons came from Telemark? Have you researched in the emigration lists of persons from Telemark available on LDS microfiche set # 6350054?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  18:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link:

click here

I do not believe that microfiche can be rented at local Family History Centers.

With the withdrawal of the free Ancestry.com Library Edition to them, the FHC's are providing great alternatives including all the census' on Heritage Quest and many other projects online.
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  22:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the Telemark Emigration Fiche mentioned above, and did not find Anders. The listing is alphabetized by first name - I checked through Anders and Andreas. If he used a farm name and not the patronymic it would be in a different order on the fiche. And we do not have a farm name. If he came in a group, i could have missed him.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  01:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked that fiche set this afternoon too and agree that I also didn't find any mention of the family we'd like to see there. I'd still love to know the source of the Telemark origin listing for this family. Knowing that might help.

Yes, microfiche can be ordered at local LDS Family History Centers (at least every center I've ever visited). Microfiche from the Salt Lake City collection can often take a little longer to receive after they are ordered but if available they have two big advantages to those of us who call ourselves "frugal". They usually only cost 15 US cents per microfiche sheet to order (the Telemark emigrant set consists of 9 sheets) and they STAY at the local Family History Center after they are received. Unfortunately they are an older form of medium and are less used. The Family History Center near me used to have 7 microfiche readers available at all times - but with the addition of 4 more computers and a scanner/copier/printer for microfilm/microfiche and hard copy the local director decided to get rid of 5 of the older model fiche readers to make room for the newer technology.

I have a number of favorite LDS microfiche sets for Norwegian genealogy which includes, but not limited to -
#6030017 -- "Danish-Norwegian paleography" a primer on handwriting and interpreting old Danish-Norwegian records with excellent examples
#6030038 -- Norwegian Postal/Shipping Guide Place Names -- circa 1901 (great for finding odd locations and working out possible matches for even more odd spellings)
#6030098 -- Genealogical guidebook & atlas of Norway
#6039342 -- "Intro to Court, Mortgage, Probate, Deed Records, etc. of Norway" by C.S. Schilbred
I have also found various bygdebøker available on LDS microfiche - especially a number of older books like "Hitterdalsboken", Hurdal, "Boka om Land", "Sandsvaers Historie" and of course the ever interesting Telemark emigrant index...

So don't pass up the opportunity to order the microfiche - unless you have NO access to a microfiche reader.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  07:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Anders Tostensen was born at the farm Woltvedt in Sauherad, Telemark in 1835, see #80 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5982&idx_id=5982&uid=ny&idx_side=-51 - could he be the right person? He was confirmed Oct 14 1849.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/06/2007 10:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  14:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps more info in " Bygedebok for Sauherad, gards og ættesoge", bind II?? The table on contents shows a farm "Voltveit" starting on page 208.
(I don't have access to the book - but I kept a copy of the table of contents when I used it several months ago in Salt Lake City.)
A friend has listed himself as a volunteer to do lookups in Sauherad volumes, I've sent him an email for a quick lookup and will report back later.

Edited by - Hopkins on 27/06/2007 14:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2007 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Results of the Lookup in the Sauherad book -
The Anders Tostensen born at 'Woltvedt' in Sauherad Telemark married Bergit Torsteinsd. from Ramsvik u. Klevar in 1862. The couple had at least 11 children in Norway and did emigrate to America about 1887.
Go to Top of Page

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2007 :  20:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to up date names. I have just found out the names are Odd Thorstensen/Torestsen born 1825-30 and wife Gunhild/Gunild Evensdatter born 1835. I think they were from Telemark but not positive.
They were in the US by 1856.
Thank you,
Renee Sanders, OREGON, USA

Renee Sanders
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2007 :  16:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two daughters baptised in Elstad congregation of Fillmore Co. Minnesota.
record #4535 -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=63&filnamn=CHMNFILB&gardpostnr=4535&sokefelt=skjul
record #5124
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=66&filnamn=CHMNFILB&gardpostnr=5124&sokefelt=skjul

My hunch is that they came from Rogaland rather than Telemark. The naming patterns somehow seem more consistent with that area.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2007 :  17:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listed leaving the Årdal i Hjelmeland parish in 1855, entries #12 and #13 -
Rogaland fylke, Årdal i Hjelmeland, Ministerialbok nr. A 8 (1842-1861), Inn- og utflyttede 1856, side 231

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1602&idx_id=1602&uid=ny&idx_side=-222

I'm not claiming that this is a perfect match to the couple - just that is appears worth your further investigation. The husband has appeared with so many different spellings and ages ... this appears within range of some of those previously listed.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2007 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same couple as found above in the Udflytte records of Årdal i Hjelmeland can be found in the emigrant database for Stavanger in the Digitalarkivet collection.
Records (the blue numbers) #41415 and #41416 -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=8&filnamn=STAV&gardpostnr=41415&sokefelt=skjul

Go to Top of Page

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2007 :  19:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much! I think this might be them. The baptism records are definately them. I never thought I would find them
Renee

Renee Sanders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article