All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Information on Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear T.L. Wright.

Thank you for your efforts. I"m sure there is an explanation. In one of the son's obitiuary (Henry/Haagen) it says they settled in Goodhue County in 1866 and in 1871 moved to Douglas County.

In a grandson's obituary it states that they moved to Goodhue County in 1866 and farmed for 5 years in the HOLDEN Township near Wanamingo. Josias then took his family and they moved to Douglas County and settle in La Grand Township. That would mean 1871

In some biographical information I obtained from the Douglas county historical society it says Josias and his family moved to Douglas County in 1869.

In the other son's obituary (Torsten/Thomas) it states also they moved to Douglas County in 1869, where they homesteaded a farm which at least in 1942 was known as the Emil E. Nelson home of La Grand

So in some information I have them moving to Douglas County in 1869 and in others it is in 1871.

Frankly I'm stumped!

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 10/04/2008 20:36:51
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly, thank you for your kind consideration and interest in my family research. I don't know if my family had any connection to Holden Church. The Boraas people probably did. Do you have a connection there to see if they are members of the Church between 1866 and at the latest 1871?

My Blood Relatives that I am currently researching also settled in Kenyon area of Goodhue. Holden to be exact.

They might be found in the church records under a number of names. Aslaksen, Mikkelsdatter/sen Thompson, or Fauske, Teigen or possibly even Solberg.

We would be looking for a women named Margit b. 1830 and two sons Tor (Theodore) Aslaksen b. 1856 and Oluf b. 1870 that arrived in the summer of 1871 and stayed there until about 1875.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 10/04/2008 20:33:19
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 US Census I see Josias' daughter Annie /Ingeborg(46) still with John Hagen (52), son Gilbert (22) and more children IDA (15), Albert (13), and Annie (10)
living in Duluth, Minnesota
In the 1910 US Census I see John Hagen listed as widowed. I believe Annie passed away on 12-28-1909. I am trying to locate an obituary.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody tell me if the John Hagen listed above, b. abt. 1847 is the older brother to Gunder Hagen, b. abt 1849, also found in Douglas County?

The reason I ask is I see that Josias Boraas purchased a farm in 1884 from Gunder and Johanna Hagen. On of Josias' daughter looks to have married a John Hagen around 1873.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 10/04/2008 21:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  22:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik, your family seems to kind of nibble around the edges of one branch of my family. I've gone through this whole lengthy thead & have yet to find any direct connection. My eastern branch lived on the border of Aust Adger & Telemark. They emigrated at the end of 1853 or early 1854 & settled in Waushara County, Wisconsin. They were members of the Holt Church in Mount Morris, which is one that does have a connection with the Holden churches.

Part of the problem may be my reliance on the research of a distant cousin. I don't know if the people that I have from "Solberg" are from the same Solberg as yours. Most of the information that I have is from the Holt Parish, but I have people in several other parishes in the region. Some from "Vestre Solberg" were in the Vegaarshei Parish (I've no idea if that is even the parish your people were from).

Looking at a list of all of the parishes in AA in 1801, many of them look familiar to me & I haven't done any serious work on that branch of my family for about 5 years. A few of the parishes in Telemark also ring some bells. I have about 5000 people in my DB from that region. You just keep talking & I'll just continue to search my DB to see if I can find that thread that links your people to mine.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  23:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still trying to find the other "Missing" daughter of Josias. In the written information I have she is named Annie and married a Paul Johnson and they resided in Iowa but by the time of her death she was in Faribault, MN. In the same written information it lists her sister as "Emma" but I believe they have it backwards.

Annie, originally known as Ingeborg married John Hagen and they lived in Duluth. So I am thinking that the other "Missing" daughter really was known as "Emma".

I feel she would have been born prior to 1853 because Jan Peter found this family in the 1865 census and there were no daughters with the family, and Annie/Ingeborg was 12 years old living with a family nearby as a servant. I am thinking her sister must have been doing something similar or perhaps married. She certainly would not have gone by EMMA in Norway, this is Americanized name. But I don't know what her Norwegian name could have been.

This is why I am trying to find the 1870 census.....to learn more about this girl.

