All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Andrew and Carrie Knutson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  15:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a translation of the engagement record would be in order
"der ikke ere hverandre nærmere beslæktet med som søskende børn, kan uden hindring af nogen lovstridigt inngaae Ægteskap samen, derfor ere wi answarlige" - which means
who is not with each other closer related as (first) cousins, may without hindrance of anything unlawful get married together, for this we are responsible.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 01/08/2007 19:27:21
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  15:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins, I am impressed all you know about "Odelsloven". This is hard material.
Perhaps this also can be to some help Wanda.

Odelsretten/Åseteretten , your right of inheritance, is an unusual right only existing in Norway and has existed from the viking age.

Odelsloven is complexed, and one has to be almost a legal expert to understand the contents of it.
Here are a thorough information of "Odelsloven" and a link to "Åseteretten" in English
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odelsrett

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  16:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Einar! I was working on the translation, but your version makes a lot more sense.

Kåre, This is a very interesting subject. It looks like my window to redeem the land has passed. Oh well, I was never looking to get land, just find out who they are and where they came from.

I talked to a lawyer about this subject, this morning and he said that the closest thing we have to this in Wisconsin, would be done with contracts. It could be written to be fairly close to the Norwegian law, but there isn't already a set law that would cover this type of inheritance or redemption, by a previous owner. Very interesting. Thanks for the help in understanding this!

Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  18:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terje Svendsen 6 month old son of Svend Tergesen was born April 14 1849 in Øiestad but christened June 10 in Froland. See NB
This Svend Terjesens wife was Cathrine Larsdatter – they married Nov 24 1848 in Øiestad, see 32
He was born and lived at Omholt Saugenæs and his father was Terje Knudsen.
If Kari was the sister of Svend Tergesen born Dec 30 1823, christened Feb 8 1824 Mykland, Aust-Agder whos parents were Terje Næresen and Anne Evensdatter, she would not be the aunt of Terje Svendsen born in 1848!

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 01/08/2007 19:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  21:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, Einar!

I saw Svend's name and age next to Kari's and must have wrongly assumed that he was her brother, since her husband wasn't listed on the passenger list. I didn't think that a woman with two children would be traveling alone at that time. I would of thought that she would of been traveling with family, if she had been widowed. Maybe, she remarried and her new husband was on board with them, but since the list that I looked at on Ancestry has them in alpha order, I can't tell who he might be.

Thank you for pointing that out! I wish I could find a death date for Knud, but I haven't found one yet. Also, a emigration date would be nice, but I haven't seen that either.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  21:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me correct that. We know that a Svend Terjeson was Kari's brother, but maybe the Terje Svendsen that was on board, wasn't Svend's son?

So the possibility exists that her brother Svend wasn't married and was traveling with his sister and her children. That could be.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  13:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to watch the list of new scanned/digitized records added to the Digitalarkivet website every week. In this week's list - Aust-Agder fylke, Mykland i Åmli, Klokkerbok nr. B 1 (1816-1866). That date span exactly matches the description in the LDS library catalog even though the LDS catalog lists it under Honefoss.
See record #1 listed under 1836 -
Anders Knudsen
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  16:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... interesting!

Looking at the Godparents for Anders, they look like Anne Tergjesdr, Tergje Aslaksen, Ole Andersen and Anders Olsen.

Could this be two of the godparents?
Anne Torgersdr
Birth 07 APR 1822, Mykland, Aust-Agder
Christening: 28 APR 1822, Mykland, Aust-Agder
Her parents are Terje Aslaksen (Godparent for Anders?) & Askier Hansdr, Mykland, Aust-Agder.

They have also a son Aslak:
Aslak Torgersen
Birth: 09 MAR 1819, Mykland, Aust-Agder
Christening: 08 APR 1819, Mykland, Aust-Agder

Could Terje Aslaksen & Askier Hansdr, Mykland, Aust-Agder be the parents of Kari born ca 1815? No signs of a son named Sven though...

Knud & Kari's marriage.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the confirmation of Kari Tergjesdatter:

01 Aug 1830, Mykland, Åmli, Aust Agder.
Kari Tergjesdatter Øuestad (14 ½), parents Terje Aslagsen & Askier Hansdr.
Being 14 ½, she should be born ca December 1815.

Census-1801

Other children to Tergje Aslagsen & Askier Hansdr:

Kirrsti Tergjesdr
Birth: 06 JUL 1825
Christening: 31 JUL 1825, Mykland, Aust-Agder

Hans Tergjesen
Birth: 13 JUL 1828
Christening: 27 JUL 1828, Mykland, Aust-Agder

Hans Tergjesen
Birth: 05 JUN 1835
Christening: 12 JUL 1835, Mykland, Aust-Agder

Tergie Aslaksen & Asier Hansdr
Marriage: 07 OCT 1810, Aamli, Aust-Agder

Tergie Aslaksen
Christening: 27 FEB 1774, Aamli, Aust-Agder
Parents: Aslach Tallachsen & Kari Tergiesdr

His mother was also a Kari Tergiesdr, as was his daughter...

The age doesn't fit with the 1801-census, but the parents are the same.
Also, Tergje must have been quite old when his son Hans was born 05 JUN 1835. If it's the same couple.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/08/2007 17:28:27
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre, I apologise. I didn't realize that anyone might assume that I had any authorship in the article I referenced about Norwegian Land Records. I did NOT write the article - it is the work of our friend John Follesdal and is included on his website "Ancestors From Norway". John's first university level education major was in the field of the law and it often shows in his writings.
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  19:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I was gone for a few hours and I come back to this! Very impressive.

Hopkins, thanks for checking on the most recest updates on Digitalarkivet . They must have been recent, because I was just searching on there earlier this week and those dates weren't there. Now maybe I will find Knud's death record too! As for your message to Kare, I don't always use quotes, but I always try and mention where I got the information from and then there's no confusion.

Jan Peter, I'm quite amazed. A whole new family for Kari Terjesdatter. Can you or someone else, please tell me what Knud and Kari's marriage record states, since I'm having problems reading it? It's listed above, in Jan Peter's post.

I'm going to read through everything again, since there's a lot to take in.

Thank you so much! Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 02/08/2007 20:59:55
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  20:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hopkins,
I think you misunderstood me, I never thought you had any authorship in the article about the Norwegian Land Records.

Sometimes my English translations can be hard to understand for everyone, including myself.

Take care, Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  21:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parish records are a gift to researchers - now we know when they married - the best men were Lensmann (sheriff) Salve Moe and Salve Evensen Baae - where Knud was staying I am not sure - looks like i Lardahl, but Kari was staying at Øuestad - and now we also know what happened to Knud Andersen when he was living at Øuestad, see 1839 #3
in the remark column (all the way to the right) "Druknet ---- i Kopshawn" Drowned (can't read that) i Kopshawn "Den 18 Juni blew han funden ganske raaden" - June 18 he was found quite decomposed.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/08/2007 21:14:52
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar,
Oh my! I was looking for a death record, but that's really sad. With the dates I read, do you think he fell through the ice and they didn't find him until summer? That would of been 10 years before Kari and the children left for the states. My great great grandfather would only have been 3 years, not quite 4 year old.

Kari had to have remarried during those 10 years, because I just can't imagine her taking two young teens with her to the states, without other family with her. I'm going to look more closely at the ship list and see if any of the names on there are also on any of the baptismal or weddings records that were found.

Thanks for the translation!
Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  23:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kåre. I think your English is very good - much much better than my own Norwegian!
I just worried myself into thinking that I had unintentionally mislead.
Continued good luck to you in your research.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article