All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Carl Elison - Berlin, Iowa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  21:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some help finding information about a Carl (Karl) Elison who resided at a place given as Berlin, Iowa. Several of my my gggrandmother's nephews emigrated and on the passenger lists they all say they are going to stay with Carl Eliason, and it seams he prepaid their tickets. The persons below all were siblings, and I would also appreciate any information regarding any of them and their descendants in the US.

1. Sigvard Sørensen Fiskaaen departed from Aalesund May 27th, 1903 with a prepaid ticket with the White Star Line and arrived at new York on the S/S Cedric on June 14th. Destination: "friend" Carl Elison, Berlin, Iowa.
2. Sigvard (Olaf Marius) Fiskkaaen (same person as above?) arrived New York on the S/S Caronia May 5th 1909, dest.: Berlin, Iowa, Carl Elison
3. Gyda (Sigvarda Marie) Fiskaaen departed on the S/S Hellig Olav Sept. 29th 1911, dest.: Berlin, Iowa Carl Elison
4. Alfa Leonarda Georgine Fiskaaen departed Sept. 13th, 1912 on S/S Hellig Olav - destinations: Berlin, Iowa "cousin" Carl Elison.

I am trying to sort this Elison person out, I cant find him in the Digitalarkivet emigration databases. I also have problems identifying Berlin, Iowa. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Børge Solem

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  21:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick answer -
I can identify Berlin in Hardin County, Iowa.
The area is included within the area for the "Norwegian Heritage in Story County and Central Iowa" website.
http://genloc.com/NorStory/

Neighboring Story County Iowa was one of the early settlement areas for large numbers of early Norwegian emigrants west of the Mississippi River.

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  23:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is more than one Berlin, Iowa, one is in Iowa County and the other appears to be near Tama, Lincoln, Iowa and in America people generally ended up with a double l.

Here is Carl's World War II draft registration, born in Norway 1882:

WWI
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  23:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Carl Ellison and his parents Ole & Martha and sister (?) Carllena and ALSO Sivard Fiskon in the 1905 Iowa, Tama County state census:

1905 Iowa

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 31/07/2007 23:47:58
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  23:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those links to WWI and 1905 Iowa don't work if you are not a subscriber to Ancestry.com.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for telling me, I will send to Børge offlist. They work when I send them in regular email, I guess they don't want them posted on the www.

Here is the info:

1905 Iowa, Tama, Lincoln, post office Berlin:
Ole Ellison
Mrs. Martha Ellison
Carllena Ellison
Carl Ellison
Sigvard Fiskon
The state census' had very little information, mostly a people count.

1910 census, they are all in Tama including Sigvard:

Ole Elllison, 37, born Norway, married 11 years, section -- railroad.
Martha, 33, born Norway, 3 children, 2 living
Caroline, 10, born Iowa
Wilford, son, 3, born Iowa
Carl Ellison, brother, 28, born Norway, carpenter
Sigvert Fiskkaaen, born Norway, immigrated 1909, labor, construction
No immigration dates for Ole or Carl.

World War I Draft Registration, Sept. 12, 1918
Carl Ellison, born September 23, 1882, Norway
Citizenship - Declarant
Residence, Lincoln, Tama, Iowa
Carpenter
Nearest relative -Ole Ellison
Gladbrook, Tama, Iowa
Medium height/build, blue eyes, dark hair.

Carl is also in the 1915 Tama State census, he is a carpenter and still single, no other information.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 US census Tama County Iowa shows Ole Ellison (age37), wife Martha (age 33), Iowa born children Caroline and Wilfred, with Ole's brother Carl 'Ellison' (28 years old) and unmarried boarder "Sigvart Fisksain" (20 years old).
Ole and Martha are still in Tama County for the 1920 US census but Carl and Sigvart are no longer living with them.

Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch, looks like a breakthrough
However, I can't follow the links as I don't have an ancestry.com subscription. I'll might have to subscribe for a while then. I notice when doing research on the web that a growing amount of material that was before free, now is pay services. Ancestry.com seams to be absorbing a great deal of the old stand alone sites. I was attempting to do the "Ellis Island search in one step" from the http://stevemorse.org page today, and could not get the results without subscribing to Ancestry.com. Genealogy seams to be becoming big business. The other day I even had an inquiry from someone with the World Vital Records about licensing some of the content on the Norway Heritage website

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always say, All Roads Lead to Ancestry.com. It is really infortunate what is happening.

I can send you the links in a regular email, I have done that with my cousins but it would not have any more information then I already listed.

There is alot of noise about the Ellis Island site starting to charge for searching. They never mention that it was LDS volunteers who transcribed all that information and Ancestry jumped on the band wagon after the project had started and they must have promised to offer it free and since they stopped offering the Family History Centers their Ancestry Library Edition for no charge who knows what will happen.

If you could give us the ages of the four people it may help someone find them. They do have really unusual names and who knows what they used in the U.S. and then the girls get married and on and on.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  01:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borge, I can probably capture the1910 US census image as a JPG or TIF file and send it to you directly as an email attachment. It doesn't give much information other than verify the young man's place of residence as of 22 April 1910.
If you'd like it anyway just let me know.

I do NOT subscribe to Ancestry.com -- but I use another service with slightly different capabilities that is offered through my local public library and my State Archives department.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  01:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just said I would send the images to him, and I said that twice. And you just repeated the 1910 census information I posted, what for? Is this some sort of a contest, one upmanship? It isn't for me that is for sure. Do you not read the prior postings before jumping in? Sheesh.

I ALSO have access to the census images FREE online from Heritage Quest through my local library.

ANYWAY, Alfa Fiskaaen married someone named Nagel. She is in the FREE Rootsweb.com database. She died in Alameda, County, CA on November 4, 1986, born Other Country, maiden name Fiskaaen.

There is a son, Clifford Nagel, listed there also.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  01:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alfa married:
Ben Otto Nagel, born December 23, 1883, Alesun, Norway.
He was a chief engineer for Standard Oil Co.
He died January 1973, in Berkeley, Alameda, CA
World War II registration & FREE Rootsweb.com Social Security database.

In the January 13, 1920 census, they are in Berkeley:

Ben, 35, born Norway, parents German. Chief engineer
Alfa, born Norway
Clifford, 9 months old, born California

In the 1930 census, they are in Berkeley, he is a Chief Engineer for Standard Oil Co.
Alfa and Clifford, same info
Bernice A. , 3 years/2months, born CA

Per the FREE Rootsweb.com database, Bernice was born on January 5, 1927.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great help!

I located a Clifford Soren Nagel by using WhitePages.com, but I could not retrieve his address as it was again some sort of additional pay service. However, the person listed is very likely Alfa's son, as he is listed as 87 year old, living somewhere in Berkeley CA, and with an additional listing in El Cerrito CA.

The siblings of Alfa which went to America was as earlier listed Sigvard Olaf Marius Sørensen Fiskaaen, he was born in Aalesund Sept. 09th,1883 and his sister Gyda (Sigvarda Marie) Fiskaaen born Oct. 24th 1881, Aalesund.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  05:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Borge The Stephen Morse website still has a free search site Click Here
Bummer on Clifford Soren Nagel in California 2 1/2 years ago I lived within 10 miles and could have looked him up. I will see if I can contact someone out there to check the phone book

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  21:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will certainty appreciate any help connecting to the Nagel family, as this is really a fantastic breakthrough for me. Now after doing genealogy for many years I thought I had reached dead end in most of my branches, but the new scanned church records at the Digitalarkivet made it possible to find a new piece information, and now it might lead to more then I could ever have hoped for

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  05:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Borge, Bad news on Clifford Soren Nagel. The social security death index has him listed as dead 16 Sep 1995 and his birth date as 29 Mar 1919. Last residence Berkeley CA.

Carla

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article