And also to try and reconcile what my family's written information is saying, that Josias and Ingeborg came to American with their 4 children, when the ship's manifest shows they only came over the the two boys.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 10/04/2008 23:05:39
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  23:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the original image for their arrival in 1866. No girls mentioned...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  23:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jan Peter. Where are you getting access to the original document?

Do you see record of the immigration in 1866 or 1867 of Margit's sister,....

Kari b. 1834 and Ola Helgeson Berg b.1829 with their children Ambjor b. 1860, Birgit b. 1856, Helge b. 1859 ---------Caroline having been born in 1868 and Martin in 1872 after their arrival.....

I see the family in the 1870 census in Goodhue County, Kenyon under the name of HELGERSON.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  23:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the girls! They came over with the Bark Franklin, leaving Trondheim Apr. 28 1869, arriving Quebec June 18.

Ingeborganna Jossiasdatter (18), from Stjørdalen
Anna Jossiasdatter (22), from Stjørdalen

Confirmation record #28, 02 OCT 1864:
Anne Josiasdatter Boraasgjerdet, born 08 DEC 1848
Parents Josias Torstensen & Ingeborg Hemmingsdatter

Source: Nord-Trøndelag county, Hegra in Øvre Stjørdal, Parish register (official) nr. 703A02 (1863-1879), Confirmation records 1864, page 84.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  23:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Josiasdatter (17) was a servant on Leangsviken farm in Frosta parish, Nord-Trøndelag, census-1865.

Mali Hemingsdatter is probably her aunt, ie a sister of Ingeborg Hemmingsdatter.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 10/04/2008 23:53:22
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  00:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy we found them.

The access to the original arrival documents for Quebec can be done from http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/, but they are not indexed (searchable) by passenger names. You have to know the name of the ship, which was Victor in 1866 and Franklin in 1869 for the girls.

Christening record # 15, 1849.
Source: Nord-Trøndelag county, Stjørdal/Nedre Stjørdal (Værnes), Parish register (official) nr. 709A14 (1845-1858), Birth and baptism records 1849, page 63.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/04/2008 00:22:49
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  18:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

You should look for this:

Farmname: Solbergeiet
Land number: 45 (Norw: Gårdsnummer, Gnr)
Title number: 5 (Norw: Bruksnummer, Bnr)
Parish: Nedre Eiker (Norw: Sogn/Herred)
County: Buskerud

The book is most likely sorted by landnumbers. Look for land number 45, and title number 5, which was the farm owned by Kristoffer Kaspersen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dear Jan Peter.

I have the Modum bydgebok and it is sorted by Garde number. But garde number 45 is not Solbergeit. Is there another bydgebok I should be looking at for this farm?

thank you.

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  19:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I think there's been some kind of mistake here.

Christian Caspersen is born 13 Oct 1831 in Modum, Buskerud, but that is not where he lived when he died.

Christian died at Solberg-eiet, which is a farm in the neighboring parish Nedre Eiker. So the bygdebok for Nedre Eiker is where you should look to find the Solberg farms.
As said earlier; they should be listed under farm number 45 in Nedre Eiker. But I'm not sure if there exist a bygdebok for the area...?

Farm number 45 in Modum would be a farm called Kaldåker, but that is way off.

You could find Christian Caspersen in the Modum bygdebok though, since he is born there. Look for his parents Casper Christophersen (Kasper Kristoffersen) & Pernelle Knudsdatter.
Not sure what farm they lived on in Modum...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 30/04/2008 19:16:47
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  20:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian is #5
father carpenter Casper Christophersen and mother Pernille Knudsdatter. (Cannot read farm, but they were Inderste - renters).
There are no bygdebøker for Eiker/Nedre/Øvre Eiker.
In 1865 Christian is with his brother and mother at Solberg in nedre Eiker, see here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/04/2008 20:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  21:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter, yes you are right. Farm # 45 is Kaldaker. You said Christian Kasperson died at Solbergeit. What year did he die?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  21:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He died Nov 11th, 1870.

It was actually you who found him...

The question is; can he be the father of Oluf, born April 18th, 1870? And where is Oluf born?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article