All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 Locations
 Ringsaker Farms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hilinegal
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2007 :  21:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather, John Staff, was born on a farm near Ringsaker, Norway, May 28, 1874. The entire family (at that time) immigrated to the U.S. in 1888, I believe, after selling the Ringsaker farm.
According to a family genealogy, great grandfather Thomas Staff was born in Ringsaker, in 1847 and married Mathea Johannesdatter Vindjue. Children included daughter Agnetta Staff, July 7, 1869, son Mathias Staff, July 10, 1871, my grandfather, and Elizabeth Staff, July 26, 1876.
My husband, son and his family will be in Norway with me in early September. We plan on visiting the church in Ringsaker (if we can locate it) as we believe there are family headstones in the cemetery. We would like to see if the photo we have of the supposed house is from the farm, but do not know if the farm, Mo, is the one referred to in family stories.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2007 :  23:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas, his wife and three children, lived at Mo farm in Ringsaker at the time of the 1875 Norwegian census.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=27&filnamn=f70412&gardpostnr=1250&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2007 :  23:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
this must be your family, dep. port Oslo July 6. 1888, dest. Helena, Montana on ship Rollo Click here

There are 10 churches in Ringsaker municipality, so when your grandfather´s record is found you will see what church/churches you are going to visit Click here
Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 20/08/2007 23:56:41
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2007 :  23:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas was born 20 Sept 1844 on one of the Staff farms in Ringsaker which explains the origin of the surname the family later took. See the birth/baptismal record #106 -
Ringsaker parish record
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  00:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This map will show you Ringsaker in Hedmark county is not fare from Oslo Aiport Gardermoen at Jessheim.
Ringsaker is also close to Lillehammer -94 olympic, Click here

Edited by - Kċarto on 21/08/2007 00:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  00:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas Mathiasen and Mathea Johannesdatter married in Ringsaker Nov. 12. 1868 #42 Thomas from farm Staff and Mathea born on farm Vindjue

Vindjue farm in 1865, Mathea age 22,her father Johannes Olsen and mother Agnete Olsdr and 4 siblings.

Widow Ingeborg Olsdr age 77 in the same cencus was fdk-fĝderċdskvinne, prior owner of the farm, now given free room and food for the rest og her life.
She was Mathea´s grandmother

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 21/08/2007 01:09:08
Go to Top of Page

hilinegal
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  05:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks you all so very much. I was delighted with your assistance.
We'll be staying in Lillehammer and would like to visit the Ringsaker area. The map indicates it is just south of Moelv and close to the lake. If we want to visit the church and/or the farm Mo how would we locate either or both?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  09:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
enter Map and write Ringsaker in "Sĝk etter sted",press "Sĝk", enter Ringsaker kirke and watch farm Vinju down page, dobbelclick on Vinju and watch the farm by changing to Satelitt.

Write Moelv and enter Moelv, Ringsaker(stasjon), dobbelclick on Mo and watch the farm from the satelite.

I havn´t found Staff so fare.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  10:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search for Stav Ringsaker rather than Staff and you will find the farm in this map
You can zoom in to maximum and see the farm if you click on the airplane view.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/08/2007 12:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  12:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right about Stav Einar, the letter v has been changed to ff, like the name Hov and Hoff in other municipalities

Thomas parents Mattias Thoresen Store Staff age 23 and Elisabeth Thomasdatter age 19 married August 12. 1841 #38

Stav/Staff is likely coming from the old norse Stafr which means staff or pole coming from a steep hill or ridge between the two farms Store (Large) Staff and Lille (Little) Stav.
Staff is first mentioned in 1440 as Sthaffue.

Vinju mentoned first time 1520 as Vinnju ic coming from vin which means gras/pasture, like in Vinland: Grasland/Pastureland.

Mo is mentioned first time as Moo in 1349 and means plain land.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 23/08/2007 07:49:36
Go to Top of Page

hilinegal
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2007 :  05:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your information is really helpful. I am confident we will find the church and the farm. Our planned visit to the Ringsaker area wil be the highlight of our trip. Thank you.
Please pass along any suggestions for making our Norway experience even more memorable.
Go to Top of Page

brenwilli
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  03:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Staff is also my friend 3 great grandfather. Family includes fremming, phalen. We live in Arizona but most of the family was in Washington state and Montana.

brenda williams
Go to Top of Page

brenwilli
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  16:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to e mail hilinegal but it wont let me, is there another way? Family history is so interesting and is great to know where you came from. One day it would be nice if we could come to Norway, but age and health is keeping us here.

brenda williams
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  23:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you have to be a member of the forum for a bit of time before you are able to email through the norwayheritage system.
Go to Top of Page

peder
Advanced member

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  09:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ringsaker resources

http://onshus.no/surnames-oneletter.php?irstchar=
http://www.onshus.no/index.php
http://da4.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=ringutfl&gardpostnr=6610&personpostnr=6610 out migrants 1814-1905

Go to Top of Page

peder
Advanced member

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  09:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://da4.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=ringutfl&gardpostnr=6666&merk=6666#ovre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article