All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Andrew and Carrie Knutson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  04:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

Can you or someone else, please tell me what Knud and Kari's marriage record states, since I'm having problems reading it?
Wanda
Hi,
I see you have already got the bestmen information from eibache; they were Lensmann (sheriff) Salve Moe and Salve Evensen Baae.
The first two column s reads:

Ungkarl Knud Andersen (farmname) 20 Aar
Pigen Kari Tergjesdr Ouestad 17 Aar

Marriage date: 17 Jul 1833.

I live not far from this area, and there's a lot of boggy ground and lakes up there, which are covered with ice during winter.
Or could it be "Kongshamn" on the island Tromøy in Arendal? That could be the area to go if he wanted salt-water fish...

Modern spelling of Ouestad is Auestad. The Mykland area has been transferred from Åmli, and is today under Froland municipality, Aust Agder.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  08:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Wanda, Kari remarried in 1840 see #3 her new husband was Jonas Sørensen, from a place under the farm Bjelland.
The sheriff Salve Moe was again a best man, the other was Ole Terjesen from Ouestad.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/08/2007 08:34:08
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  09:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did we miss her?

Here is the christening records of your Kari. She was actually as I assumed born in December 1815... And it looks like they had a girl by the same name 4 years earlier.

Kari Torgersen
Birth: 25 JAN 1812
Christening: 26 JAN 1812, Aamli, Aust-Agder
Parents: Tergje Aslaksen & Asier Hansdr

Kari Torgersen
Birth: 13 DEC 1815
Christening: 28 JAN 1816, Aamli, Aust-Agder
Parents: Tergje Aslachsen & Aschier Hansdr

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/08/2007 10:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  16:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning! I'm always amazed by what you find, while I am sleeping.

I'm so glad that she remarried. I just thought that she would had to of, before coming to the states. I looked on the ship list for her new husband and while I didn't find a Jonas Sørensen, I found a Jörgen Lorenson, age 36. There is also a Thomas Lorenson listed, who is also 36. I don't get to see the original list, just their transcription. The age would be about right. I wish they hadn't listed them alphabetically!

It's interesting that the sheriff was best man for both her weddings. We had a Sheriff Moe near the area that I grew up, in the same county that Anders and Carrie Knutson settled in. That's interesting.

So they were very intent on keeping the name Kari in the family, since the first daughter must of died and then they named my great great great grandmother Kari, also.

I looked through those same records looking for Kari's second marriage and I missed it, probably because it was so faded.

Jan Peter, since you are familiar with this area. If I were to stay in Arendal, could I easily visit this area, along with Søndeled and Risør?

I am working at a slight disadvantage right now. My computer is getting fixed and I am working from another laptop. I had all my sites bookmarked on my computer and now I have to look everything up again, which is very time consuming. Hopefully, I'll have my computer back next week. I really miss my bookmarks.

Thanks again,
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  17:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

If I were to stay in Arendal, could I easily visit this area, along with Søndeled and Risør?
Wanda
Yes, you have all these ancestors within a short drive from Arendal. Heading east towards Oslo on E18, and you'll get to Søndeled/Risør within 45 minutes.

To get to Mykland from Arendal, you'll have to go straight north on Rv42. Arendal-Mykland is the same distance as Arendal-Søndeled, so you should get there within 45 minutes...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  18:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jan Peter!

That's good to know. It will be much easier if we can limit the places that we have to stay, since we'll also be visiting the Hjartdal/Heddal area of Telemark, plus an excursion through the fjords.

Take care,Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  21:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll check in again on Sunday evening.
Gone for the weekend.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  18:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to give you an update, to see if anyone can find Carrie Knutson. I found out from her children's marriage records, that her maiden name is Sorenson. I still think she is from the Hitterdahl/Heddal area of Telemark, but haven't been able to find any trace of her there. I've see two birth dates for her, one that lists it as January 1, 1840 and 12/31/? was listed by the person that did the cemetery transcription, as a note.

Also, I think I now have the names of all of their children. They listed 17 on one census and 16 on the other, so I'm wondering if one died at birth, since they listed the "16" in a later census. I still think that she immigrated in 1847 with her family.

Thanks for the assistance.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  19:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I need some help finding out where Andrew/Anders Knutson, with his mother, stepfather and sister went once they arrived in New York. They immigrated in 1849. I found him arriving in New York on the Juno from Arendal, on August 18, 1849. Please look through this topic for the information needed. I had heard from my mother's cousin, that he thought that Andrew Knutson had met Carrie Sorenson in New York and they married and settled in Waupaca County, Wisconsin.

Also, what happened to Andrew's mother Karen/Kari, stepfather Jonas Sorenson and his sister Gunild Knutson?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 24/10/2007 20:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find out the location of the farm that Jonas Sorensen was from, so I can find his birth record. On his and Kari Terjesdatters marriage record, it lists the farm as "Breli af Bjelland". I have not been able to find his birth/baptismal record in Ã…mli, so need to locate the farm, so I know where to search. Hopefully, if I find out more about him, I might find where he settled with Kari in the United States.

Here is the marriage record. Right page, 1840, #3. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9499&idx_id=9499&uid=ny&idx_side=-134

Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  16:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Breli af Bjelland"...

There is a farm called Breidli in Bjelland, Marnardal municipality, Vest-Agder.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda, I found him in Bjelland municipality, Vest Agder, see top right hand page here his father was Søren Jonasen (as in wedding record) and the mother was Siri Kristensdatter at Breilien. Ha was baptized Jan 31.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jan Peter and Einar!

I had just mapped Breidli and found it close to Homme, Vest-Agder, when Einar posted the baptismal record. That is a beautiful record and fairly easy to read. Thank you!

This helps to clear up many things. I had found a Jorgen Sorenson in Waupaca County, Wisconsin, who used the name Jorgen Sorenson Fiane and John Sorenson, but it said that he was from Holt. It couldn't be the same person.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found Soren Jonasen(?) in the 1801 Census, but just wanted someone to double check for me. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f11024&gardpostnr=50&personpostnr=1180&merk=1180#ovre

Sorry, posted the wrong link first. This one is right.

Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 01/11/2007 18:56:14
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  19:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone take a look at this birth record for Anders Knutsen and tell me what the farm name is for his father, Knud Andersen? #1 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9499&idx_id=9499&uid=ny&idx_side=-29

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article